Absent Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just got EEG & MRI results. So, I was told that my brain is normal -- MRI is good. However, the nurse said that my EEG was abnormal. She said that it covers with the history of my absent seizures (whatever she meant). But, there was no seizure on the EEG itself.
I am a bit confused about this, so how my EEG can be abnormal without having a seizure?
I asked her "how can we make it normal" and she said, that my body is extremely sensitive and I should not ever allowed to miss the doze. Also, I should stay on 100 mg twice a day of Lamotrigine (I am on that doze for 3 years).
At the end she said that I should go back to my normal life routine in around 6 months (which is operating machinery etc).
This conversation made me really confused. If my EEG is abnormal, why cant we just fix it by increasing my doze of med? Or maybe change it for something different?

I am a bit confused about this, so how my EEG can be abnormal without having a seizure?
You can have an abnormal EEG without having a seizure: There are abnormal brainwave patterns that appear between seizures, that are a marker for epilepsy. It tends to be a certain pattern of spikes and waves. These brainwaves are called "epileptogenic", meaning that they inidcate you are vulnerable to having a seizure.

If my EEG is abnormal, why cant we just fix it by increasing my doze of med?
It's possible that increasing the med would "suppress" the abnormal brainwaves, but it might not. I've had abnormal brainwaves on all my EEGs, and I haven't had a seizure for 10 years. I think the nurse is assuming the missed dose led to the seizure, so there's no point in increasing.

However it can't hurt to ask about testing your blood serum levels, and/or increasing the dose or trying a different med -- don't be afraid to be pushy about this.

It's possible that increasing the med would "suppress" the abnormal brainwaves, but it might not. I've had abnormal brainwaves on all my EEGs, and I haven't had a seizure for 10 years. I think the nurse is assuming the missed dose led to the seizure, so there's no point in increasing.

However it can't hurt to ask about testing your blood serum levels, and/or increasing the dose or trying a different med -- don't be afraid to be pushy about this.

I had already blood serum level and Lamorigine is 4.1 ug/ml.

I've had at least 4 EEGs done. I definitely recall a simple partial occurring during one--that's when they realized that the "weird feelings" I had were actually seizures. My neuros have always told me that they see abnormal activity during the others.

I had already blood serum level and Lamorigine is 4.1 ug/ml.
That may be a little low, but your neuro is the one who will know how that compares to any prior measurements (it also depends on whether the test was done at trough levels). Ask your neuro for more guidance about next steps.

She told me that it is fine.. It seems low to me as well, like the bottom of the range. But she wants to keep it that way.

Should I change my neuro?

Hi xUmabu,

A persons e.e.g. doesn't' have to show a seizure to see if there's any problems. It will show spikes in the brain when a person
sees the flashing light sometimes or if the Dr. has a person breathing rapidly. I've had many tests done before I had surgery
and the Dr. found problems on the right temporal lobe of my brain but when they did the surgery they found damage on the left
side also that not a single test showed because the damage was to deep in the brain for any test to show and this could be what's
going on with you. As far as seeing another Dr. I have found it good to get a second opinion and I've gotten the best help from
an Epileptologist because they know more about treating epilepsy. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

In a CT scan, my doctors also saw scar tissue on the right side of my brain. That is there because I was a forceps delivery. It is in the same area that I would often say those "weird feelings" (the simple partials) seemed to originate.

Considering that my complex partials occur without warning, I'm very happy that I don't take chances driving. I've had some pretty scary seizures recently, & I didn't even know that they happened until after I fully "came out" of them & saw my injuries.

Well, I live in America so driving is essential. Since my last post I haven't experience any seizures, and I hope it will stay that way.
I wish my doctor would increase the doze (so I would feel more safe) but she doesn't want to.

I live in the US too--in Illinois, near Chicago. I have to rely on my husband to take me everywhere.

Considering that my complex partials occur without warning, I'm very happy that I don't take chances driving. I've had some pretty scary seizures recently, & I didn't even know that they happened until after I fully "came out" of them & saw my injuries.
Sabbo
I'm the same, my seizures arent as scarey as yours and I do sometimes get warning but often lately I'm not getting a warning before I go into a complex partial or if I do it's very short.

My last seizure was in front of my father. He'd just taken me down the street to run an errand and we were literaly around the corner from my house when I went into the seizure. Dad said when he pulled up I was in the seizure so once he knew I was OK he got me inside and stayed until I was fine.
I only remember us driving then telling my Dad back at my place id have a lay down (after he asked if I was OK)

It was a sudden decision for my Dad to take me, if he hadn't taken me I would've either been walking down the street or in the bank (the errand I was doing).

Hi Sabbo,

Just like you I have scar tissue on the right temporal lobe of my brain but when they did surgery to reduce the seizures yrs.
ago they found damage across the forehead and over to the left temporal lobe that was in so deep that not a single test would
show it. They told me the reason the spread of the damage was from yrs. of so many seizures. I never started having complex
partial seizures until 2 yrs. after I began having absence seizures. You may want to ask your Dr. if there's a possibility of more
damage being to deep in the brain like mine that's causing the seizures. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom