• No

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Unchanged

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Don't Know / N/A

Votes: 39 16.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My answer to the question of does anti-epileptic meds affect my sex life is yes. However throughout the years I found out what caused it was being on too many meds. As soon as 1 med was dropped I saw a difference for the better. Today I still have very minor issues but am a lot more active and my wife has no complaints. For a while she thought I didn't love her anymore. It was definately the meds.

although I may not speak as an epileptic, I do take primidone and topamax for my essential tremor, My Dr switched me from klonopin to topamax last june, at first I thought it was great, it didn't have near the mood altering side effects of the klonopin. However I was single at the time, I did kind of start to notice a decreased libido, and was rarely interested in masterbation (I did say I was alone right?), but it wasn't till October when I had a sexual partner that I noticed something was off, I was softer, and I couldnt keep up.

I figured maybe it was just mental and let it go, but then again in December and January, I use to be able to go all night, I was quite a lover, now I feel like an old man. The Dr wont take me off the topamax till after I have my EEG, to make sure that whatever I experienced the other saturday night wasn't a seizure.

Shamefully, I USED to have a HIGH libido.:banana:

Now, 52, past menapause, on Keppra, Neurontin, Triliptal, Klonapin, plus, a migraine med, a thyroid med, and a stomach med, and aspirin when I can think of it, and a stool softener when I can remember - I THINK that's all - TOOOOOO much.

Now? I like the snuggling part, I still love sex, but it is rare - usually we are both too tired.

He is 41 and on a few meds too.

I was told once that with men it builds up and "just happens" sex or not?

Ignorance here, beings we are getting down to it.

Anyway, I miss sleeping in the same bed. I have a huge hospital bed and Carey has a twin bed foot to foot against the wall.

The cat sleeps on me.

When she was a kitten and Carey and I "did it" - afterwards, the cat SMACKED my face!!! (honest)

Sex? One thing about it, not doing "it" much sure makes "it" nice when "it" happens!:woot:

Psychological trauma could also affect the drive I would imagine - such as rape or abuse.

C'est la vie!!
Aren't we a complicate lot???

until I started Topamax I had a libido but since started it almost disappeared.
Belinda

AEDs caused my erectile dysfunction

Had it since 1998 but I've already had my kids and my wife could care less anyway.
Now she doesn't even like to be touched.

Lamictal

Lamictal increased my labido a lot - i had the sensation all day long!!

Epilim hasnt done anything at all.

Topamax just made me sick.

Kepra made me angry.

Thats all i have been on so far, but would be happy to go back on the Lamictal just for some sort of pleasure.

Miss M,

Does the Lamictal control your seizures and is your Doctor aware of this increase in your labito?

Randy

Yes, but its for the good. I now feel like a rabbit! Poor Chad trying to keep up!

Lamictal

Miss M,

Does the Lamictal control your seizures and is your Doctor aware of this increase in your labito?

Randy

Yes it does control my seizures and also was great for my depression and anxiety, problem was that Lamictal has a warning about a rash and sore throat, i got them both and had to stop it, however i have had the effects again with other meds since, so, i am going to ask my neuro to put me back on the Lamictal. Another side effect i got was clenching my teeth really hard which made my jaw hurt but i am told that it can pass in time. Oh also had bad diarrhoea probs. However, i would still go back on it.

No, i didn't tell him about the libido, i didn't really realise how much it affected me until i went off it. I was only on it for about a month.

I went to a dance with my son tonite. Valentines.......ooooo. The guy who did the music asked me to hang out after the dance. Of course I had to take care of Alex but he told me I was beautiful and all that jazz and that was it he was so cute and It didn't matter what med I was on. tee hee. That lorazepam wouldn't mattered one bit.

I am on Vimpat. What do you mean? Go to Vimpat.com and it should answer any questions you have. I have been on it for about 10 months now.

LOL sorry, I am a woman so for me I don't have a problem. Vimpat enhances any drug that you are on. So if you are on a drug that gives you issues, hmmmm. Then you will have some battles. Or opposite.

unsure

I never thought of the aed being the problem. I know that when i was on ssris, it was difficult to reach orgasm. Right now I am on 600 mgs tegretol and 1000 mgs keppra. Something to ponder

Back
Top Bottom