Antidepressant withdrawal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BillK

Pillar
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced increasing seizures when they tried to go off an antidepressant? In my case I've been on Zoloft (sertraline) for about 15 years and have gradually whittled down to the minimum dose. But when I go a day without I seem to get into weird states and perhaps an increase in seizures. I'll keep tracking and see, but it's very difficult to come to a conclusion in something with so many variables.

All the brain meds are pretty powerful, and they can potentially have short-term or longer-term withdrawal side effects, many of which resemble partial seizures: See "Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant_discontinuation_syndrome

Some of the Zoloft-related withdrawal side effects sound A LOT like partial seizures:
• dizziness/vertigo • nausea • fatigue/malaise • gastrointestinal symptoms • vomiting • abdominal discomfort • agitation • insomnia • myalgias (muscle pain) • tremulousness/tremors • “electric sensations”/ • headaches • abnormal dreams • “withdrawal buzz” -intense distracting sensation within the head and disorientation or dizziness • visual hallucinations • crying spells • paresthesias -a sensation of tingling, tickling, prickling, pricking, or burning of a person’s skin.

Definitely pay close attention to how you are feeling. If the withdrawal symptoms persist longer than a couple weeks, and/or get worse, get in touch with your doctor right away.

I'm 99% certain it was my normal seizure, although quite mild. I'm thinking that stress generally induces them, including physiological changes. So it will be a challenge, given those potential withdrawal symptoms you named!

I hope you feel better and that the withdrawal symptoms don't hang around for long -- or show up at all.

Back
Top Bottom