Auras from the stomach?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone that might get similar auras. Do you often get a rising in your stomach before a seizure? Have you ever noticed a particular time in the day or night that this is common?

As I looked at my seizure diary I noticed a very common pattern. Almost every seizure started with a simple partial. I always had a very overwhelming rise in my stomach.

Since stopping Keppra, I feel the rising in my stomach, and then it usually goes away after 10-20 minutes. Today I wasn't so lucky. The rising in my stomach got worse as the day progressed. Eventually I was on the internet, and had no idea what I was doing. The feeling in my stomach subsided and I snapped out of it. Does the seizure threshold lower and raise at different times?

MuayThaiFighter

Sorry Tony, I am no help on this question.

That stomach feeling is fairly common simple partial seizure in itself. As far as variance in seizure threshold over the course of the day, it's pretty unpredictable. There are some general patterns -- Certain partial seizure types (based on location in the brain) tend to favor certain times of day, probably due to the internal body clock. But there are so many individual factors at work (like sleep, stress, blood sugar etc.) that these are pretty loose in terms of predictive ability.

Here are the general patterns:
-- Occipital seizure occurrence peak between 4:00PM and 7:00PM
-- Parietal seizures peak between 4:00AM and 7:00AM
-- Frontal lobe seizures peak between 4:00AM and 7:00AM
-- Mesial temporal lobe seizures have a primary peak in the late afternoon between 4:00PM and 7:00PM and secondary peak in the morning between 7:00AM and 10:00AM.

This is really interesting. I assumed it was something with the internal clock in the brain. Thank you Nakamova.

Nakamova

Thank you very much, I learn something new from you again.

I get the stomach feeling in the beginning stages with a simple partial seizure. I get this feeling of being nauses and like I need to throw up. Then comes the racing of my heart, and a feeling of fear and sadness. By that time, my head turns to my right and my left side of my body stiffens and begins to jerk.

I would be writing all of this stuff down to note what is taking place.

Will you be seeing a dr soon? I cant remember what you said before!

I get the stomach feeling in the beginning stages with a simple partial seizure. I get this feeling of being nauses and like I need to throw up. Then comes the racing of my heart, and a feeling of fear and sadness.

Yep, that's the feeling. Hate it with a passion.

I was told to detox off the Valium and see what happens.

So I am seeing the GP to make an actual tapering schedule and decide what else to do. He wants me off the Valium, but he doesn't want a rapid detox. Very unsafe, regardless if you have E or not.

Hi Muay,
Check out my thread 'Invaluable article on Simple Partials (auras)' from august 23, 2011. It was very informative for me and I think you'll find the same.

As Nak said, stomach rising is a symptom of a simple partial seizure. I have them every time I have a partial. Really bad feeling, I hate it too.

Yeah I cant stand the feeling either. I hate the feeling of fear and sadness... then the stomach feeling... It gets me everytime!

This is really interesting. I assumed it was something with the internal clock in the brain. Thank you Nakamova.

I know right... Nakamova is always coming up with the most helpful stuff :). Sorry you are feeling any of this stuff though. Remember no computer when you feel it. Go lay down and rest your brain. It goes away quicker. At least for me it does.

yeah my tummy thing and auras ALWAYS happen when im in supermarkets! or out somewhere! :( hate it

i have a question then my dr. has always said i dont have partial seizures but all those things u described i get on a regular basis with my seizures and some of my seizures clasify as petit mal and absence

Well -- brace yourself -- your doctor may be wrong. Or lazy or incompetent.

I get the stomach feeling in the beginning stages with a simple partial seizure. I get this feeling of being nauses and like I need to throw up. Then comes the racing of my heart, and a feeling of fear and sadness. By that time, my head turns to my right and my left side of my body stiffens and begins to jerk.

I would be writing all of this stuff down to note what is taking place.

Will you be seeing a dr soon? I cant remember what you said before!

Mine seem pretty similar to yours, though I don't get the jerking... Mine usually stop at the weird feelings, and since I've been on medication, they are shorter.

I too get the rising feeling, and they tend to accompany my deja vu episodes, and those tend to be in more in the morning and/or the evening. If I'm "fuzzy headed" that tends to be more in the afternoon along with the fear/anxiety feeling (I had that one yesterday)... both of my T/C seizures had the fuzzy/detached feeling beforehand, and the rising stomach doesn't usually go along with that... It's crazy how many different types of auras/partials there are depending on where in the brain it takes place!

Great topic. I have always got the strong feeling of vertigo and stomach nausea-like feelings akin to terror when myopic colonic starts. I have tried to explain this to people to no avail. It is like a horrifying grief.

Back
Top Bottom