Alternatives

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1212005.htm

Just thought I would share this information, I found on an alternative medicine site. I was not familiar with this herb. Obviously you wouldn't want to take anything that you did not discuss with a medical doctor.

Several uncontrolled trials in Japan have shown that sho-saiko-to or very similar traditional Japanese and Chinese herbal formulas (all containing bupleurum) can reduce seizure frequency and/or severity in people with epilepsy that does not respond to anti-seizure medications.14, 15, 16, 17 However, double-blind trials are still needed to determine the importance of these findings.

I also didn't know that Vit E was this helpful in seizure control

Vitamin E has been studied as a possible add-on to conventional drug treatment for epilepsy. A double-blind trial found that adding 400 IU per day of vitamin E reduced seizure frequency in children without side effects.22 Other preliminary trials23, 24 have reported similar results, and, while some preliminary research suggested this effect might also be achieved in adults,25 a double-blind trial found no effect of vitamin E supplementation on adults with epilepsy.26

Oh... and once again ... nutrition pops up as an alternative therapy.

Back
Top Bottom