Blood Test & Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

VIP
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am sure many of you have had to have blood test to check your drug level every now and then. I saw a new Epileptologist and I was told not
to take my morning seizure med and after the blood test then I could take it. What I am wondering is have any of you had to do the same thing.
I ended up having a seizure. I've had to have a drug level done in the past but I've never been told not to take my med and
I was wondering if things were the same for you or could you take your med before the test. Thanks for your help and time and May God Bless You!

Sue

I don't think I've been told not to take my meds before a drug test.

My suggestion is to get your drug test done as soon as you can to the time that you take your meds. This way you won't have to wait a long time. Many of them open early in the morning.

I had monthly blood work done while on Phenobarbital, & my neurologist would often order blood work when I was on Topiramate. Neither time was I told not to take my medication. The lab techs would often ask what time I took my last dose of medication.

I've never been told to NOT take my meds. The only time I think you're supposed to is if you're at the hospital and they're trying to get you to have one with an EEG/video and get more info. That way the doctors can make sure you're taken care of in case it's a bad one. Otherwise I have always taken mine and never told not to.

Sorry to hear about the seizure.
I’ve never been told to not take my meds. If anything extra precautions were taken to prevent missing a dose
During testing when in the hospital is about it.

Hi Folks,

I am sure many of you have had to have blood test to check your drug level every now and then. I saw a new Epileptologist and I was told not
to take my morning seizure med and after the blood test then I could take it. What I am wondering is have any of you had to do the same thing.
I ended up having a seizure. I've had to have a drug level done in the past but I've never been told not to take my med and
I was wondering if things were the same for you or could you take your med before the test. Thanks for your help and time and May God Bless You!

Sue
Yes this was the procedure I had to follow back in January. My level became sub therapeutic due to hrt which I had to stop. I rook my evening dose the day before the test. When my blood was drawn it was 10 hours from my last dose. . I was instructed to have the blood drawn between 9 - 12 hours after my evening dose.My lamotrigine level had dropped to 2.1. Scary period. Saw my neurologist in February. My dose had been 150mg daily. He increased it to 200mg daily. I remained seizure free all through this. It was stressful and scary.

Back
Top Bottom