Appointment change

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zuri

New
Reaction score
I had the long-term eeg some weeks ago - before I left, I had a mini app about that - a med added, etc. etc. Im not taking that med. I dont like the way it made me feel so I didnt fill it when I left the hosp.

So the app. setter calls to ask me if I can come in on the 17th instead of the 24th. I have 2 other apps on the 24th in the city - it was convenient to me to have them all at once. Im not going to take 2 bus trips into the city 2 times this month when there is only one bus to the city & back a day. I have to find some place to spend the nite. Its too expensive & time consuming. I work all the time. So I cancelled. She said "oh its really important that you are seen." & I said, "Umm yeah I know which is why I had that app."

Im much more interested in seeing my endo right now. & Im not going into the city twice - I cant afford it. I like to eat.

They know that I live a ways away. They know that I dont drive. They know that I have no place to STAY IN THE CITY. Im so pissed.

Don't blame you for being upset. They may have a perfectly legit reason for the change, but as medical professionals they should be aware of the full impact on the patient. They are probably the same ones who tell you to try to avoid sssssssssstresssssssssss.

Man, that's a drag!....

Here's hoping you catch a break soon Zuri.

Peace and warm wishes,
:rock:

Tell the nurse/receptionist/whatever that you would like to consult with the doctor directly over the phone. Perhaps if you explain your situation, they will make the necessary accommodations for you.

Thanks Bernard ! Yeah, if I could do that - that would be wonderful.

As for good reasons for rescheduling - yeah, another patient thought my app time was better for them. It might sound selfish, but I think I would have been more understanding if my primary neuro had a workshop or something.

.... I always wonder & I could be totally wrong if patients w/ "better" health insurance get first priority ....

ZURI:

I've had appointments that were bumped
up SOONER, in fact, it was bumped up
again and and again and again. So I can
understand the annoyance but they know
there's an issue and reason why you are
needed to be seen sooner. You're having
problems and you're in need of medical
attention as soon as possible.

So when patients cancel or reschedule
appointments, you're on the priority
list, so you get filled in to the nearest
appointment availability. That's the
explanation for the whole being. I've
gone through this many times insomuch
I've gotten used to it.

This is the way I see it: My Doctor
cares, where he's pushed me up to the
priority level to be seen ASAP at the next
available opening.

You should be grateful that you have
a Doctor that cares! I know its hard
to see it that way sometimes.

You're probably right Brain .... but I cant be in the city twice that week. Even if I could afford it & wanted to - I promised to take care of a person's animals while they were away the early part of that week.

You're probably right Brain .... but I cant be in the city twice that week. Even if I could afford it & wanted to - I promised to take care of a person's animals while they were away the early part of that week.

Is it possible to get someone else to
watch them for a short time, while you
are gone briefly? It's not like you are
going to be gone forever. It's only
going to be a few hours. If they are
in a pen / stall; it shouldn't be a big
difference. Your health comes first.
I love animals too, just make sure
they're all well fed and set before you
go!

I know I should remember that my health comes first - thats a problem for me !

But even if I hadnt promised to take care of my friend's animals while she is away - I dont drive, I have to bus to the city - then I have to spend the nite before the actual day of my apps (b/c they start early). Bus arrives in the city ONCE & thats at 8:45 - & leaves the city ONCE at 2:30. My 1st app is at 8:30 & my last is after 2:30. So I have to stay 2 nites in the city .....

Im leaving my own cat that long. It is only a couple of days. Ill only do this for the 24th but I really cant afford 2 trips into the city anyway. :(

Im going to do what Bernard says & ask for a phone conference. I get all my blood work done, Im good about that.

Actually I got the bus mixed up lol its the other way - but still I have to arrive the day before & leave the day after. Its a good thing I write the bus stuff down & take it w/ me lol ....

I didn't think Physicians can take
phone appointments. At least down
here they don't!

:?

Either you go in to see them or
you're rescheduled. But I guess
it all depends on the location and
where you live (rural areas). Since
I'm in a Metro area, I guess it's
different here.

I'll be crossing fingers for you
with hopes that you'll snatch that
phone appointment!!

I didnt know either lol. I hope they do ! I wont miss the endo & other app for the world .... I have my meter all ready with low blood readings to show & Ive written down every single thing that Ive eaten ! thanks !

It doesn't hurt to ask. Stacy's doctor will schedule phone consults upon request (they charge for them of course).

But I was suggesting talking directly to the doc about the logistical problems you are facing to see if they can accommodate you with the in person appointment scheduling.

You can always just say, "No. I can't, I have another appointment that I must keep."

The VA is real bad about bumping appointments on my husband. They are the most difficult ones to work with appointment wise.

After I said I would make my endo app no matter what lol - an expense came up that I must pay - I cant go to my app. I cant even afford the reduced hotel rate through social work at the hospital.

Im sorry Im such a downer but Ive really had it. I tore my trapezius this week. & I wish with all of my heart that I would just have a huge seizure & die in the middle of the night. Im tired of working so damn hard & being there for all of my family & right now I really need help. I have family in the city - & I cant stand there because my sister is staying there & doesnt want me there. Its easier to say no to me because I wont throw a temper tantrum like she will. & I even clean & cook if I stay with people ....

Im in pain & supposed to wear a neck collar - & Im taking care of animals this week & I cant take care of myself yet Im taking care of anyone who calls for something.

Im really stuck - I need to be treated for my endocrine issues - I cant be followed up for any of this until May. Ill save $ for after taxes for then. This app was so important.

Im going to have to look for more work & stop giving every single mother, college student, middle aged person with kids in college a reduced rate because I know what it is like to be poor. I work endlessly & sometimes for nothing because I listen to excuses - & now I cant take care of my own medical care.

Im going to have to be positive & wait until May & hope I can afford it then.

Zuri, sometimes you need to be assertive. If you let your sister treat you like a doormat, she will. If you need help from your family, ask for it and don't feel guilty. Life is too short to wait on the sidelines all the time.

Sorry you are having such a rough time right now.

Bernard is right. You've got to go,
you can't have people running you
down all the time - you've got to
put your foot down and be firm and
not let them take advantage of you.
If they ask you - tell them you're
busy and have other plans, appoint-
ments, etc.

After all - IT IS THEIR PROBLEM,
don't make it yours. Don't let them
use your soft spots to make you feel
sorry for them. If they're talking to
you on the phone ... HANG UP, you
don't need to hear it.

I get people all the time trying to get
a "freebie" off of me, and I'm poor too.
I have a neighbor next door who works
and can easily afford to buy a new
lawnmower, and she wants ME to cut
HER lawn for FREE? I'm like "HELLO?"
My health is in no condition to even cut
MY OWN! (She can do it herself, she
needs some exercise there)

Then they come over and they want to
borrow this, and borrow that, while
yes, I did let some neighbors borrow
some things in the past - but I had to
stop ... WHY? Because when I needed
to borrow one of theirs that I didn't
have, they refused. I didn't consider
this neighborly and fair game. So I
didn't let them take advantage of me
any longer.

I know what we are telling you is so much easier to say than to do. I have had those feelings of being up against a wall and just not wanting to deal with it anymore. But, I will still emphasize it again.

BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!!

This crazy world has so many ill people that you have to make yourself heard above the rest. You deserve to be treated with respect. If you don't have a family or friend to help, you have to dig deep and find the power to fight for yourself. Giving up is not a good option.

Consider calling the hotel. They may have a program where they or a neighboring hotel would deeply discount rooms that they can't fill. Few hotels are full every night and it costs them nothing to let you use an empty room.

Back
Top Bottom