any addictive personalities here???

Got Addiction? (anonymous poll)

• Yes, I do

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Not sure if that weird thing I do is one or not....

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
they say the most powerful drugs are the ones already inside of you...think thats true??? I dont know....but those addictions that dont require any chemicals outside your own body are the hardest to get over...lots of withdrawal so forth so on but Ive done my research and lots of doctors say that traumatic events can cause extreme behavioral changes and lately Ive really had a hard time with kleptomania -i look at some thing someone has and i see it in light of them not taking good care of it and that if I had whatever it is doesnt really matter what I would take better care of it so i end up taking it ----the thing about this that bothers me the most is that it is something old that has come out of the wood work when I was round 15-17 I had trouble with taking things from people and not realizing I had done it...but now its like when I get home from the office and I look through my things Ive got shtuff in there that isnt even mine and I cannot figure out where its come from or whom Ive taken it from....its like I cannot help myself so I help myself. This is not something I like doing but I do it anyway maybe because of the way it makes me feel -the excitement the adrenaline so forth but anyway I hope theres some 12 step program I can go to to sort this mamajama out because I could get caught and be in some serious trouble. Is there anyone else here that has addiction problems??? could this have somethign to do with my TS? I dont know ...its frustrating.

take care

I don't have an addictive personality, although friends of mine certainly do. They've coped by switching from unhealthy addictions (like smoking) to healthier ones (like exercise), and by being vigilant about monitoring their habits to make sure they don't go overboard.

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist who can help with your kleptomania. (The doctor is required to keep your request confidential). there can be multiple causes -- genetic, environmental, physiological -- but therapy should be able to help get it under control.

Nope.
I did alot of drugs in highschool, but only because I wanted to. I never had a craving or a need to do it. I just did it because I could. Never got addicted either. sometimes went 2 or 3 months without doing them, and when I stopped, i just stoppped.

I didnt even get bad withdrawl symptoms from stopping my AEDs.

yup, I do. I always avoided chemicals and booze out of fear of being stuck on them.
I get bad withdrawal symptoms when I dont get caffiene

I have quite an addictive personality. My vice is smoking, something i picked up when i was around 14. I've never touched any sort of illegal drugs, for fear of getting addicted to them.

Some things i'll get obsessions about which last for a few months, and then it'll switch to something else. Normally simple stuff like i'll read anything and everything constantly for a while, and then i'll get obsessed by painting, and then playstation and then dvds etc, to the point where that's all i'll do until i move onto something else.

At the moment it's the gym, so thats a good thing i guess.

Guilty as charged.

I get addicted to just about everything. Certain foods, certain friends, certain extra curricular activities... my list goes on and on. Wish there was a magic pill, but then again I'd probably just get addicted to that as well. :roflmao:

I'm lucky I didnt kill myself as a teenager. Yes, but I cleaned myself up. my life improved dramatically

Back
Top Bottom