Biofeedback, Nutrition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chaz, I just forwarded that link on to our oldest son, who is in the military in a specialized training program -- he's currently studying nuclear physics while also having to do a lot of extreme workouts, so thought magnesium would be helpful for him on several levels.

He had mild ADD as a child, suppose he still does (we didn't medicate -- just used coping skills), so I also recommended the omega 3 fish oil to him, as his study program is quite intense -- lots of memory involved, and on top of that, he has to do a lot of translation work on the side.

Oh, and an update...after starting the magnesium and omega 3 fish oil...Jon has had 2 siezure free nights, and one night with a mild tonic.

On the night he had the tonic...he got up and came to my bed and woke me up, and then took my hand and led me back to his bed. So, I was patting his hand and trying to help him to fall asleep again, but he was quite agitated, kept sitting up and looking at "something" up in one corner of the room -- I looked where he was looking, and couldn't see anything. But he kept looking over there, and was terrified. That's when he had the seizure.

A question about bio-feedback --well 2

First, stupid question -- is it the same as neurofeedback?

Second, if one's seizures and abnormal seizure patterns usually manifest during sleep, how does biofeedback work in that case? It's my understanding that there's positive feedback and negative feedback based on whether one is having "normal" brain waves or abnormal brainwaves.

Another question, what if certain "abnormal" brain waves (such as slowing in frontal lobes) are the consequence of Down Syndrome, rather than epilepsy.

Karen,

Wonder did he have (bad?) dream he could not shake and scared him to seizure; I am having vivid dreams since starting the Magnesium and so did my Son in 1st month but they are gone for him now, and not every night. Pretty amazing he woke u and brought u to his bed side, or is normal?

Neurofeedback and bio-feedback are very similar...they both train the brain. If trained long enough (brain needs to accept the training, no short journey) - can help in both wake/sleep status (sub conscious)...He has nocturnal T/C seizures mainly, but we have seen a few day times.

In his therapy EEG they located area of his brain that never relaxed = locked in hyper mode. I would need to look back at EEG to name the area (private, and sent out of country for analysis). They have been working on training this via Neurofeedback and bio-feedback for 10 months now, once weekly and a talk session to. They also seen that his overall head muscles did not relax and trained this to (one he calls upon). We in the wait for last EEG to provide more feedback..Will report as soon as I know more.

You would need to talk to the experts when it comes to slowing in frontal lobes due to Down Syndrome and not sure Jon would have the patience, but with the right practioner, who knows.

I think he may have had a hallucination, and I'm blaming the Diazepam. No, he doesn't usually take me over to his bed, usually he just crawls in bed with us if he needs a little comforting.

Last night he woke up at 2 a.m. I heard his little feet running across the room, and he grabbed my leg, and then he was dancing and spinning all over the room, then running through the house. Although he has never been a good sleeper, it isn't usual for him to have manic episodes in the middle of the night. I thought he might be having an aura or a partial gelastic type of seizure, but he finally went back to sleep, then at 4:30 he had a very mild tonic -- just screamed and stiffened, but went right back to sleep. And then another little "grunt" thing upon awakening this morning, but no stiffening.

You can try transdermal magnesium runs which can help relax at bedtime.

Yes, mag helps with restless leg.

I LOVE hearing all of the trials with positive results. I am 8 yrs migraine free due to my supplementing with it. For me it has been a lifesaver.

EEG results are in. We seeing overall improvement. Woohoo!

Good news is, he has a trainable brain (some do not) and he is looking at another year of training :), considering his results, he was more than happy to go forward…

They will not continuing with neurotherapy/neurofeedback if there is no concrete improvement visible on latest EEG...He still high hyper alert mode compared to norm, especially when eyes closed but the proof is in the pudding, we are seeing it go down. I will give more details later, we just home.

He is still clocking up the seizure free weeks...believe magnesium is having a helping hand, seems to promote (overall) rest and good if not great sleep. And he is using a probiotic daily, started using around same time as adding the magnesium..

today is a good day!

Oh, Chaz, that is just such fabulous news. I am soooooooo happy for you.

Jonathan had initial improvement after adding in the magnesium and fish oil, and he is still sleeping better. But tweaking the Keto diet 2 weeks ago (to increase ketosis) seemed to have a negative effect -- his ketosis did increase, but maybe too much, because now he's back up to 2 or 3 tonics a day.

So...we have decreased his diet ratio a bit, as that seems to be putting too much stress on his system, and tilting him toward acidosis. We also decreased his fish oil to every other day, since both it and the Zonegran he's on can cause blood thinning, and we have been seeing bruises (which of course are caused by him bumping into things when he has a seizure).

We also added in a probiotic several days ago. My reasoning on this (along with Robin's admonitions on gut health) was that his relapse in seizures (following 11 months seizure free) came just after he had a bad stomach virus in March followed by a sort of gastrointeritis or something along that line -- even after he shed the virus, he still had diarrhea for 2 weeks. So...perhaps that messed up his gut health (he's had diarrhea several times a week ever since), which is affecting absorbtion of nutrients and meds. So...I'm guessing that it will take the probiotic a couple weeks to have any effect.

Another thing I'm considering is calcium. He doesn't get much calcium in his diet or in his supplements, but all the testing so far has showed that his calcium levels are at normal range (last test done March 2012). So, I haven't added in calcium supplements because the Keto diet can cause kidney stones, as can the Zonegran he's now on, and calcium can add to the trouble. But when we see his neurologist on Monday, I think I'll request a blood test for that just to be sure. If he DOES have a calcium deficiency, that could certainly contribute to seizures.

As far as neurofeedback -- have been doing some experimentation at home. When Jon has night seizures, he usually gets really restless about 10 or 15 minutes before they hit. So...when he starts getting restless at night, I tuck him into bed with me, and we do this finger thing (tapping the end of my finger on the end of his finger ==like ET -- this has been a little comfort measure for him since infancy). This seems to be helpful in heading off some of the seizures. Often, he'll go right back off to sleep. Of course, it means I have to sleep lightly so I'm aware of when he's starting to get restless. I've also discovered that I can sometimes stop a tonic mid-stream but putting my hand on his chest and speaking to him in a firm but comforting tone "It's Ok, Jon Jon, Mommy's here" -- he'll be doing this wide eyed stare and scream, and sometimes he'll just stop right in the middle of a scream and calm right down. I find this rather amazing, because I've always assumed he wasn't aware of his surroundings during a seizure (he does seem to lose vision), but apparently he can hear. The interesting thing is that I've been doing this for about a week, and the other day he had a seizure, and was in the other room, so it took me a few seconds to get to where he was, but he apparently stopped the seizure on his own -- he screamed out twice, and on the 2nd scream -- stopped mid-scream, and by time I got in there he was settling down. Maybe he's self training?

Chaz -- great news for you and your son! That's terrific!

Karen -- I hope you continue you to find ways to get Jon's seizures under control. The interventions you describe sound really promising.

If Jon's getting at least some calcium in his diet, the increased magnesium can help with it's metabolism. Vitamin D is important for metabolizing calcium as well -- I assume he's getting plenty in his supplements.

About the only significant source of calcium in Jon's diet is about 1 ounce of cheese daily. He can't drink milk, because of the Keto diet, and yogurt is also too high in carbs, and he can have cream but that doesn't have much calcium. There's lots of calcium in leafy green veggies, but these tend to give him diarrhea, even when chopped up really fine.

His supplements only have a small amount of calcium -- I'm not exactly clear on why.

Karen - are sesame seeds (tahini paste) a possibility? Ground sesame seeds are a decent source of dietary calcium too. Tahini paste can be used in a lot of different ways too - homemade salad dressings, sandwich spread (hummus), thickener in soups, etc.

just a little update from me

My Son latest QEEG results are in. We seeing MEGA improvement. Like fall off chair improvements! Even where they train him – are all smiles!!

What was previously lit up as red on his EEG, and this was nearly all across his brain when he started, is turning green (meaning healing!!)..

It’s been a long road for My Son doing this therapy, (21 months now weekly) and he still going forward with neurotherapy/bio feedback…

Do I recommend neurotherapy/bio feedback…YES!

Oh Chaz, that's GREAT news!! I didn't realize that an EEG would show up red or green.

Bernard, I just noticed your posting on sesame seeds again. At the time you posted it, Jon was having the problems with diarrhea, so we weren't using seeds or nuts. But I've been buying black sesame "flour" (the seeds ground up) for myself (goes in morning porridge), so I think we could probably use this for Jon as well. I need to check it on the Ketocalculator, but it probably would fit in with the Ketogenic diet as it's high in fat and relatively low in carbs.

Thanks Chaz! I'd never heard of a QEEG -- so I looked it up. Apparently it may also have applications for psychiatric disorders (which is what we're currently dealing with -- Jon's been seizure free for 6 months, but now dealing with some violence, which may possibly be caused by his Zonegran).

Chaz, I'm thrilled to hear about the progress the biofeedback has made for your son! Wow. It inspires/reminds me to keep the neurofeedback option on the table even though my seizures are currently controlled by meds.

Fantastic news Chaz. Sometimes NFB grinds along with seemingly little effect and then boom, the brain starts adapting to the new protocol an you see significant changes all of a sudden. That's how it happened with Stacy. We almost quit doing it at the first 3 1/2 months with no results. But we stuck with it and 5 months or so, it was like magic - huge, dramatic improvement.

I looked up natural things to take for Parkinson's. I found out to take: magnesium, cod oil, Omega 3, Calcium with Vitamin D and Vitamin B Complex.

It helps prevent seizures. I take these supplements for my epilepsy all ready.

My diet for my Diabetes helps prevent seizures. I am on the Glycemic Index Diet.

Back
Top Bottom