Any advice for toddler having GA for MRI and Lumbar Puncture

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Counting down the days. 2 more sleeps until my little man has his MRI, Lumbar Puncture and bloods under GA. The hospital said they will probably use the mask to help him get to sleep instead of the needle, thankfully. Does anyone have any tips for me on how he may be after the Lumbar Puncture? My eledest 2 kids both had grommets but in around 2 so I understand re the GA but never had a child have a lumbar puncture.
Hopefully we may get some more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle after these tests. I know we are probably hoping for to much with the tests but I figure one day he has to either outgrow what is happening or there has to be at least a hint as to what is happening and why.
Thanks
Donnajane.

How nerve wracking for you. But I imagine it will be good to have them over with and have the data. And thank goodness they are using some sort of anesthesia.

I don't have any advice for toddlers specifically, but your little one should stay down and quiet for a day or so. If the doctor says he can be up and active, well.... your son may end up with a low pressure headache which is excruciating. Ask your doctor about a benedryl or something similar. Be sure that the doctor plans on doing the lumbar puncture on your son when your son is on his side with his legs slightly bent. That will give the most accurate cerebral spinal fluid pressure.

I'm thinking positive thoughts for you both.

Thankyou for the advice. Unfortunately he has developed a cold so just hoping it doesn't move to his chest as his first scheduled MRI at 7 1/2 months had to get cancelled due to him having bronchiolitis and its been a long wait for this one, 10months!

Back
Top Bottom