B6 and Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pnal

New
Reaction score
My 5 year old is on 4 ml. of trileptal, twice a day. He has focal seizures that turn into generalized seizures. I just started giving him b6 and magnesium on January 2, 2012. What a difference!! Seizures stopped after 3 days. (He is still on medication, as well). After reading hundreds of posts from other parents about b6 and magnesium working and being able to reduce the medication given, I wanted to try it out. I'm only giving him half of the recommended dosage of b6 and magnesium for his age. Will gradually work up to a full dose over the next two weeks.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and how to go about reducing medication. I was going to wait two weeks and weekly reduce by .25 ml. every two weeks. I know that neurologists want children to be seizure free for a year. On the other hand, our neurologist never told us that seizure meds deplete magnesium out of the body. Our neurologist gives us no information about diet, sugar, etc. when I ask about my son's increasing seizures. His stock answer is, "Up the meds."

Other parents have reduced their child's medication after seeing immediate results from b6 and magnesium being taken. I just want to know the safe way of doing it. If anyone has successfully done this, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!!

Excellent that you see such a change in your son.

Personally I would wait a while before taking your son off of his medication. Then I would ask the neurologist how to do it as they have a better understanding of how AEDs work.

Hi Pnal --

I agree with Eric -- where seizures and seizure meds are concerned, it's important to go slowly. Wait a bit (a month at minimum) to confirm that your 5-year old is stable. If you still want to wean off the medication, keep his neurologist in the loop, just in case there are any issues to be aware of during the tapering process, or things to do if his seizures recur.

When tapering off meds, going slowly can't hurt -- and it can often help in terms of minimizing any withdrawal side effects (including the risk of seizures). The safest way is to make the increments as small as possible, and you should give the brain a chance to acclimate at each level before dropping to the next one. Two weeks would be safer than one week, a month might be safer than two weeks. Your son's sensitivity to meds may be a factor to consider, as well as how long he has been on the Trileptal. One withdrawal side effect can be insomnia, so a "low and slow" taper plan might help to prevent that.

Hi Pnal,

I have been using vitamin B6 for almost 41 years to control my seizures, no Anti-Epileptic Drugs and no special diets.

In my lifetime I have had two unsuccessful trials of Anti-Epileptic Drugs.

I was two weeks old when I had my first seizure and B6 was first precribed when I was just five months old.

My story and some useful links can be found at the following URL:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/development-issues-other-questions-14618/

It's so wonderful to see a child that responds to B6 and Mg.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Andy

Last edited:
Thank you for you input. I think I will wait about 4 weeks and go very slowly. Thank you!

I just increased my B6 (I was already taking magnesium and other vitamins/minerals) about a week ago, and I'm already noticing a difference! I'm taking 3000mg of Keppra and 400mg of Lamictal. My neuro. told me I should take B6 to counteract the side effects of Keppra. I assumed there was enough in my B-50 complex vitamin, but I didn't buy the B6 by itself until a week ago. Also, I put off really looking much into it since I didn't really experience much in the way of Keppra side effects, but wow, I didn't realize my seizures would decrease a LOT. I'm hoping this will continue! In addition, my hypothyroid symptoms seem better, too, with my seemingly unending edema/water retention finally going away. I've lost 2.5 pounds in water weight since starting the B6.

Debbie,
I'm so happy for you. I know that slight feeling of relief when things finally start to improve. I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Back
Top Bottom