Are these seizures that I'm having?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alanb1980

New
Reaction score
I am a 31 year old male. I have no family history of seizures as far as I know. I don't have health insurance so I can't afford to go get tested. And I know no one on here can really diagnose me but I just want honest opinions because this is something that really concerns me. I always start off with this really weird feeling that radiates throughout my entire body. I can't really describe the weird feeling. I also get these pounding headaches all the time. They are usually either in the back of my head or on the sides. But they are pretty bad. I have also experienced, during this time, moments where my body starts to jerk. Last night I was in bed about to go to sleep when I felt my body start to go stiff and then my head and arms and legs began to jerk and shake somewhat. I tried to control my arms but i couldnt. It lasted for about a minute and then I felt my body start to relax and I felt like I just had a workout. I was out of breath. Also I have had instances when I'm driving in familiar neighborhoods where I will suddenly blank out and forget where I am and where I was going or what I was even doing. If these aren't seizures what are they? When I was a kid I did fall once and hit the back of my head hard on a concrete slab. Could that be what is causing this?

I also have these déjà vu feelings and auras. I also space out at times. And there are mornings where I wake up and the side of my tongue is really sore like I had*bitten it during the night.

Hi alanb1980, welcome to CWE!

The symptoms you describe sound like simple partial seizures (which can involve a wide variety of sensory disturbances, including deja vu, and motor issues like jerking). If you're tongue is bitten in the mornings, you may also be having nocturnal seizures. Ideally you should find a way to see a doctor, even if you have to go to the ER. If your symptoms are progressing, it's important to find a way to control them -- you don't want your brain to get in the habit of seizing.

Keep a symptom diary as well, noting when the symptoms occur, and what happens during them. You may be able to identify triggers this way, and avoid them. (Triggers can be all sorts of things -- fatigue, hunger, low blood sugar, dehydration, food sensitivities/allergies, flashing lights, emotional stress, etc.).

You can read more about Simple Partials here: http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/seizure_simplepartial

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom