Benign Rolandic Epilepsy with unilateral spikes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son has every classic manifstation of benign rolandic epilepsy, except the EEG showed a different spike wave pattern. The spikes were unilateral instead of in both hemispheres. He never really fell asleep during the EEG so it's hard to say what the sleeping waves looked like. My pediatirician has ordered an MRI to rule out anything structural and said that it still could be BRE, just not showing the typical pattern. Anyone have any experience with this. I am so worried for the phone call after his MRI that they are going to tell me he has a brain tumor. This, despite the fact that he has ZERO symptoms of a brain tumor other than two 30 second episodes of facial twitching and tongue tingling over the last 6 weeks. He has had smaller episodes of tingling, but no twitching. Coordination is good, no headaches, no vomiting, no double vision. He is 100% normal except for those 2 episodes

Please realize that just because something is found by the MRI does not mean it is deadly.

I was born with my seizures but 12 years ago the MRI showed a lesion on my hypothalamus. It's a very unusual thing to happen but we now know what is probably causing my seizures and the lesion itself is no big deal, we can assume that like my epilepsy it's always been there.

Thanks. I know that many things can be found that are no big deal. But I think I'm going to vomit until I get the all clear call. And really, I keep reminding myself that he has ZERO symptoms other than the very small episodes he's had.

It's probably all to easy for you to imagine the worst -- a very natural parental response -- but I agree with Eric, there's no need to jump to conclusions. An MRI is a standard test to run with nay neurological symptoms. Sometimes it can show a lesion or a vascular issue, but it's just as likely that nothing will show up. I hope you can relax a bit. Keep us posted.

My 10 year old son is in almost exactly the same situation.
He has had 3 seizures over the last 6 weeks. Each one has been partial, lasted about 45 seconds, and been early in the morning. His neuro tests were 100% fine
We had the EEG results which indicated unilateral spikes and have the MRI scheduled for Friday, June 1st.
The neurologist says its BRE and doesn't expect to find anything surprising in the MRI, but we are still worried sick (just like you)!
Its really hard to stay logical and remain level headed when the possibilities, however remote, are looming in the back of our minds.
All I can say is stay strong and stick to the facts rather than succumbing to the fear.
Bryan

Best of luck Bryan. I'm sure your son's MRI will turn out fine, just like my son's did. No abnormalities and they are going with likely BRE. When the nurse called to say that he MRI was fine, she said that the is fairly certain it's BRE. After 3 dr visits, an MRI and EEG in the course of 10 days, I was very glad that we don't have to go back until the end of June!! I'll say a prayer for your son!

Thanks

Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm so glad to hear things worked out for your son (and you as well)!
We are staying positive and will keep in touch.
Bryan

Thanks Bryan--they told me after the MRI that the reason they had to do it is because there is an off chance that the seizures could have been caused by a lesion or something right in that particular region. Then went on to say that it was highly unlikely because of his age, his otherwise perfectly fine functioning, and the fact thathe had the classic symptoms. I would have appreciated that info before I worried myself sick over the MRI!!! How long will you have to wait for results? Thankfully, we got ours the same day. I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow and send positive thoughts your way!

Dear ilovetorun
the symptoms your boy exhibits favor the diagnosis of BRE .the seizures in BRE typically present with parasthesia ( tingling) around the mouth and tongue followed by clonic facial contractions, increased salivation and drooling. The typical EEG abnormality is high-voltage central-midtemporal blunt sharp waves activated in sleep. Since he didn't sleep it is unlikely you'd find the classical picture.
The final word is ultimately your neurologists' - diseases don't read textbooks. BRE can present with unilateral spikes. its probably just as well to get the mri done to rule out structural abnormalities ( its unlikely to show anything given the lack of symptoms of an ICSOL but never hurts to be cautious)

All d best
Arvind

Thanks drarvindr. We did get the MRI and it was normal, so they're operating under the assumption that it's BRE. He hasn't had one since May 12, knock on wood! I was surprised when they ordered the MRI because his symptoms are so textbook for BRE I was positive that's what it was. Looks like Dr Google was right!

My daughter has BRE. She experienced hypoglycemia (took 3 hour GTT) during the worst of her seizures but it was determined that she has no glucose issues (monitored blood sugar and ketones for 1 month). 3 doctors said that seizures don't induce hypoglycemia--usually the other way around. Has anyone else experienced anything like this???

Back
Top Bottom