Anyone have a pet that stays with you during a seizure?

Which pet do you like better?

• Cat

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't know if this counts (because she can't stay with me 24/7), but my horse can detect my seizures. If she didn't weigh over 1,000 lbs I would get her registered and keep her with my always. Knowing her, she would be all for that. She's a little clingy. ;)

I have woken up in the middle of the night, on the floor, and my cat has been on my chest crying. So, my neurologist suspects my cat may know. But for certain my mare knows.

I have a German Shepherd that is almost 2 right now. When he was around 12/13 weeks I had a t/c seizure. One of the last things I remember beforehand was him sitting on the floor staring at me. I've only had one other since then when I was home alone (except for him) sitting at the table, he might have been sleeping at the time but I woke up safe in my bed with no memory of getting there.
I'm not sure what or if he does anything during or after but I definitely feel better when he's around and he goes with me almost everywhere and always knows where I am, he is my white shadow. :)

My dog doesn't come and air with me but he starts barking when I have one and won't stop till its over so he alerts people to it

Well it seems I've got a dud cat...she doesn't warn me nothing for my girl, but she's got a great temperament with the kids.

Very placid..we luv her. :)

I had a Boxer - Labrador mix that would lay/sit with me as well as warn through stopping/herding/not allowing me to get out of bed or a chair/couch. I was looking into getting her certified/trained as a service dog but a dumb a.. neighbor in the apartments at the time mistook her for another dog she was having issues and I was forced to find a new home for her (I had raised her from a pup, she was only 3 in 2010). Broke my heart. :'( I just got a Husky - Labrador pup (we know the parents and their owners) and will be training her for service work (balance and other things). I really hope she alerts and cuddles/stops/herds like the other dog did!

saythatagain..
Gosh.. I'm so sad to read that you had to give up your dog under the circumstances you described ..I hope it works out with the other one.

I don't underestimate the value of animals in people's lives.. Pet therapy is used for those with special needs.i know at my girls school they have person that comes with her Labradors to interact with the kids .....just priceless at benefits seen.

I've got a Staffordshire bull terrier and they're terrific at identifying illness.

When I have a grandmal seizure...Bruno alerts my hubby by running to him and then back to me but the worst thing is he goes mad if ambulance crew come in to deal with me otherwise.

I used to have a Yorkie cross that knew when I going to have a seizure later, and would lie on my chest and snuggle up to me. It got so common, it became a great way of detecting it if I hadn't noticed the 'electric' feeling.

Do animals suffer from Epilepsy? or is it secondary from some other illness.
As a child I recall my pet tabby cat having seizures he was about 19yrs old had to put him down... not sure why exactly.

Animals do know about the meaning of unconditional love & devotion, just some humans would learn about that.

End of rant... :)

Do animals suffer from Epilepsy? or is it secondary from some other illness.
As a child I recall my pet tabby cat having seizures he was about 19yrs old had to put him down... not sure why exactly.

Animals do know about the meaning of unconditional love & devotion, just some humans would learn about that.

End of rant... :)
Yes pets can suffer from epilepsy also...years back when I was living at home we had a yorkie called Brandy and he had seizures and they was terrible to see in a dog.

The link below explains about what causes them in pets.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/seizuresinpets.htm

I have a cat that is oblivious to my seizures entirely, but if it counts, I had a dream that she was a 'seizure cat' (like a Seizure Dog), and whenever I had a seizure, she would immediately stop what she was doing and lick a Twinkie. She's super useful ;-) However if I ever break down and cry she runs up and gives me head butts so I think I will keep her.

I have a cat that is oblivious to my seizures entirely, but if it counts, I had a dream that she was a 'seizure cat' (like a Seizure Dog), and whenever I had a seizure, she would immediately stop what she was doing and lick a Twinkie. She's super useful ;-) However if I ever break down and cry she runs up and gives me head butts so I think I will keep her.

Lindsay she sounds wonderful and besides loving dogs I've had cats also...I'd keep her my friend, as she seems comforting when your down :)

I've always had a dog by my side, my little poodle used to be by my side all the time whenever I had one. Than I got a mix bread border collie mix, smart dog man. Both are very loyal, ones a little too loyal but, love them both.

My buddy in the picture is with me always. His name is Valentino.
My seizures are nocturnal and he often wakes me up soon enough that i can keep them at a partial level, keep them from going full blow TC.
Needless to say, I adore him.

My dog has never seen me have a seizure (yet).

I like dogs over cats reptiles etc

my cat snuggles up with me. I'm not sure to which extent, but his head is always underneath my hand when I come around :) I think it's the most adorable thing ever, seeing that he has no training what-so-ever.

My old dog Max used to know when I was getting a seizure and stayed with me.

I came to after a seizure with my dog Rudy looking at me.He was looking at me after I had a complex partial making sure I was ok.
He looked a little confused, and he got up on the couch with me.

Back
Top Bottom