• Most of the time

Votes: 50 39.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Never

Votes: 16 12.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The aura itself actually is a partial seizure.

I know I've had ones that felt like they were going to gain momentum and grow into a larger seizure but haven't.

Last edited:
I'm dealing with all kinds of new stuff recently and today my head is all over the place. I'm seeing things that aren't there hearing things, and the world keeps moving even though I'm not. I don't even know what to call this... but it sucks!

I know once every so often I'll start getting these weird auras, they're very light seizures but if I'm in front of the computer I'm totally drawn into the screen (which doesn't usually happen). I can usually stop them but there's this huge feeling of euphoria that I get so I forget at first to try & stop them.

When I do get them I'll have between 1 and 5 an hour and it definitely alters my world but it doesn't sound like what you described.

I really hope you get these things under control.

You feel like your 4 nad nothing wrokd. I cant put word right my head keeps chang funny all over

My aura's are always on the computer. I have a hard time describing them to people. I can see what is in front of me and know what it says, but can't verbalize it. It is an odd feeling. I used to get them a lot, not realizing they were a form of seizure. Every tonic clonic seizure i have had (except 1) has been preceded by an aura

My neck turns uncontrollably I shriek out, shiver, in a space of 5 seconds then im out of it! But none since May! Hopefully when I'm off the Clobazam It won't happen! Fingers crossed!

I have one type of Seizure, I am still not really clear on the classifications but I completely loose consciousness and it feels like i am waking up after a long sleep when I come around except that i am in tremendous pain. I am told i do massive amounts of tensing up and making demonic sounding growling noises.

Yes I always have Auras before a seizure , they are very strange things become very clear that is it seems as if I can somehow dedicate 100% of my attention to everything simultaneously, colors become perfect and distinct and often time appears to slow dramatically. to be honest I love it and i wish I could just function like THAT all the time.

I have auras without a seizure happening and before it occurs. Usually I feel the building of a seizure by the emotional feeling of fear, a feeling of something bad/horrible is about to happen. They seem to repeatedly happen over the course of 4/5 to 15/20 minutes; but not always having a seizure. The feelings that happen during an aura are horrific. I get really scared---one, because of the emotions that it triggers in that area of my brain--the right temporal lobe. (that area is significant for emotions). Another reason I get scared is the not knowing if a seizure is going to happen; and/or when and where I'll be when it does. It's a "double whammy" effect.

I mostly have seizures when I'm about to sleep. I can also wake up having a seizure in the middle of the night. It's very hard for me to explain what my auras are like but I always have them. The length varies. I call my auras my small seizures and they can come in daytime, too. It's hard for me to define when it's the small seizure and when it starts being a big one. It's like a strange feeling around my head, I can't hear my surroundings very clear, there's a very loud drum-like sound and even when I can still hear what people are saying to me it doesn't make any sense to me and I can't talk even though I form words in my head. I usually feel fear or no worries and no feelings really except the thought about something scary will begin in a moment. I'm soaring into my own world and everything around me disappears. I'm in a dreamy state and if they start while I'm asleep I sometimes know it's coming while I'm actually in a dream. After the first short warning I might be able to get up on my feet before it starts and I can prevent a "big one" but most times it's too late and my brain disconnects with my body so I can't move. To me the seizure ends with the feeling of completely falling into myself and then being "gone". It wasn't till I was married I realized I sometimes kick with my feet after this point.

This is interesting, I will keep an eye out in the future before I go to sleep. I wonder if I had an aura the other night when I heard a loud noise and had excessive blinking and got drawn into my laptop for a minute but was still able to read etc. And I then had quite a bad nights sleep and woke up more tired.

I also experience being drawn into my laptop. It happens from time to time but I don't know if it is an aura or I am simply tired? I can also still read. I haven't thought about the possibility of it having to do with seizures till I read this.

Have you ever told someone; "do you know that feeling when this and this happens. Isn't that annoying?" and they go "No I don't know that! It sounds weird!" and you think you must be crazy or something because you thought that was something everybody felt? Well, I recognize many things here on cwe that others thought were weird when I told them. Now I don't feel crazy anymore. :)

Yes, I had a weird event a couple of months back that could have been an absence seizure. I answered my name for a register but i swear i didn't.

I've also may have had an aura right now, but it could just be stress related because I've had panic attacks before. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach and slightly moved my chin and have become slightly cold. I'm sure theres other symptoms that i'm missing out, thats why its important to try and remember and write things down

Can you get aura's during the day before a night seizure or does it generally mean that your going to have one at that moment or within a couple of hours?

I don't know... Yesterday all day I was feeling off, kind of my whole body feeling like I was in it, yet I wasn't... I was tired, feeling weak, my head almost felt like it was floating all day with this weird sharp side headache which would come hard like once every hour for I'd say at least 8 hours. I was watching tv, talking with my husband, and noticed my head getting heavy, I was able to talk to him, but I could feel my words coming out really slow and mumbling, I was really concentrating to speak normal so I would feel normal. I started getting really really hot, where I wanted to take off all my clothes, and it wasn't hot at all. I felt like that all day. Does anybody know what that was??

I mean, was this just me freaking out at nothing, a panic attack, a aura some sort of seizure?? It kind of freaked me out, all day, even this morning, I feel off... Just its really hard to explain...

The aura itself actually is a partial seizure.

Does this mean that if you have an aura that lasts 30 minutes or longer - without it developing further - it's classed as Status Epilepticus?

...And if you have an aura that lasts 30 minutes or longer followed directly by a Tonic-Clonic that lasts 30 minutes or longer you have experienced a cluster of two Status Epilepticuses?

An aura is a focal seizure. Status epilepticus exists for all types of seizures, even though the smaller focal types are not life threatening when your consciousness is not affected. It may affect your neuronal well being.
An aura for 30 minutes followed directly by 30min of a generalized tonic clonic seizure is one event and most definitely status.
http://www.neurology-asia.com/Status_Epilepticus.php
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC486465/?page=1

I often have my small seizures that last a few hours. I have two different types of simple partial seizure onsets: familiarity and fear. Familiarity has become part of my personality. I am grateful that fear does not present itself often. Some people are prescribed benzodiazepines for help with long lasting auras/simple partial seizures.

I don't have aura very often and 5-6 different types of seizures. I might just get a sensation in my head . I have tonic clonic , absence,generalized,atonic,partials and I think I might have started having myoclonic jerks.

I'm just tired of seizing not being controlled ever. I want a life with NO seizures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did have auras. I had deja vu followed by a sickening sensation in my throat. It was the same feeling you would get in your chest or stomach when you get a sudden fright. Imagine that in your throat. It started at the bottom of my throat and slowly rose. As it was rising it got stronger. The was still having auras for 2 yrs after my 2nd surgery which was in 2006. The auras eventually ceased

Last edited:
I always have auras before my seizures, however they will usually start as a "feeling" - very small, almost not even there. Then that feeling grows stronger and more intense until it comes out as a full blown seizure.

I never new that auras were actually seizures b/4 I joined this forum - good to know.
It explains alot - my auras feel just like I'm having a seizure, except my body isn't losing control. As the aura intensifies, I begin to lose control (have a seizure)
It's kinda' hard to describe - it's like a wave of confusion and helplesness washes over me
then I get goose bumps on my arms & legs.
Sometimes I will go an entire day just having auras, and then by suppertime the big seizures begin.
This usually happens a few times a month.
So, if I'm having auras alot, should I mention this to my neuro. ? I guess so if they are actually seizures.
Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom