Adrenal Fatigue

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
It seems like a day doesn't go by that I don't hear something new that could have an effect on the body to cause seizures. Have any of you researched how adrenal fatigue can create an environment that would support symptoms such as seizures?

your adrenal hormones can be half of the optimum level and still be labeled "normal". Such "normal" level of adrenal hormones does not mean that the patient is free from adrenal fatigue. Conventional doctors are not taught the significance of sub-clinical adrenal fatigue. They are misguided by blood tests which are not sensitive enough to detect sub-clinical adrenia. As a results, patients tested for adrenal functions are told they are "normal" but in reality, their adrenal glands are performing sub-optimally, with clear signs and symptoms as the body cries out for help and attention.
http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_format/adrenal_fatigue.cfm#3

That's odd that you posted this. I was just chatting with a friend about adrenal fatigue right before coming here. Adrenal fatigue is more or less like pre-fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist has/had fibro himself and learned to heal himself from it. He just had a book published last year, it's called The Fibromyalgia Solution by Dr. David Dryland. Just as in the adrenal fatigue, he believes the base of fibro is stress, or overactivation of the flight-or-fright response. In the end, you end up completely dopamine depleted.

He thinks the stress of me having to deal with E is one of the stresses involved in my fibro developing, along with other stresses in my life. Not so much that the adrenal depletion is the cause of the seizures, but it's the other way around. There are many other risk factors for developing adrenal fatigue/fibro also. Sleep apnea puts someone at high rish, because the body thinks it's dying 100 times a night...everytime you stop breathing, your body releases adrenaline to make you breath again. This will happen over and over all night long, so your body has been releasing adrenaline all night. You never get the proper amount of stage 3 and stage 4 sleep, which are the stages your body needs to heal itself with, and to also replenish your dopamine. It's a viscous, nasty cycle.

So yes, there could be a relationship between the adrenal fatigue and seizures, but I think the stress of having to deal with a chronic illness or disorder would be a factor in adrenal fatigue development.

Its funny how this subject has come alight.Im so happy in a way because Ive been ignored by people when Ive told them what happens to me.
My problem starts usually on mornings. I get an awful feeling,then get extremely unsteady on my feet to the point where I must sit down or fall! I start to twitch and have memory blocks, if it gets worse I end up with small seizures.
I have been taking notice of these things for a long time and Im convinced that when my adrenalin kicks in ( working quickly, or stress, or being upset) all of a sudden my symptoms kick in very quick and Im ill.
I wondered if I have low blood sugar that maybe account for any of this but Im sure that adrenaline is a deffinate factor.
Any ideas as to how to stop these?
Luv Lynn xx

New topic to me

Is there a test for this problem? How is it diagnosed?

Years ago, we saw a pattern in my sz that they hit not during times of stress, but very shortly after the stress was gone. For example, very busy at work and then a sz a couple of days into vacation.

Since I am currently sz controlled, I can't say that there is a pattern today. However, when I am really busy for a stretch (like with my Mom in the hospital), I crash big time when the stress eases up.

This is probably just a normal crash for me because when it is important, I seem to have plenty of adrenalin to keep me going. But when I crash, I am done for a day or two.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

:ponder:

Buckeye, I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I wonder if you took some L-Dopa supplement, or another supplement called mucuna pruriens (it contains natural L-Dopa) during your stressful times, if it would prevent you from crashing. High adrenaline release robs your dopamine levels, and the L-Dopa converts to dopamine in the body. I take the mucuna in addition with Mirapex, another dopamine medication.

I know this is a long shot, I just wonder if the drop in dopamine is a seizure trigger for you. It could also possibly be toxins from the excess chemicals and hormones your body releases from the stress.

Thanks - I am going to definitely look into that one. Those crashes really disrupt life.

Wow, Mama

that's an interesting bit of news to hear. I'd never considered the idea that adrenal fatigue is like a pre-fibromyalgia. It does make sense though. I, too, have fibro, but mine has been brought on by a number of injuries (thanks to E). But I've honestly never heard of anyone being cured of it. WOW. That would be sooo cool.

Buckeye, you'd have to have bloodwork done to check to see if your adrenal glands are working properly or not.

I am just wrapping my brain around this and from my understanding it isn't that fibro is like adrenal fatigue, but more that if the adrenal cortex is not working properly than you have a symptom similar to fibro (and many others) as well as the possiblity of seizures. It helps to metabolize carbs and regulates blood sugar.
Proponents of the adrenal fatigue diagnosis claim this is a mild form of adrenal insufficiency caused by chronic stress. The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. As a result, they can't produce quite enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests, according to this theory, aren't sensitive enough to detect such a small decline in adrenal function — but your body is. That's why you feel tired, weak and depressed.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

http://www.umm.edu/endocrin/adrengl.htm
http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22683/router.asp
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/meid:43465

There are supplements that support the adrenal cortex. You might discuss this with someone knowledgable.

This is a very good article. I suggest that you read the entire article.

Do You Have Adrenal Fatigue?

When the adrenal glands are not functionining optimally, you can have a condition that is known as adrenal fatigue, or adrenal exhaustion. Adrenal fatigue often develops after periods of intense or lengthy physical or emotional stress, when overstimulation if the glands leave them unable to meet your body's needs.

Some other names for the syndrome include non-Addison's hypoadrenia, sub-clinical hypoadrenia, hypoadrenalism, and neurasthenia.

Symptoms include:

* excessive fatigue and exhaustion
* non-refreshing sleep (you get sufficient hours of sleep, but wake fatigued)
* overwhelmed by or unable to cope with stressors
* feeling rundown or overwhelmed
* craving salty and sweet foods
* you feel most energetic in the evening
* a feeling of not being restored after a full night's sleep or having sleep disturbances
* low stamina, slow to recover from exercise
* slow to recover from injury, illness or stress
* difficulty concentrating, brain fog
* poor digestion
* low immune function
* food or environmental allergies
* premenstrual syndrome or difficulties that develop during menopause
* consistent low blood pressure
* extreme sensitivity to cold

Dr. Bruce Rind has a helpful chart, Metabolic Scorecard: Symptom Matrix with information on how to evaluate your symptoms in greater detail.http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic...&zu=http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp <===== a very good page

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/endocrinology/a/adrenalfatigue.htm

Last edited:
Its funny how this subject has come alight.Im so happy in a way because Ive been ignored by people when Ive told them what happens to me.

Any ideas as to how to stop these?
Luv Lynn xx

Sorry I didn't answer you back when....

Hopefully some of the new links I just posted will help you make some decisions as to what YOU can do to create health in this area.

I bought some adrenal cortex from http://www.nutricology.com/
and I have introduced this to Rebecca's vitamin regimen. One of the charts I just posted is very informative.... almost a check list to take to your doctor.

But I've honestly never heard of anyone being cured of it. WOW. That would be sooo cool.
I have a friend that has this and is very controlled with diet. A plan similar to the GARD.
Buckeye, you'd have to have bloodwork done to check to see if your adrenal glands are working properly or not.
Problem is... from what I have read, is that the blood work comes back normal when in actuality there is a problem. I am learning that tests are not always conclusive.

Thank you so much for the info. I have alot of the symptoms that were listed in the Quote "Do you have Adrenal Fatigue" My Dr. has done alot of blood tests and always says everything is on the "low side of normal", and I'm always left thinking "what?".

I checked out the cardmatrix web-site and I bounced back and forth between the adrenal fatigue and the hypothyroidism which I was diagnosed with 3 years ago. I currently take a dose of synthroid in the morning.

For now, I think I will look into the Dopamine further as that seems natural, easy, logical, without adverse effects. I will let you know if I see a change.

I am going to post this, not to alarm you in any way. I hesitate to mention this, because I am not into diagnosing but in to looking at all possibilities.

Dopamine is what is missing in Parkinson's. I had two family members that had PD and took L-Dopa. There are a lot of speculations as to what is the cause, but nothing is known at this time. I am concerned, since I have it on both sides of my family. I know that it is not hereditary, but it could be caused by a toxin or virus that damages the nervous system. Prehaps a genetic marker... I keep reading

http://tcw2.ppsw.rug.nl/~vdbosch/pd.html#Heading4

According to The LA times & American College of Physicians there is no such thing as Adrenal Fatigue.
Everyone knows there is a lot of garbage on the Internet, particularly medical information that is distorted, misleading or flat-out wrong. The Hormone Foundation, the public-education affiliate of the Endocrine Society, on Wednesday issued fact sheets about two "Internet diseases": diseases that exist only in the minds of people who post about them on the Internet. The so-called diseases in question are adrenal fatigue and Wilson's temperature syndrome, diseases apparently conceived only in an effort to sell products promoted to treat them.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/15/news/la-heb-internet-diseases-20100915

Ever heard of adrenal fatigue? Wilson's temperature syndrome? If not, there's a good reason: They exist only on the Internet.
http://blog.acpinternist.org/2010/09/qd-news-every-day-taking-aim-at-fake.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcpInternistBlog+%28ACP+Internist+Blog%29

Last edited:
"Non-Addison's hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue) is not usually severe enough to be featured on TV or to be considered a medical emergency. In fact, modern medicine does not even recognize it as a distinct syndrome. Nevertheless, it can wreak havoc with your life.

In the more serious cases of adrenal fatigue, the activity of the adrenal glands is so diminished that the person may have difficulty getting out of bed for more than a few hours per day. With each increment of reduction in adrenal function, every organ and system in your body is more profoundly affected."[7]

Wilson, James. "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome." Smart Publications, p. 7, 2002

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/about/over...sts/Pages/transcript_perspectives_082613.aspx

"Non-Addison's hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue) is not usually severe enough to be featured on TV or to be considered a medical emergency. In fact, modern medicine does not even recognize it as a distinct syndrome. Nevertheless, it can wreak havoc with your life.

I highly doubt something so un-severe as to not only be overlooked by the media but also be unheard of by any medical journal or proper medical professional is probably not going to wreak havoc with my life lol.

The problem is that there is no evidence to suggest a such thing exists. Not only do thousands of endocrinologists say there's no such thing but Scott Gavura also points out that the symptoms are so general that everyone has had them. Also, your link makes no mention of adrenal fatigue or Non-Addison's hypoadrenia though it does discuss medically recognized issues of the adrenal glands but no mention of any existence of adrenal fatigue.

This same vague collection of symptoms is called something entirely different in the alternative health world. It’s branded “adrenal fatigue,” an invented condition that’s widely embraced as real among alternative health providers. There’s no evidence that adrenal fatigue actually exists. The public education arm of the Endocrine Society, representing 14,000 endocrinologists, recently issued the following advisory:

“Adrenal fatigue” is not a real medical condition. There are no scientific facts to support the theory that long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress drains the adrenal glands and causes many common symptoms.

Unequivocal words. But facts about adrenal fatigue neatly illustrate why a science-based approach is a consumer’s best protection against being diagnosed with a fake disease.

The adrenals are a pair of glands that sit on the kidneys and produce several hormones, including the stress hormones epinephrine and norepiniephrine that are associated with the “fight or flight” response. Can you tire these glands out? In the absence of any scientific evidence, chiropractor and naturopath James Wilson coined the term “adrenal fatigue” in his 1998 book of the same name. Take a look at the James’ own questionnaire, at adrenalfatigue.org, to see if you have have it. Do you ever experience the following?

Tired for no reason?
Having trouble getting up in the morning?
Need coffee, cola, salty or sweet snacks to keep going?
Feeling run down and stressed?
Crave salty or sweet snacks?
Struggling to keep up with life’s daily demands?
Can’t bounce back from stress or illness?
Not having fun anymore?
Decreased sex drive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have adrenal fatigue.

Some lifestyles are apparently more vulnerable to adrenal fatigue, including single parents, shift workers, an “unhappily married person”, and the “person who is all work, no play.” There’s no information provided to substantiate the quiz, qualify the vague terminology, or link to any relevant literature. (Of course there is the usual Quack Miranda warning which makes all of this possible: “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration … etc.”)

Based on this quiz, it’s safe to assume that adrenal fatigue is the most prevalent fake disease in the world

Fatigued by a Fake Disease

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom