Anyone taking CARNITINE?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sazzy

New
Reaction score
Hello, My 10 month old daughter (complex partial to secondary gen. seizures; idiopathic epilepsy) has been prescribed Carnitine. Her blood carnitine levels were normal but our ped. neurologist thinks that it will help increase her energy levels... She is a bit drowsy from the AEDs. I can't find much ibfo on line... Does anyone have any input on this drug? I know Valproic Acid is known to bring down carnitide levels but our daughter is not on this drug... Thank you.

In addition to valproate, low levels of carnitine have also been linked to carbamazepine. But if she's not on either of those meds, and shows no signs of a carnitine deficiency (like muscle tone issues), then it seems a bit of a stretch to prescribe it. Most people get plenty in their diet, since it's found in dairy, meat, poultry, and fish).

That said, there's no risk from adding extra carnitine, and it's prescribed in a wide variety of circumstances to boost energy, even in folks who don't have deficiencies. So it may well help your daughter.

Carnitine is an amino acid (building block of protein. weight lifters use it a lot and I have for energy. I just thought it would help me as I am vegetarian. It is not a bad thing. It is in supplement stores everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom