Anyone experiences with Vimpat (lacosamide) yet?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dutch mom

Ketogenic Smile
Reaction score
UCB announced that the European Commission (EC) has approved Vimpat® (lacosamide) as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial-onset seizures with or without secondary generalisation in patients with epilepsy aged 16 years and older. Vimpat® is the first new antiepileptic drug (AED) for partial-onset seizures in three years and offers a new treatment option for European patients living with uncontrolled partial-onset epilepsy.
Source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/120117.php

Vimpat was appoved for Europe in sept. 2008 and will be on the Dutch market in March 2009.
Recently a neurologist suggested it for a 3-year old kid with Lennox Gastaut Syndrome stating Vimpat is promising for LGS (many drugs for 16+ are prescribed in polytherapy for this syndrome.) But I can't find resources mentioning it's specificly prescribed or effective for LGS.

It made my partial complex worse. It helped my tonic clonic. But it made me more tired. I feel like a kid trying to get my life together again.

I tried Vimpat in March of 2011 and it wasnt the best for me. Made me feel depressed and I just wasnt myself. I think if I recall right, I got up to 100mgs, and tried going back down to 50mgs a day, but it didnt improve things, so they took me off of it.

I started Vimpat in the Spring of 2011 for two months. It did bad things to the way I acted around people and caused some depression. I had more CPs than I did before but my TCs were better, I attributed both effects to the Vimpat. My doctor told me that if I continued it and let my body adjust to the change better things might happen but I didn't want to take the chance. I don't remember how much I was taking. Good luck with it.

Hello Dutch_Mom, as I wrote to another Vimpat user: My son (32) is now on 100mg vim pat 2x/day (since 2010) and 600mg trileptal (a form of tegretol) 2X/day. His gran mal seizures stopped completely as soon as we started the vimpat (at that time he was on other meds as well). However, he started having partial seizures and panic attacks (which could be either seizure related or side effect related). We kept him on the Vimpat since that was the one that stopped his gran mal seizures and switched the others out for trileptal. He still has no gran mals and stopped having partial seizures, but still has panic attacks. I may request to lower his dose of vimpat to see if that will stop the panic attacks. For the most part though, the Vimpat was a very successful addition for him

I went to Keppra for my grand mals and am lowering my Vimpat because I still have so many partial and petit mal. I really don't know what is going to happen yet.

I had a really bad experience on Vimpat. It caused serious insomnia and made me feel depressed and suicidal. I think I was on it for about 5 months before my neuro pulled me off it pretty sharpish. In that time I missed nearly a month off work too.

Thanks for that Loppy Lou. My son has insomnia too. Unfortunately a lot of the drugs including the trileptal he's on can cause that too. So hard to pin down what's doing what.

Vimpat Serious Side effects

My doctor added a new drug, Vimpat to the Lamictal I have been taking to help control simple and complex partial seizures. I know my reaction is extreme, and very rare, however, just in case there is someone else out there that had similar reactions to Vimpat, they can now know they are not alone. Lamictal has always worked fine for me, but I needed a little boost to help control these seizures, which, unmedicated, can be up to over 100 per day. I was on the Vimpat for less than a month, and I experienced two frightening events, both of which sent me to emergency. The first, was a cardiac episode, with palpitations, and chest pain. The second was a seizure where I did not lose consciousness, but had no muscle control, and was able to grab the phone and dial 911 on my way to the floor. In retrospect, there were other symptoms, which I didn't realize til after these two episodes, were also reactions. Pretty much the day I started taking it, I felt like everything was too loud, lights too bright, and daylight was excruciatingly bright. Both times the emergency people could find nothing wrong, no proof of heart attack or stroke, and attributed my problems to anxiety. I didn't believe that, and stopped taking the Vimpat myself, went to my family doctor, who said that indeed, it was a reaction to the Vimpat. Since I stopped taking it, all those symptoms are gone. My neurologist supported my family doctor, and even more important, believed me (not the emergency doctors) and added Keppra which I am tolerating well. Needless to say, Vimpat is now on my allergic to drugs list. I have to emphasize though, that most people have a good experience with Vimpat, and I believe people should give it a chance; it does help a lot of people. I just happen to be one of the probably 1% of people who have a severe reaction to this medication.

Thanks for the info ladydime2000. So good to get the scoop on other's experiences with these drugs. My son is having quite the struggle with Panic Attacks and I am still wondering if it is the Vimpat. He is now on 600mg trileptal 2x/day, 25mg vimpat 2x/day (tried to wean him off Vimpat it but got stuck at 25mg since he started getting extremely hyper as we reduced it) and now we added .5mg clonazepam 2x/day to hopefully deal with the panic attacks. The clonazepam makes him quite drowsy but at least it's slowing him down and curbing the attacks. Soon I will try to get him off the vimpat entirely.

I was put on vimpat month and half ago, the night mares and Headaches ( headachs these have gone, still some night mares), I have lost my appetite, no my appetite has decreased, I find it very hard to sleep at night and a few more things but it does seem to be good as regards my seizures, I was asking on monday when I went to see my neuro about coming off it, because over the last two weeks especially I have become very sharp/smart with people especially my family, but I was told my body and one of the other tablets I am on reacted and it is now poisoning my system, and all this was put down to that, so at the moment I do not know, I thought it was the vimpat.

I am on Lamictal, Vimpat and Epanutin. It seems the problem is Epanutin.

Interesting, never heard of that one. Are they reducing the epanutin or the vimpat?

Hello lynnre52

The Epanutin is causing the problem at the moment aparently this is the reason I feel this way (I do not believe ), the vimpat is new and on the up, it started at 50 mg and next week its 200 mg m/n ( morning and night ). I just do not know.

Well good luck to you on the Vimpat. It successfully stopped my son's seizures when nothing else would until the trileptal. Keep us posted.

I see that Fedup is in Ireland, perhaps Epanutin is something that we know by a different name in the US. I noticed that was the case with another medication frequently mentioned on a UK forum.

I was searching for information on Vimpat because my daughter added Vimpat to her Lamictal in March and is having increased anxiety depression and panic attacks. She also is having thinking problems which we attribute to the Lamictal, so her Lamictal was recently lowered and Vimpat dose raised. My daughter is 20 and was diagnosed with complex partial seizures at 14. Has recently had an increase in seizures also.

My son is also having panic attacks. We lowered his vimpat and now down to 25mg x2/day. We got stuck there because his anxiety level went way up and we were afraid that lowering the vimpat was causing it. We added clonazepam for panic disorder. So far it helps but makes him way too dopey. After reading your post I'm thinking maybe we should finish getting him off vimpat after all. hmmmm such a conundrum. (He's 33)

My daughter was put on 100mg Vimpat 2 days ago and it has made a big difference. She had 25 common partial siezures on Wednesday and only 7 much shorter ones yesterday since starting Vimpat.

Back
Top Bottom