aerobic exercises and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kathya410

New
Reaction score
has anyone ever noticed that a seizure can follow an aerobic workout? I have had this happened to me several times, especially at the end of a step class when you are doing a routine up-down movement for minutes over and over. I don't know for sure but it could be the rythmic steps that cause it to happen. The last time this happened to me, my grown daughter had accompanied me to a step aerobics class and she had to lead me out in the middle of it. This also had happened to me before when I could not really figure out why. All i knew was I was working out to a step DVD and at sometime later I would be doing something different like being in the shower with all my clothes on. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Ordinarily, aerobic exercise is recommended for people with epilepsy because of its overall health benefits -- stress reduction and positive effects on bones, blood sugar, and blood pressure. But it can be tricky too -- certain aspects can be triggering, such as the potential for dehydration, or the stresses placed on the cardiovascular system. A particular risk with aerobics is hyperventilation, a common seizure trigger. If you know that the workout is triggering for you, try and increase and/or decrease the intensity very gradually, and make sure you are well-hydrated throughout. And you might consider cutting the session short to see if that makes a difference.

I can't run for very long periods without throwing myself into a seizure. I think it might be because one of my biggest auras is rapid heart rate. I was running on a treadmill one day. I had a goal of running for 15 minutes. I had 2 minutes left and I was pushing myself to keep going and then I had a seizure. I blacked out, fell, burned myself and ended up waking up in my bed. I have no recollection of how I ended up home waking up in my bed. I can do some walking but running really messes with my heart rate as it's supposed to but for some reason it doesn't go good with the way my seizures are triggered.

I have had absence seizures when biking, at times when I am really pushing myself after a long ride, and out of breath. It scares me because of the danger of loosing control completely in motion. But that has not happened for more than a decade and I think it was due to some food I had eaten with lecithin or some other factors. This is my experience.

I play badminton nearly every day for almost 2 hours per day. I have had several seizures while playing sports. This normally happens when I am playing for an extended period of time without any breaks for water or just to regain my energy. For me, I think it is mostly due to exhaustion or hyperventilation that comes with the exercise.

I have not that exact experience after exercising that you experienced. Mine is just one of my typical seizures though.

It may best to take more frequent breaks than you normally would. Not only hydrate during breaks in exercise, but hydrate before you exercise to begin with. The latter is what many people forget before working out. It also pays to eat something before working out. I find that my badminton game gets much better with some (though not too much) food in my system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom