Ambulatory EEG Results

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I haven't been on here in quite awhile, so I thought I'd update you guys on how everything has been going. :)

I got the results from my ambulatory EEG on Monday, and they were quite interesting to say the least, lol. Before I go on, I just want to put it out there, that I hate them with a passion! Couldn't scratch my head, I pretty much had to cuddle with that d*%n computer, and I couldn't go out in public.

As for the results, the times that I did report auras or tremors, nothing unusual showed, but between the late night and early afternoon, where I didn't feel a thing, there were spikes all over the place, which only lasted one to three seconds long each. The odd part about it is that each time there was a spike, it came from a different part of the brain. My doc said that it just solidifies the fact that I do have abnormalities in my brain, generalized idiopathic. Other than that, nothing wrong!

Unfortunately, I had a "medium mal" yesterday, my first in about a month. I'm worried because I didn't feel anything before it came, which kind of echoes the results of the EEG. Although I'm worried about the future, I'm keeping my chin up and hoping for the best!

Hello Skyfire, welcome to CWE!

You and i have something in common...EEG's that don't pick up our auras, but do pick up abnormalities that are of no help to us whatsoever!! Isn't it frustrating! Still, every EEG helps piece the puzzle together.

Sorry to hear you had a medium mal. I assume you mean like a complex partial? It sucks that you don't get any warnings. Maybe you could keep a journal of what you do each day and how you feel, and see if you can pick up on any patterns? There might be something that does warn you, but you haven't spotted it yet? Just a thought =)

Hey skyfire322, will the doctors make any changes in your treatment based on the results?

Well, since no one is sure when the Lamictal XR and Keppra peak for me, we decided to split it up. So instead of taking all 600 mg of the Lamictal and 1500 mg of Keppra in the morning, I'll take 300/750 in the morning and 300/750 at night. He doesn't want to raise the Keppra dosage at all, since I reported the "Kepprage" side effects.

It's more or less a "test", and if I have any more issues, then he'll raise the dosage of the Lamictal, probably up to 800 mg. When I see him next in three months time (that is, if I don't have any seizures between now and then) he might want to do another ambulatory EEG, but only for 24-48 hours just to see how everything is going.

Back
Top Bottom