Anyone doing good on Keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've just joined CWE a little while ago and it has helped me a lot. However I've noticed a lot of threads about "Kepprage" and depression on Keppra. My neurologist added on Keppra since the Carbatrol and Topamax was not controlling it. I haven't noticed any mood changes and I asked my husband also. He doesn't think I've changed since on Keppra. However, when I started the Sprintec to control my catamenial seizures last month I've been an emotional wreck and that has been taking a toll on our relationship. I tend to doubt myself very easily. I know everyone reacts different to meds. But if anyone is doing good on Keppra I'd love to hear it. It would give me the hope I'm needing right now. And I'd also love to hear if there's any advise to stabilize my mood on this stupid Sprintec. Unfortunately I need it:(

Keppra worked for ~2 years before it failed and required a dosage update

Kepprage is pain in the butt and never found way to get rid of it :(

Occasionally really poor coordination / memory especially when very busy or trying to multi-task. Example I'll be BBQ a hamburger patty so I'm going in and out of the house and I forget things I did only minutes before.

Best medication I've found for me. I HATED DILANTIN and TOPAMAX, walking zombie

Last edited:
Yes I'm doing great on it--I'm on 2,500 mg a day, and don't have kepprage or any side effects that I have noticed. I've been on it . . . maybe a year. My partial seizures are mostly controlled--I still have nighttime myclonics sometimes, but mostly with hormonal ups and downs.

Hi Jeannie, I'm a little confused here. It sounds like you said you were doing fine on the Keppra alone, and didn't start having issues till they started you on the Sprintec. I mean, that sounds to me like it wasn't the Keppra turning you into an emotional wreck etc, but the Sprintec. I'd suggest talking to your neurologist about it, if you haven't done so already.

My neurologist added Levetiracetemam (generic Keppra) to my lamotrogine about 18 months ago. The lamotrogine was iffy at best. Granted I'm on what I believe may be a fairly low dose of Keppra, 1000mg/day, I don't believe it has effected me like many say it does them. And people closest to me also haven't noticed any mood swings or anger issues in me. Since Keppra was added to my regimen, I have been seizure free, over 18 months now.

I've done really well on keppra. As soon as I got to a therapeutic dose, my seizures significantly improved. I have occasional breakthroughs but can usually chalk it up to lack of sleep and high stress levels. Im also on the lower end of a daily dose at 1500mgs/day. My only complaint is I get pretty nauseous at times and lose my appetite entirely. I've lost a bit of weight since starting which isn't great if you're already thin to begin with... Other than that, I haven't had any side effects. No fatigue, headaches, mood swings , dizziness, etc.

Everyone reacts differently. What works great for me might not help you. Like denverboz said, it kind of sounds like the sprintec but we aren't neurologists! I hope things get better for you.

I've been on generic Keppra. 1500 mg daily for right at 2 years. I have been seizure free since taking it but HATE the side effects. Have hard time getting words together to talk. Memory not so good and I have had moments of rage along with the fact I really think my personality has changed so bad that most really don't like to be around me. 2 sisters that will not even hardly talk to me anymore. Also problems with bladder control which I believe is caused by the med. I have tried the b6 and b12. Don't really think that these do me much good. Maybe a little and I just don't realize it. Exercise helps some. I'm hoping that if things continue like they are without seizures my neuro might consider taking me off of it in a year. If I can make it that much longer.

Thank you all for your comments. And denverboz, yes it is the Sprintec that I noticed has been giving me emotional side effects NOT the Keppra. I'm not going to inform my GYN or neurologist quite yet since I only started the Sprintec 2 weeks ago. I want to give it some time and I have noticed(so has my hubby) that it is helping with my seizure control a lot. I need that because I can't afford to lose my job or get suspended from my school program. Also to clear it up, I know you guys aren't neurologists but since I was an "emotional wreck" it helped to hear that Keppra worked for some people. While I was on CWE I only came across articles with side effects and ineffectiveness of Keppra. I do have the side effect of not being able to get words together so I was getting worried. While I'm emotional it helps to hear that Keppra does work for some people. I know that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for me but I just needed some positive feedback on my med. Thank you guys! :p

I've been on generic Keppra. 1500 mg daily for right at 2 years. I have been seizure free since taking it but HATE the side effects. Have hard time getting words together to talk. Memory not so good and I have had moments of rage along with the fact I really think my personality has changed so bad that most really don't like to be around me. 2 sisters that will not even hardly talk to me anymore. Also problems with bladder control which I believe is caused by the med. I have tried the b6 and b12. Don't really think that these do me much good. Maybe a little and I just don't realize it. Exercise helps some. I'm hoping that if things continue like they are without seizures my neuro might consider taking me off of it in a year. If I can make it that much longer.
Daviscy,
Do you take any other meds besides the Keppra? And did you talk to your neurologist about the side effects you're having? I have the same side effect and I talked to mine. I wanted off the med right away but he kept me on it because of the better control. He also advised me of taking a B-complex but I didn't do it for too long. I notice my memory isn't too great either and I need that for my studies. Right now I'm on Keppra 2000mg per day. It's split up throughout the day. I also still take the Carbatrol and he's been tapering me off the Topamax. I hope eventually I get to be seizure free also.

Daviscy,
Do you take any other meds besides the Keppra? And did you talk to your neurologist about the side effects you're having? I have the same side effect and I talked to mine. I wanted off the med right away but he kept me on it because of the better control. He also advised me of taking a B-complex but I didn't do it for too long. I notice my memory isn't too great either and I need that for my studies. Right now I'm on Keppra 2000mg per day. It's split up throughout the day. I also still take the Carbatrol and he's been tapering me off the Topamax. I hope eventually I get to be seizure free also.

I only take the Keppra. Was switched from Dilantin to Keppra 2 yrs ago after being on Dilantin for 30 years started having seizures. Switched to keppra and haven't had anymore problem with seizures just hate the way I feel and the side effects. I talked to neuro about it. Just reluctant to change meds at this time. In past I was put on phenobarbital along with Dilantin could not stand it. Dilantin improved my mood but started having problems with it. Seems like they all have there side effects. If I can make it one more year I'm hoping to try and at least cut back on keppra. Maybe try the watching what I eat to help some. Because of my job I want to make sure Dr I in agreement with it.

Back
Top Bottom