behvioural issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
My 22month can be the average toddler then go into these as his nureo describes it almost manic states. Today it started from his waking up after his nap around noon, his head was soaked in sweat and his pillow was so wet i had to dry it outside. He was agitated, squinty eyes and not quite right for around 30min then seemed OK so had some lunch. When I put him down to walk after lunch his legs didn't work properly and he was unsteady for 20-30min. This is not usunual for him. He then came good but a couple of hours later went into his strange state. He was biting, scratching, jumpong on and hitting his 3yr old sister to the extent of reducing her to tears and her saying to me he doesn't love me any more. We tried all the things we have been taught to help him, hand in front of his face so he has a visual cue as well as an auditory one. Moving him to a different room to play and not giving him attention etc but he kept going and sadly thought hurting his sister was funny. If he was not at her he was going from one thing to the other. Maybe this is normal toddler behaviour and I have been spoilt with my 3 and 5yr old but its like he just doesn't get that he is doing something wrong. When he is not in one of these states he would get upset if he hurt anyone and would say sorry as soon as he realised, often crying as well.
I know he was not right this afternoon as I saw his eyes go squinty roll back the go squinty again a few times but it breaks my heart to see how upset my other kids can get when he is like this.
We see his Paed on the 20th Dec and I send his Nureo a monthly update email in a week or so so will mention it then.
Does anyone have any idea's on how I can help him understand he is doing something wrong when he is in one of these moods/states. He is on Tegretol which his Nureologist said should be helping him focus more as well as controlling his events.

Donna

Back
Top Bottom