ask about CBD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jochen1727

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

New on the board i d like ask some questions about cannabis treatments.
i m french, in my state it s illegal but i don't care i m open minded and d like try every drugs to resolve my issue.
I m stabilise and take 125 mg of lamotrigine (low quantity) but i d decrease side effects as shacking and sleepness essentialy.
I m highly intersted by CBD.
Anyone can help me and post reviews about CBD traitement.
I ve seen this web site who sold charlotte' web hamp extract
healthyhempoil
Anyone know this site ? Is it a trust site?
I know this hamp extract because in france they talk about this traitement on news tv and it work pretty well on several kind of epilepsy than difficult child epilepsy who get a lot of seizures.
This traitement has a high CBD pourcent (15%), what s the common dosage and side effetcs? Are they less important than conventional drugs.
Thks everyone ;)

Hi jochen,

I live in the state of Colorado, where CBD is legal and where "Charlotte's Web" is. It was established for kids with extreme seizures or Dravet Syndrome. For this girl with the same name, it worked well to control her seizures. So although it is now legal in my state, I'm not going to take part in this treatment yet. IMO, there are still too many variables and I have too many other health issues to take into consideration.

You can go to this website to learn more:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treat...ent-approaches/medical-marijuana-and-epilepsy

hi clint,

I don t understand why don t try wharlotte's web????? (i ve readen ur article)
When you see our drugs with fucking side effect, (i wake up a lot in the night my legs and hands shaking sleep while journey lost focus quicly and it s the best drug i ve ever try oO. I m not afraid to try it just to leave like that or maybe survive is the best word.
I m not fool i d take a bit oil and decrease slowly my drug and see how i m feeling and if it s not good avoid oil but if i don t try everything i ll ask me if i ....
Maybe we don t know long time effect but it s healing a lot of people so why not and no more ES with oil related.

Last edited:
hi clint,

I don t understand why don t try wharlotte's web????? (i ve readen ur article)
When you see our drugs with fucking side effect, (i wake up a lot in the night my legs and hands shaking sleep while journey lost focus quicly and it s the best drug i ve ever try oO. I m not afraid to try it just to leave like that or maybe survive is the best word.
I m not fool i d take a bit oil and decrease slowly my drug and see how i m feeling and if it s not good avoid oil but if i don t try everything i ll ask me if i ....
Maybe we don t know long time effect but it s healing a lot of people so why not and no more ES with oil related.

As I said before, I have other health issues in addition to E, that is why I will not use CBD. How do YOU know it is "healing" a lot of people?

Even CBD has serious side-effects that I do NOT want to experience. We don't know the long-term side-effects, therefore I will NOT use it.

No more experimenting for me!!

ok because of your second health issue u don t get cbd I understand :). Sure we don't know long time effect but I know SE from my drug now. I don't know mostly SE from the oil except sleepless with high dose but light me about SE u would not get? I m interested by your knowledge about the oils, I ve just readen from web and see reports which claims it healing few diseases.

Hey jochen, welcome to CWE!

The web is full of anecdotal success stories about one treatment or another. It may be tempting to give something like CBD oil a shot, but there can be serious risks to trying something unknown in terms of dosage, efficacy, individual response, or short or long-term side effects. I hope that you carefully consider all the risks if you decide to "self-medicate" and that if you do so, you keep your neurologist in the loop.

best,
Nakamova

Welcome!
CBD does seem to help a lot of people, but for a lot of other people (stories we usually don't hear because people tend to share only the good ones to legalize it), it doesn't change their conditions or makes it worse. Many factors play into whether it will help you personally or if you will experience adverse effects. The side effects can be just as bad as some medicines if your body doesn't react well to CBD.
It's like caffeine and migraines in people who have epilepsy. Some people can drink it without a problem and it can help with migraines and other things such as staying alert but it'll send others right into a seizure with a few sips and doesn't solve anything. Be careful if you choose to try it.

Welcome!
CBD does seem to help a lot of people, but for a lot of other people (stories we usually don't hear because people tend to share only the good ones to legalize it), it doesn't change their conditions or makes it worse. Many factors play into whether it will help you personally or if you will experience adverse effects. The side effects can be just as bad as some medicines if your body doesn't react well to CBD.
It's like caffeine and migraines in people who have epilepsy. Some people can drink it without a problem and it can help with migraines and other things such as staying alert but it'll send others right into a seizure with a few sips and doesn't solve anything. Be careful if you choose to try it.

I tried the CBD Hemp Oil and it made my seizures worse. There were more frequent and more severe. Before I tried it, I didn't have as many where I fell but when I had been taking this for a few weeks, they increased. I had more where I would fall and hurt myself each time. I very seldom had one where I didn't fall if at all when on this. When that started, I quit taking it and in just a few days, I was improving and getting back to where I was before I started with the CBD.

I tried the CBD Hemp Oil and it made my seizures worse. There were more frequent and more severe. Before I tried it, I didn't have as many where I fell but when I had been taking this for a few weeks, they increased. I had more where I would fall and hurt myself each time. I very seldom had one where I didn't fall if at all when on this. When that started, I quit taking it and in just a few days, I was improving and getting back to where I was before I started with the CBD.

What kind of seizures do you have originally without CBD? I have drop attacks when I wasn't diagnosed. I am currently on lamotrigine, but I still have myoclonic seizures and it seems to be getting worse with the increase of medication. Although, the medication is helping with harboring drop attacks.

------

I've heard people say that Cannabis helps with seizures, so I was going to try, but the times that I have tried weed (not as a self-diagnosis) I felt really drowsy and fell asleep, or I felt dizzy, nauseous, and had a weird vision sensation.

I'm looking into this, not as an excuse to get "high" as I would only want a subtle dose not to reach a 'high', which is the reason many people were wanting weed to be legalized. I live in WA State, so that isn't an issue. I've read that Charlotte Web was originally created in the 1900s and was successful in controlling seizures. It would be nice if an alternative form of self-medication was able to control seizures without depending on one specific doctor prescription to "fix it all" and have all the side effects.

Others might argue that CBD has effects short and long term, but like any medication, everyone reacts differently and has different reactions and symptoms to their epilepsy/seizures. Much the same way that is proven in anti-seizure medication, which has short and long-term effects as well as seen by side effects that are clearly printed on the prescription itself.

It's important to distinguish between different forms of cannabis. Charlotte's Web is High-CBD, but low in THC (the psychoactive ingredient). In other words, it's not the kind of marijuana that you take to get high. That said, there's still not enough research to draw any conclusions about it's risks, side effects and efficacy.

What kind of seizures do you have originally without CBD? I have drop attacks when I wasn't diagnosed. I am currently on lamotrigine, but I still have myoclonic seizures and it seems to be getting worse with the increase of medication. Although, the medication is helping with harboring drop attacks.

------

I have complex partial seizures where I fall sometimes. The hemp CBD made me have more of these seizures making me fall. Without it, I will go weeks without having them where I fall but instead, if I even have one, it will be very light where I am semi-aware of what's going on and the others will make me unconscious but I don't fall.

I've read that Charlotte Web was originally created in the 1900s and was successful in controlling seizures. It would be nice if an alternative form of self-medication was able to control seizures without depending on one specific doctor prescription to "fix it all" and have all the side effects.

Where did you read this?

Yes, cannabis has been around for ages, but in the U.S., the "Charlotte's Webb" that is mentioned in this forum was created in my state of Colorado in 2006, named after a little girl Charlotte who suffers from Dravet Syndrome, seizures that don't stop in young children. And like Nak said, it is low in THC, therefore one does not get "high".

Check this out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte's_web_(cannabis)#Society_and_culture

I have recreationally smoked pot and I do find that it gives me the same reaction as Ativan. I actually discussed this with my epileptologist who I have a very good relationship with and who heavily advocates alternative treatments due to AEDs' often long-term and irreversible side effects. That being said, as mentioned, recreational and not medicinal marijuana can have bad side effects that harm people, especially people with chronic and neurological illnesses.

Depending on your relationship with your doctor and your seizures, I would be careful.

Where did you read this?

Yes, cannabis has been around for ages, but in the U.S., the "Charlotte's Webb" that is mentioned in this forum was created in my state of Colorado in 2006, named after a little girl Charlotte who suffers from Dravet Syndrome, seizures that don't stop in young children. And like Nak said, it is low in THC, therefore one does not get "high".

Check this out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte's_web_(cannabis)#Society_and_culture

I have seen this on some .org sites, but I don't think they're credible. Historical treatments of epilepsy are often barbaric, not medicinal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brooke_O%27Shaughnessy

William Brooke O'Shaughnessy MD FRS was a member of the Medical and Physical Society of Calcutta, where he published one of his first papers on medical applications of cannabis. He validated folk uses of cannabis in India, discovered new applications, and ultimately recommended cannabis for a great variety of therapeutic purposes.

O’ Shaughnessy established his reputation by successfully relieving the pain of rheumatism and stilling the convulsions of an infant with cannabis. He eventually popularized its use back in England.

His most famous success came when he quelled the wrenching muscle spasm of tetanus and rabies with resin. While he could not cure tetanus, he did observe that the cannabis mixture reduced their symptoms of spasticity and their suffering.

In 1841, he returned to England where he introduced cannabis indica to Western medicine and continued his scientific writings. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1843.

I have seen this on some .org sites, but I don't think they're credible. Historical treatments of epilepsy are often barbaric, not medicinal.

:ponder: Not sure what you mean. What's not credible? The site I'm referring to IS credible.

Back
Top Bottom