Anyone have a pet that stays with you during a seizure?

Which pet do you like better?

• Cat

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My dog!:)

My dog - a Havanese - barks when my husband has a seizure and alerts me. Pretty darn cool. :)

I have a lab sharpei mix who's pic is my avitar who will stay with me before during and after doesn't remind me to take my meds but I think can tell if I'm going to have a seizure and is right by my side.

I have a cat that I've had a little over a year and she is one of those "I will let you hold me on my time" kind of cats, but it seems as though whenever I am having seizures or right after, she is right there on my bed with me. And one time a little while back, I was really upset and crying over it too and she came up and licked a tear off of my face, i will never forget that no matter how bratty she can be:lol:

The Sharpei in my avatar is very good at trying to alert me before a seizure, she will usually start pawing at me like crazy or start whining while staring at me and sitting at my side. She is the only one of my three dogs that does anything when I start having a seizure.

The Sharpei in my avatar is very good at trying to alert me before a seizure, she will usually start pawing at me like crazy or start whining while staring at me and sitting at my side. She is the only one of my three dogs that does anything when I start having a seizure.
My dog does the same thing. She will usually get in my face and put her paw on my chest. Very smart dogs!

I don't have any pets of my own but my parents have 3 dogs.
My Mum has told me she is sure that their oldest dogs Lilly (a 9 yo Kelpie/labrador) knows when I'm having a seizure & has let them know. I wouldn't know about that because I don't usually remember much when I have a seizure. But I know when I have had a seizure (usually partials) while at my parents place Lilly would stay with me & if I got up after I had the seizure she would follow me around the house for the rest of the day.

My parents have 2 other dogs who they got as rescue dogs last May & both dogs are under 2 years old. I haven't had any seizures since my parents got the 2 younger dogs so not sure how they would react if I was to have a seizure.

I used to have an African grey who used to come to me when ever anything was wrong. She was really snugly and used to lie flat against my chest for hours on end with her legs all the way back. The vet thought there was something wrong with her when she was a baby because he'd never seen greys do that but upon a health check up, he declared her cuddly and healthy.

When I was living alone I once had a seizure and couldn't stand up afterwards. The landlord's dogs, usually quiet, came and barked outside my door until she came and let herself in.

I have two cockatiels and a budgie, but they'd probably seize (haha) the opportunity to get up to mischief rather than notice i'm not well lol. Bloody useless feather brains <3

Mind you, they seem to time their naps to the same time as mine. This may just be because they realise i'm not going to be forthcoming with treats while i'm snoozing, so they figure they may as well do the same :pop:

My cat was the best. She always seemed to worry about me if I was sad or something happened to me. Like one time I had a seizure and yes, she did actually sit next to me. The only one who noticed it. I haven't really thought about this before but my cats must be the first ones who knew about my seizures. :)

Being the guy who almost always leaves the room when a seizure is getting ready to hit, my dog (golden lab) who sadly is now in doggy heaven, she would follow me and sit down close... who knows why they do it or what makes them think they can actually help, but a good point I read here is when most every time a seizure does come up, no one even realizes I had it... just the dogs (pets) :rolleyes:

Anymore people have a pet that stays with you during a seizure? My cat rocks!

My cat will cuddle super close after a seizure, and just lick my face to help bring me out of it. One time, he positioned himself underneath my neck, he prevented some head trauma! Such a great cat :)

My cat will lie on my chest, but he is there just as quick if he knows I'm upset. My dog won't leave me and if separated will throw a fit.

My cat has been found on my face after a seizure, maybe trying to perform CPR maybe trying to finish me off. You never really can tell with cats.

Q

Thanks for the additional replies everyone! Hope all is good! :)

I have a pug mix who started barking at me one morning. I was having simple partials and soon a convulsion. Since then, he barks at my simple partial(most of which don't lead to a convulsion) sessions only in the morning, and I had 2 convulsions this year - both early in the morning. Before taking depakote, I would have them in the afternoon only - he never barked at me at that time.

I wonder if he's warning me about my seizures, or maybe he's just excited about the sounds I make(stuttering and mumbling), but why now? I've been having simple partials for years.

Maybe he's picking up new signals on my new seizure activity. Some dogs can sense seizures. I have catamenial epilepsy, dogs have good noses, maybe he's picking up smells from my pheramones that seem different than normal, asI assume my hormones have changed, thus, why convulsions occure in the morning. He went partially blind(said to see like looking through waxed paper) almost 2 years ago, maybe that could just be his reaction. Not able to see me clearly, but can still hear me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom