Absence seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jake

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been aware of having an Absence Seizure?
Since they are Generalized I didn’t think the person having the seizure had any knowledge of it.

Thanks for help,

Considering my memory sucks after having one, it's VERY difficult to say.

I have auras sometimes and have that, "Oh crap! Not again!" and I can't stop it (even with my VNS and magnet). Then I'll also have "after effects" sorta speak. I'll feel confused and tired and as mentioned, my memory will be totally wiped.

So I'd say from my personal experience, I might have a "cue" that I'm about to have one, but then I can't do anything. Then, after many of times after having one (confirmed by my parents), I have learned the "feeling" of the after effects.

As far as literally being aware DURING the seizure itself, I'd lean towards "No" in that I am unable to do anything about it (ie stop it!). Plus, I have no recollection of what EXACTLY happened during that time. Plus, my parents are the only ones that can tell me how long the seizure was. I'm not looking at my watch and timing it because I'm literally "not all there" during that moment in time (ie if I was aware of it, I'd at least see how long it lasted or tell the person(s) nearby that I'm having a seizure right now, please do not disturb).

Thank you Army Vet for your reply and thank you VERY much for your service to our Country!
Everyone I’ve ever met with E has a memory that “sucks.”
I’ve talked to a few people who claim to be aware of their Tonic Clonics but I never was. I don’t understand how this can be in a Generalized seizure.
Thanks again for your reply,
Jake

Hi Jake,

I've had absence seizures for 47 yrs. and the only time I know I'm going to have one is when I have an aura seizure right before the absence seizure. If I tighten up all my muscles and make my hands into tight fists when the aura starts it will sometimes stop the absence seizure. I learned about this back in the 1970's from the neuro I had.
During the absence seizures it reminds me of amnesia I will still talk to a person and if I'm cooking dinner I will continue on I just don't remember it.
The reason why they call absence seizures generalized is because activity is firing up from both sides of the brain. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

My wife used to have multiple absence seizures every day. She was never conscious of the seizure itself, but she usually figured out she'd had one if she was in the middle of a conversation because she knew what it meant when people were looking at her expectantly - usually because she stopped talking mid sentence.

Back
Top Bottom