Awaiting diagnosis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's TLE!

Just got back from the neuro. Woohooo - a confirmed diagnosis - it's temporal lobe epilepsy. EEG showed abnormal slow waves, predominantly on the right.

I'm to start on Lamictal. I wasn't keen to start on meds while I'm travelling, but she said it would help me a lot to take this - that I would function better.

Anyway, thought I'd pop this news here rather than in a new thread, because I'll be offline most of the next month, just to update those who are following this thread. Thank you all so much for your information and support. Some of the experiences you shared helped me answer when she asked "so what symptoms have you had, that fit TLE?" She eventually had to stop me from listing them all LOL And they were all the truth - I just didn't realise some of the more obscure were auras or seizures until I came here.

I finally feel like I have been listened to, and now that I have a diagnosis, I know what I'm working with and can move forward. YAY! Happy me!

Edited to add: Tegretol, not Lamictal! Shouldn't have written that from memory while the script was in the car LOL

Cheers
Chel

Last edited:
Congratulations

Doesn't if feel great when you finally feel like you're moving forward & dealing with the issue at hand? :banana:

Good luck with the Lamictal. I would suggest keeping a diary of your seizures (if you have any) and how you feel so that you can gauge the side-effects (again, if you have any). Remember that quite often side-effects disappear after time & if the pills are controlling your seizures it'd be too bad to switch before giving them a fair chance. At the same time, keep a close eye on them to make sure that you can still function & that you don't get an allergic reaction.

Have a good trip & let us know how you're doing when/if you can. Otherwise we'll wait for the Lamictal Report in a month.

Doesn't if feel great when you finally feel like you're moving forward & dealing with the issue at hand?

It sure does!

Thanks for the support, and a diary is a good idea. Now that I'm "official", I'll get serious about doing that.

Cheers
Chel

Glad you finally got a diagnosis.

I would definately rethink starting your meds while traveling....OR start at an extremely low dose.

I have had an allergic reaction to 3 different AED's. I would hate for something to mess up your trip.

Best of Luck :)

Chel,

I'm on Lamictal. It's my second try on it, because the first time I got a rash. This time we are ramping up much more slowly. Ask your doc to go 1/2 speed on the titration if you are worried about it. Just go really Slowwwwwww ramping up and you should be okay.

Lamictal is the drug that's supposed to mess with your intellect, emotions, etc. the LEAST. So I'm hoping you take this stuff, no problems.

My mistake, Endless - I'm on Tegretol, not Lamictal. My meds and prescription were in the car, while I posted from the office. Don't know why Lamictal came to mind! The brain works in mysterious ways!

Anyway, when I expressed concern about starting meds while I'm away from home, she put me on 1/2 tab 2xday instead of whole tab once per day. I think she said I could even start 1/2 tab at night only, if I wasn't comfortable taking the morning dose. I might do that - have a biiiiiiig day at work today...

Thanks again!

Chel

I"m on tegretol

Starting at night is a good idea. The side-effects are (as per most AED's) sleepiness and things that will probably help you sleep better. It might be harder to wake up but at least you'll be able to sleep off the side-effects you might have while your body adapts to them.

Thanks epileric. I'm also not sure she made the connection that I'm on Topamax for my migraines (it's in my file, but prescribed by my GP), and I forgot to remind her. I should call her today, me thinks...

Chel

Me thinks you're right about calling her just to make sure.

It just occurred to me that if you do feel overly sleepy in the morning then something to eat should increase your metabolism to metabolize what tegretol might still be in your system. It doesn't have to be a lot though.

Hey, Chel,

I agree with Eric. Starting at night is a good idea. AEDs knock me out like a sleeping pill until I get used to whatever I'm on. I take my night dose about an hour before I go to bed, because they take an hour or so to take effect.

Hi CHEL
I've just had all the tests to see if I'm suitable for the op I was able to choose the days when I went in, Just as well because not much later I was doing the coast to coast walk(200ml) so I told them and they made my appointments to suit that.So if you tell them you've made plans then they should make allowances for you. It sounds as though you've really been through the mill.
Best wishes
ALAN

Back
Top Bottom