Are Nightmares a symptom?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi
My 10 year old daughter has only recently been diagnosed with epilepsy following a seizure whilst sleeping in the car.
HOWEVER, since age 7 ish she has had MANY MANY nightmares. Is this linked?
Any suggestions, links, experiences, etc. much appreciated.
Ta much
AA

Hi Mia, welcome!

Her nightmares could be seizures called simple or complex partials. If they are seizures, they are likely to be relatively short (less than a few minutes). Even if they aren't, they may have played a triggering role by interfering with the quality of her sleep. Has she had an overnight sleep study done? That can be helpful for getting a handle on what's going on, and for checking for related issues like sleep apnea.

Best,
Nakamova

I know that when my seizures are more intense I tend to have some pretty vivid dreams and they manifest as nightmares. I've always had vivid dreams but not like the ones when I started having seizures. No clue what the reason is for me. I hope your daughter can get some peace soon. Nothing is worse then having your sleep disturbed.

It's hard to say I know I have very vivid dreams and nightmares and have since I was a kid, but since I've always had seizures I don't know if it's a symptom or just my brain working in other odd ways. I agree with getting a sleep study done on her to find out if they are partials or any other kind of seizures.

Back
Top Bottom