Advice for myoclonic jerks

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaksMum

New
Reaction score
Hello... I'll start with the old line of "I'm new & looking for some advice, guidance & support.." I'm a single mum of a beautiful girl, Makaede (pronounced Mah-kay-dee) who is nearly 11 months old. We've been on this journey since she was around 4 weeks old. But seeing Dr's since she was around 6-7 months old. (Her activity only increased just before 6 months, until then I thought I was just being a "first time mum"). Mak has been diagnosed with myoclonic jerks. But the Dr's are hesitant to diagnose her with full epilepsy because of her age & the fact that her seizure activity does not require medication as yet (read it is not affecting her development). We have had a 1/2 hour EEG where she was the perfect patient & slept for 15 minutes, was awake for 15 minutes & she did a jerk during her light test. It was all videotaped. The neurologist said there were "sqiggles" during her jerk. However, all other brain activity was normal. They did not feel that she needed medication. Mak will cluster jerk up to 30 times an hour on a good day for every other hour in that day.. I think it's a lot, but apparently it isn't.

My Mother (she's a special needs teacher) thinks she has absence seizures & has since she was born. I worried about this too as she stares off & goes somewhere else. But she is a very calm baby, which makes it hard. But you can't bring her back sometimes..

I've found it hard to obtain any information on babies that aren't having major seizures.. or absence seizure. I guess I'm looking for information from those who experience it. It's also been hard to find information on babies with myoclonic jerks. I guess because of the difficulty (hesitance?) in diagnosing babies with anything whilst their brains are developing.

Mak's fathers Aunt was diagnosed with epilepsy at 50 & Mak's birth was considered a hard, traumatic birth in that I pushed for 2 hours (I still thought it was ok - I had nothing else to compare it to!). I don't know if these directly contribute, I'm just giving a bit of history..

I keep a diary of her activity & know that she has alot more activity when she is overtired or overstimulated (& definitely both!). I guess my questions are: Does anyone else have experiences with babies that have myoclonic jerks with abnormal brain activity that they would like to share? And.. should I be doing further invasive testing to get an official diagnosis or wait until, if, the activity increases? I really don't want to put her on meds if I don't have to. I don't know when the seizure activity is strong enough to warrant meds..

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Hi MaksMum, welcome to CWE!

I believe valproate is the med of choice for infant myoclonic seizures, but I think they like to wait until age 2 before starting it. I don't have a child with epilepsy myself, so I hope others will chime in to help answer your questions.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi and welcome. I have a 14 1/2 month old little boy who is still to be diagnosed. He was a little "different' from birth, he's my 3rd child. Around 6months his reflux became chronic, he developed bronchiolitis which didn't go away and then started having these uncontrolled arm shudders. When I first told the GP he basically said my bub was just attention seeking!!! Luckily he had a cluster of these in another GP's office 2 weeks later and I burst into tears that someone actually believed me now. She said video them. I showed them to his Paed and she immediately booked him for an an EEG a few days later. His "events" were his body would go stiff, eyes wide open and his arms would shudder/shake quickly and violently, sometimes only his upper half would go stiff. I also had noticed him "vaguing" out. Anyway his events got worse over the weekend and we ended up in the ED. The said he was fine until they saw footage of what he was doing and immediately admitted him, did a whole lot of bloods and were hoping to do an MRI then but hi bronchiolitis made it to risky to give him a GA. Anyway we were saw a Nureo while he was a patient and he said he thought it was "Shudder Syndrome" he had an eeg which looked basically normal. They sent him home 2 days later. Hi events increased to clusters of up to 30 at a time. His Paed booked him back in to hospital for a 24hr EEG. Again nothing much showed the Nureo did not want to know about the ones he "vagued" out in. Again we left hospital being told its fine its just "Shudder Syndrome". We went home and they increased to the stage where he was doing well over 150 a day. I rang the Nureo he didn't want to know basically I was just being a paraniod mother. Anway my sons events kept changing as well as shuddering he was clearly "vaguing out" and going to the side, he would lose control of his arms, his eyes rolled at times back and forwards or sideways, all very strange, he had periods of staring and periods of totally no emotion for over 30minutes. His Paed saw the newer footage and wad watching it going ansence seizure, partial seizure the whole footage. We now have a private paedeatric Nureo who is amazing. He took one look at the footage and also showed another Nureo in his rooms and they all said it looked very much like my son was having Epileptic events. Another EEG back clear. We were given a script for meds incase his events looked uncontrollable. I was not to fill it until I rang Nureo. That was 6 months ago and we still haven't filled it. My son has just had his 5th EEG this time it showed a slowing on the back right side of his brain. My son also now has a slight weakness in his left side which Nureo said ties in with the EEG. He also saw his eyes roll back during the flashing light section of the EEG yet his brain waves barely registered a difference. His development which was pretty normal at 6 months is now around 4months slower but at least his development is still going forward. I put it down to him having so many Shudders in a day that he didn't have time to develop. His Shudders have dropped right back some days none, just other types of events and his weird rashes which come on quickly and go and weird Bowel movements. Last week his shudders flared again, don't know why though. No one can work out what is happening with my little man. Until 3 weeks ago niether his Nureo or Paed gave any idea re a diagnosis as there is so much going on. His Nureo recently mentioned Cerebal Palsy (in passing re the slow brain waves on the back right of his brain) also migraine or a metabolic disorder. His Paed also has mentioned a metabolic disorder. He is booked in for an MRI on 20th July, a few days after he turns 18months and he has an appointment with the Genetics Unit at the Childrens Hospital in June to look into the Metabolic aspect. Its is so frustrating as a parent not knowing what is going on but knowing my son is not right. He has good days and then he has bad. He has his own special quirks. I am just glad though that I didn't listen to the first Nureo I saw who said its just "Shudder Syndrome" and he will grow out of it as we would be so much further behind looking for a cause of whats happening to him than we are now. My sons smile keeps me going to find an answer. Sorry for the long post. I have learn't so much through this board and although I am not sure if my son actually has Epilepsy I have had several Nureologists tell us he is having what look like Epileptic Events. Good luck with your quest to find answers for your little girl.
Donnajane

Wow... what a journey for you.. Ours has been relatively "easy" compared with yours.. Thank you for writing such a detailed post. It's informative to read others experiences & wonderful to know that we are not going through this journey alone.

Mak doesn't appear to have any other issues other than the myoclonic jerks. For the last 6 months though we have been battling sleep issues. I know that she has alot of jerks before she falls asleep. Which appears to be what most of the population has. I am wondering if hers are more full on than non-epileptic people. She seems to only ever be able to sleep for 40 minutes & then cries out & can't resettle. I think what is happening is that her sleep cycle lasts for 40 minutes & then when it gets to that mark where her sleep is lighter, she jerks quite abruptly & this wakes her. It happens all night, so needless to say I am quite sleep deprived. It's just the two of us so I don't have anyone else I can call on to be able to get some much needed sleep.

Mak does shudder during the day. Like someone has walked over her grave. I don't know whether this is "normal" or not..

We have a pediatrician appointment on the 27th so I'll bring up these questions with him too.

Again, thank you for taking the time to communicate with me Donnajane..

Back
Top Bottom