Atkins vs Vegan

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Athena22

New
Reaction score
I'm not quiet sure what either diet is, and for that I'm checking out a book on Veganism today at my local library.
I do however understand that I trully want to go Vegan. It just seems the most healthiest option. Although I do also understand that we need the neccesarry fats that come with a Atkins diet.
That is why I am in a bit of crossroads. Both diets will provide me with fats that would stimulate my brain and cause it to have the fats. Good fats.
My mother seems to have the wrong idea of what fats are. Fats are oils. Avocado for example that is found in a vegan diet.
The Atkins diet is actually my Nuerologists Idea. Although she is definietly not a nutrietion and I have known about this diet which is basically the KETOGENIC diet for along time. And have asked her about it for some time. In fact there have many subjects I bring up to my friends and family and its not until later on, many months or years later that they bring them up to me saying "Look at this" and me acting non caring as they did.
I do understand why shes putting me on this diet however, its the last hope as Ive had two seizures in the last month while still on medication.
Ive been added another medication aswell. I'm not sure if this is going to effect me in any way at all. But I hope not.
In reality I do understand that the Atkins is better, although I truelly want to be Vegan. Vegans are healthier ( Ive heard me Nutrients teacher say) Live longer (she has said this) And are Happier (wow)
And plus i have been on this diet before for a summer and I have expierenced and amazing diffence in the way I feel and react to things. :woot:

Hi Athena --

I think it's great that you are trying dietary approaches to feel better overall and potentially reduce your meds and/or seizures.

If you can, talk with a nutritionist or registered dietitian about this, so you can make sure you are getting balanced nutrition whichever diet you end up on. There have been several studies that suggest the Modified Atkins Diet can help with reducing seizures. The emphasis is on low-carbs, high fats and proteins, so if you were to try a vegan diet, you'd want to make sure it was covering similar bases. If you opt for the vegan diet, you'll definitely need to take a B12 supplement, since that essential nutrient isn't available from plant-based foods.

well I am not an expert, but I have tried many different diets.

My opinion is this, you have to find a happy medium to fit you. Vegan is fine, but I found I craved meat and was never really full, and knew i missed something.

As far as vegans living longer, I don't buy into that. Life can be taken away at any time. An old man could smoke and eat bacon every day of his life and live to be 99. A vegan could be killed in a car accident at age 22. Health is very important and plays a vital role I know that. I've seen studies/testimonies that show improvement in levels even when eating the keto/atkins diet.

Regarding them being happier, well I think thats an strong statement to say vegans are happier. Are they happy they are not eating animals? sure! Am I happy that i cut out processed and junk foods and eat meat? YES! But who's to say which is happiest?

Just make sure you are getting all the proper nutrients that you would in a well balanced diet. You may want to take a vitamin or supplement if you are eating a restrictive diet.

I hope you research this and can find the diet that suits you. I find the most satisfying thought is eating what is provided by nature. Thats just as cool as saying your vegan.

good luck!

Atkins vs Vegan that's a choice you and your doctor needs to decide on.

The most basic diet is to go all natural. Remove all processed junk. If you can't pronounce an ingredient you probably shouldn't eat it. If you like meat, you can still have it. Just don't eat it too often. That way to can enjoy it more when you do have it. Making your own favorite foods from scratch is also healthier. If you can't, try getting packaged ones that have less processed ingredients. These items will cost more, but you'll body will thank you.

I'm also trying to eat healthier. I gave up soda over four years ago. That change alone helped me lose 10-15lbs. I'm also a victim of convenience processed foods. Slowly I've been finding healthy substitutes for each. Sure the costs of these changes will hurt at first. But the improvements of my overall health will make it worth it.

Will going all Atkins or Vegan help with your seizures? That's for you to learn. But either could help your overall health.

Good luck to you on you path to a healthier diet. :)

Just an option to add. My wife has just changed to a vegan diet. Not only vegan, but raw food only. She gets her fats from avocados and nuts. Her allergies have gone away along with most her headaches (only withdraw headaches) and she is getting back to the healthy weight she was trying to get to. Like I said, it's just an option. You don't have to go that extreme.

A book to reference would be Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

A Big Mac, and supersize fries and soda swilling person decides to go vegan. They start eating real natural foods. Of course they feel wonderful by comparison. But is it getting rid of the meat or is it the sugar, transfats, gluten, and other gunk? What if that person switched to all organic grass fed meat and produce instead? (basically going paleo).

It is my firm belief that it is possible to be healthy on a vegan diet but not in the long run. There are certain nutrients that are only available in animal products. B12 was mentioned but there are many others.

Please take a look at the website of Nora Gedgaudas "Primal Body, Primal Mind". She is a nuerofeedback practitioner as well as an advocate for low carb paleo. Nuts and avocados are nice but they are never going to give your brain enough of what it really needs.

Embrace your genetic heritage. Eat meat!

Please take a look at the website of Nora Gedgaudas "Primal Body, Primal Mind". She is a nuerofeedback practitioner as well as an advocate for low carb paleo. Nuts and avocados are nice but they are never going to give your brain enough of what it really needs.

Embrace your genetic heritage. Eat meat!

You don't know how much I am loving that book! I have learned so much, and am quoting it to hubby and he gives me the *side eye* lol!

I would definitely check it out @athena22

Or is that gluten-free stuff ridiculous, except for those with celiac disease? Just asking cause I found this:

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/2/8337067/gluten-free-museum

Whether gluten sensitivity (as opposed to celiac disease) is real or not is still up for debate. Some literature suggests people feel better eating gluten free by going gluten free they are also eating less processed foods and overall are choosing a healthier way of eating in general.
Although such a study may be out there somewhere, I have yet to see a double-blind true scientific investigation. By this I mean two groups of people (those with celiac excluded from the study) who meet the current definition of gluten sensitivity, group A given X amount of gluten per day (eg. in a tablet form, 3 times per day) and group B a placebo. Their daily diets would have to be carefully controlled so that aside from group A's daily amount of gluten, both groups' diets would be largely identical and gluten free. Only then would it be possible to see if true gluten sensitivity exists.

There are some pluses and minuses, at least opinions on both sides, about raw food diets. About all of these, actually! I always think it's a good idea to read up on anything and decide what you think once you have a good balanced perspective!! I tend to weigh in on a 'good balanced diet'--not following any specific diet, but eating no processed foods full of additives and just watching to see which foods make you feel best, and which don't, and following that lead, since it seems like what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Whether gluten sensitivity (as opposed to celiac disease) is real or not is still up for debate.

:agree:

Some literature suggests people feel better eating gluten free by going gluten free they are also eating less processed foods and overall are choosing a healthier way of eating in general.

Overall, even folks with Type 1 diabetes, like me, can eat like this to lower our A1c levels. And in reality, everyone needs to eat healthy for obvious reasons.

Although such a study may be out there somewhere, I have yet to see a double-blind true scientific investigation.

I know about double-blind studies. Been there, done that! At least for AEDs.
And for some, the placebo effect works.

:agree:

I know about double-blind studies. Been there, done that! At least for AEDs.
And for some, the placebo effect works.

I have read about many double-blind studies as well, even performed them in University. I was mean double-blind study pertaining specifically to assessing whether gluten sensitivity truly exists or not :)

Back
Top Bottom