April Challenge

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've been making a fantastic crustless pumpkin pie. It has helped me lose weight. I've cut down the sugar somewhat. It tastes great with some whipped cream on top. I lost over 10 pounds with this one.

Here's my recipe:
1 C. / 15 oz. pumpkin
1 C. / 12 oz. Carnation Evaporated 2% Milk
3/4 C. egg substitute or 3 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup powdered 10x Confectioners sugar
Pam for baking

I personally prefer to skip the pumpkin spice and sprinkle a lot of cinnamon on top of the pie before baking it.

combine...
pour in a 9 inch sprayed pie pan
bake at 400 degrees for first 15 minutes
bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes
until knife comes out clean.

Last edited:
Sounds YUMMY... I am going to try this, this weekend.
Though I wonder how I could substitute the milk with a casein free product. I will let you know what I find.

Here's another one:

Peanut Butter Pie
8 servings
• 2 cups fat free vanilla frozen yogurt (softened)
• 2 cups fat free Cool Whip defrosted
• 1 small box fat free instant chocolate pudding
• 1/2 cup reduced fat crunchy peanut butter

Mix all ingredients together and pour in pie pan. Allow to freeze!

I hate to spoil the fun, but for those that are not aware of ingredients, most fat free products have MSG byproducts in them. This means they are an excitotoxin, which is not considered a positive ingredient, especially for those with seizure issues.

Thanks LynnW

I did have a really small piece of cake.... then I had some pizza :) 2 small slices
today ive done better Ive had no bread some chicken breast no sugar in my coffee or creamer thats about it I guess i need to eat something..

actually, I need to go to the store and buy some veggies & salad stuff.

Robin,
what about fat free 100% Organic foods ?

Last edited:
These researchers point out that there are plenty of reasons to suggest that the low-fat-is-good-health hypothesis has now effectively failed the test of time. In particular, that we are in the midst of an obesity epidemic that started around the early 1980's, and that this was coincident with the rise of the low-fat dogma.

They say that low-fat weight-loss diets have proved in clinical trials and real life to be dismal failures, and that on top of it all, the percentage of fat in the American diet has been decreasing for two decades. Our cholesterol levels have been declining, and we have been smoking less, and yet the incidence of heart disease has not declined as would be expected. ''That is very disconcerting,'' Willett says. ''It suggests that something else bad is happening.''
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/07/24/carbs1.aspx

One of the problems I have read is that they can say that certain ingredients are natural. Arsenic is natural too, but it isn't good for us. Citric Acid is in many of these products, and when it is made from corn, it is another name for MSG.

The best course of action is to not each many processed foods, unless you make them yourself.

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm
http://www.msgtruth.org/eatwhat.htm

uh oh... I had these incredible little mini halibut tacos for dinner. Wrapped of course in homemade corn tortillas. Not truly on my "plan" but oh sooooo yummy.

Clear headed again tomorrow.

Okay...I'm working my way away from caffeine. I haven't had any soda, did much better keeping my blood sugar up by eating right, and actually had 2 cups of herbal tea so far today....I bought some chamomile tea last night (it supposedly boosts the effects of of phenobarbital). I had a cup last night, and look forward to my cup before I go to bed tonight. I did have one cup of coffee (regular) today (black, as usual). So I'm doing better. Unfotunately, I think I'm coming down with a cold. :( I hope not.

I cut my consumption of diet coke in half and slept like a baby. I am drinking more healthier options like organic carrot juice, cranberry juice, milk and hot tea (decaf).

I am also cutting down but not totally depriving myself of dark chocolate. This has been the hardest part.

I don't think that dark chocolate is considered to be unhealthy. I think it is the additives in some products that make it so.

Great move to make healthier choices. I do think that over time your body will thank you.

Here's another one:

Peanut Butter Pie
8 servings
• 2 cups fat free vanilla frozen yogurt (softened)
• 2 cups fat free Cool Whip defrosted
• 1 small box fat free instant chocolate pudding
• 1/2 cup reduced fat crunchy peanut butter

Mix all ingredients together and pour in pie pan. Allow to freeze!
Hi alivenwell

I was just wondering if this recipe was supposed to have some sort of crust or pastry base or is it more like a cake?:ponder:

Last edited:
Hi alivenwell

I was just wondering if this recipe was supposed to have some sort of crust or pastry base or is it more like a cake?:ponder:

The idea is to omit the crust and pastry to cut down calories. In response to Robin's concern about the fat-free chocolate pudding, I suppose straight cocoa in a small measurement should do the trick.

This is really refreshing during hot weather.

BTW, I'm in a weight loss contest. I am really changing my bad ways so I can win the money.

Last edited:
I wish you luck on your contest. Nothing like $$ to make us think twice.

I blew it last night and had a crepe with strawberry nutella. I shared it, which cuts my damage a bit. I had never had nutella before, and I enjoyed it. Now I need to find out what exactly is in it.

I have cut out a lot of starches, this I am happy about

Robin, don't be too hard on yourself. Totally eliminating starches and dairy sounds soooo hard. Good job on reducing your starches!

I have not been very good for the past couple of days. I have sucking down the coffee in the mornings. I am blaming my difficult, tiring (and not in a good way) weekend. The funny thing is, I actually felt better - more energy, especially in the afternoon - when I only had one cup of coffee in the morning. Tomorrow is another day, and I'll do better!

Hope everyone else is doing well with their dietary changes. Let us know how it's going!

I wish you luck on your contest. Nothing like $$ to make us think twice.

I blew it last night and had a crepe with strawberry nutella. I shared it, which cuts my damage a bit. I had never had nutella before, and I enjoyed it. Now I need to find out what exactly is in it.

I have cut out a lot of starches, this I am happy about

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NUTELLA CREPES! I spent 9 days in Paris in 1997 and had one for breakfast every day! My mouth is watering as I type!

My frustration is that I am expecting Rebecca to eat a certain way each day, and if I can't make similar choices I am not setting a very good example.

.. but yes it was yummy. Perhaps since it is made from nuts it isn't so bad....?

Hi Robin - My challenges are poor sleeping patterns. I wake up twice a night - sometimes right back to sleep, other times toss and turn. Finally watch a night time show or Larry King for about an hour and then am able to get back to the zzzz's. I posted earlier about extreem family stress, leaving me feeling helpless and am hoping for answers on how I can seperate from obsessing about little I can do. Had a seizure in my sleep last night and afraid I'm pushing myself to the edge of a GM. Laurie

I was reading how stress can really do some damage to your brain. It simply is not good for you and you need to figure ways to reduce it.

I think like anything you teach yourself these sort of patterns so you should be able to teach yourself out of them. Just finding the instructions that is the challenge.

Bernard - Hazelnuts = tree nuts which he does say are better than ground "nuts".

How is everyone doing on their challenges?

Awful. But each day is a new chance to start. :banana:

Now that spring is finally here, it is grilling season. That equates to less fried food for me, but too often more of it.

I did do more veggies and pineapple on the grill last year. I plan on experimenting more this year. Squash and zuccini are great brushed with a little Italian dressing. Chunks of fresh pineapple on the grill just until they stat to brown are delicious.

Back
Top Bottom