Aura's and the meds you take for them - or the meds your children take!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kashani19

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
My 7 year old is currently diagnosed with T/C and has aura's. She is currently taking Topamax and Keppra. The Keppra has helped with the aura's because she was having a lot everyday and now she really only has them once a month or even once every two weeks. I am wanting to see what other meds are out in the market that other people take or your children take for aura's and how well it works to control them. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! :) :ponder:

The two first choice meds used for partial seizures (auras) are Tegretol and Lamictal. If either of those don't work, or aren't well-tolerated, the next choices are Keppra, Trileptal, or Depakote. There are additional meds out there, but they are usually only considered as add-ons or replacements if those listed above don't do the trick.

Thank you! Do any of these meds have effects to where you have to keep track of your blood each month, etc?? I have heard that with depicote!
Thanks!

With any of the anti-seizure meds, blood levels might be checked during the initial ramp-up, or if there's a problem with seizure control or side effects. And some neurologists like to test blood levels once a year at the regular appointment time. But none of the meds listed above require monthly blood draws.

Nakamova,
Thank you so much for the information. I have an appointment next month and will discuss with my Neurologist. I appreciate your help!
Kashani

My son took Keppra for 18 months before it stopped working, however it never took his seizures away, just lessened the frequency. We got to the point where we could not stand the side effects, so we have not switched to Lamictal, all is going well. It has actually stopped the secondary generalization but he still seizes and still has auras, we are not maxed out yet on dosage so we just keep going up until we can't! Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom