Bed wetting because of seizures in my sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone ever wet themselves at night because of a seizure? I’ve recently had problems with bed wetting in my sleep as the title states. Sometimes I wake up with a severe headache, which makes me think seizure.

It’s never just a little bit of a leak, it’s always my entire bladder.

Ive been doing great, seizure free for over a year now. Unless I’m having them in my sleep...

I don’t know what to do to stop it if I even can. I just wish I knew what is causing it. Anyway, just thought I’d ask if anyone has dealt with this before.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area!

there is nothing like fresh sheets from last time, and waking up in a big wet spot

It can happen. I have wet myself many times during complex partials while awake. About 2 months ago, I apparently had a seizure while sleeping, & wet myself.

My good friend has the seizures. The 1st time she wet herself she was awake and we were sightseeing. She was 16 at the time. Then it didn't happen for a very long time. It started again in her 40's. Sometimes awake or while sleeping but not always. As she got older it became more frequent while asleep. Now at 65 I think it always happens if she has a seizure while sleeping.

I just learned of mattress pads for these and other bedtime accidents. I'm also a Sr. Citizen and they were given to me free. But they are too small for adults and IMO these don't have enough of the absorbent layer to completely protect the mattress. I was told they come in a larger size and hopefully with a thicker absorbent layer. One side absorbs and the other side is water proof (supposedly). I'm going to ask my case worker for them. They even make adult pampers if it's very frequent. Any pharmacy should have the adult pampers.
I would think a surgical supply store might have the pads. Also check online to see what's available. There's many things. They are made for Seniors who can lose control of the bladder and the rear end. There's no reason a person with nighttime seizures can't use them as well.

I have started wearing bladder leakage protection pads when I'm going out just in case I have a complex partial. I want to avoid being in a situation where I'm having the seizure & wetting myself in a public place. I don't wear them while at home or to bed. It's happened only once at night, but at least 4 times during daytime complex partials.

My son has epilepsy and out of my own personal experience of raising a child with this condition I can say that it is normal to display symptoms of bladder incontinence in epilepsy. And as you stated, these tend to occur when you are fast asleep or even in the half-sleep condition.

Nightime bedwetting or noctural enuresis is common among people with epilepsy, more so in the case of children. In fact, chronic enuresis can be taken as a warning sign for neurological disorder.

Now talking about adults, its more or less the same neurobiology. Epileptic patients show abnormal neuronal activities within a particular portion of the brain which can restrict movement of muscles.

This could be a muscle of your bladder too. If the brain is not able to decipher that the bladder is full since its movement is not detected, the individual will not know that its time to visit the loo.

it is normal to display symptoms of bladder incontinence in epilepsy. .

It may be normal but it doesn't always happen. My friend had seizures for 3 yrs before the incontinence first happened. And we were at the top of the Empire State Building in NYC. She was wearing a new dress because it was Valentines Day. We had a whole evening planned for in the city. A regular seizure would have just put us behind schedule. But the incontinence caused the whole evening to end. Even so, much worse things happen.

The incontinence issues started about 6 years ago for me, I think. It doesn't happen with every complex partial I have, either.

I have but no where like others suffer.Dont always put it down to sz you could have many things sz a factor. be good idea get appointment with urodymatic doc.
MY OLDman had catheter back in april and nurse took thing out learving ballon still inflated(tear to eyes gents)all these months he still got problems and needs pee bottle near him.With me I get obsessed about peeing and will take action which just as humiliating I get little sleep just incase I pee i have bladder problems unrelated to sz but I not know if odd pee is related.when you think about it,it do seem reasonable a sz could make bladder worse if only a small short one.Like you I wake up with head ache and feel awful but I had hysterectomy and that in itself can cause pee problems so I don't know if small sz is cause or pelvic muscles.i been offered operation on bladder recto musles but don't want surgery if e is the cause it all big conumdram that not helped you a jot

Back
Top Bottom