Artificial sweetners

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone else been told that artificial sweeteners in juices and stuff can be a trigger for seizures? My daughter has been having more seizures lately so we are trying anything to make them stop. Gonna cut out all fake sugars and see what happens...so frustrating when u can't figure out what is going on

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) can be a problem for some. It is for me. Because aspartame is essentially the same as aspartate (an excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain) it can be a seizure trigger for folks who have lowered seizure thresholds. For the vast majority of people it isn't a problem. It's a bit like MSG in this regard, another food additive that mimics a stimulating neurotransmitter in the brain.

I haven't heard of other artificial sweeteners being problematic, but that doesn't rule them out.

Artificial sweeteners are a trigger for me. Aspartame is one, there is at least one more that I know of that is also a trigger, but can't remember the name at the moment though. lol

My aunt has the same kind of epilepsy as my daughter and saays the airtime is one for her also. Craziness I'm still learning about everything as we go

It is known that there are health risks to this additive, but there is also current information discussing the increase in our SAD (Standard American Diet) of sugar infused products. The amount of sugar the avg person consumes is astounding.

We have been excluding all artificial sweeteners and seems to be helping...less seizures gonna keep it up and make sure it wasn't just a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

awesome TM
It may not be the only place that needs a magnifying glass, but surely it will give you the encouragement to keep turning over stones.

Aspartame is probably the biggest trigger for me. Which is unfortunate, because I love diet sodas :(

I never would have thought something like that would cause seizures...crazy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom