Bought a golfcart for some wheels!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
In an effort to be as independent as possible and to paint where and when I please (well, within reason :) ) I called various governement agencies to include the local DMV, the police and sheriff's dept, and the state DMV.
All gave me the go ahead to drive an electric golfcart because, as my research yielded, an Electric Golfcart is not considered motorizes because it operates on batteries.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one, because I held out hope when I bought the first one, that I'd be able to get my DL back. Well, that hope has been extinguised for now, and I am one happy artist who can drive about 5 miles round trip on a charge and at a great price of $.46 per charge. :)

What I found was a 1974 tank, a Cushman golfcart made of steel that is solid and heavy. While I am very careful, wear seatbelts, use signals, and arm signals, have a bright flashing orange light at the back, use mirrors, take alleys, side roads whenever possible, it was important to me to be able to take a lighter hit without rolling over.

When we bought our future retirement home in Arizona, I found a place on the busline but soon missed my golfcart. So, I went on Craigslist, as before, and found another cart. This one is faster, about 30 mph compared to about 20 with the Cushman, as she's made of fiberglass. She is also battery operated.

I paid $375 for the first cart, the nice Lester Charger, and good batteries, Trojans. The second one needs a little body work, really just a paint job and bright pink or lime green may be the right color to be noticed here. :) But, I snagged her for $275 with the same charger and the batteries. I painted the Cushman Black, recarpeted the front, and she looks sharp, and it was an easy task.

I keep a bin, for groceries, my paint box, a tow rope, mace (for man or beast), cellphone, and am soon going to acquire a 1200 volt gas generator. This will allow me to charge as I am driving, thus allowing me to travel farther, or simply get home should I misjudge the charge I have left. And, it generates noise, which isn't all bad when on a busier street. I calculate that I'll get another 3-5 miles from it.

If you are interested in this mode of transport, pm me and I'll help as I'm able. I didn't know a thing about golfcarts, was scared of batteries and now, I am totally comfortable with it all.

These two purchases have been wonderful additions to my life. It's very freeing to be out when I choose. While some may not find her as exciting as I, to me, it's as exhilirating as if I were on a motorcycle!
Best wishes, and Cheers with a Lemonade!

Wow! Good for you! What a smart idea. :clap:

Are those things street legal in Arizona? I don't think they are here. At least I've never seen one on the road.

It's really environmentally smart, too.

I was told that some of these alternative vehicles in our area are not allowed on the streets that are posted at 40 mph. I guess you can get around the back roads. I think even crossing the main road would be challenged by our police.

How very

neat! I don't think I would have personally thought of such an idea--but then again, up here in Indiana, I don't think a golf cart would make it too well.

Very creative thinking--especially with the generator!

Yeah....leave it to an artist to paint golf carts with some functionality behind them! I used to live near a woman who took a giant tricycle to the grocery store. She never painted it, but we didn't miss seeing her go in it.

Hi, All!

I called the various governmental agencies here in Tempe and was given a thumbs up. Now, would I want to drive down Southern or Baseline, no, that'd be crazy, but, I do cross those streets at the lights.

The positive response from people who see me is very cool. I am sure they think I am being energy conscious...I am, My energy! :) But, I love the idea of it leaving a very small carbon footprint and that it's so cheap to run.

Wouldn't it be great that in addition to bike lanes, we could get electric car lanes and meters so we could plug in while inside the store or whatever? :)

Police here in Arizona, have seen me out and no one has ever stopped me. As long as the electric cart travels at speeds less than 35 (as I recall) it is street legal to be operated without a drivers license. On some roads, you need it to be powerful enough to be faster than 35. I choose to avoid those roads as I don't want to be in that fast traffic.

Around ASU, I see a number of carts on the busy streets and those new smaller cars out now. Do a search and you'll see some very cool little models.

I've seen some very cool small electric cars that would be fun to have. Perhaps I'll move up to one of them. For now, I simply wanted to see if they would work in the different terrain, weather, and so on.

Meetz, I have one in South Dakota where the winters are terrible. I used mine until the snow got too deep and then friends thought I should have chains and you know what...they make chains for golf carts! Some people actually convert their cart with a plow in the front to push snow. :)

My cover is very cool and can be found by a search on golf cart covers, or at northern tool.
I also take along a small charger that has a cigarette lighter receptor where I plug in my cellphone as well as an invertor for my small ceramic heater. I am able to use this cart in South Dakota for 8 months out of the year I think. No doubt, in Arizona, should we retire here full time, I could use it all year round.

I'll upload some photos to a website I have and then add that link to this thread.

Ask any questions, happy to help. :)

These older carts are out there and I certainly encourage one to try them out. I love the freedom it's given me.

It's not so expensive to buy, cheap to run, and I'll certainly be able to sell mine for what I paid for each of them. The batteries require care as they are expensive. But, one can get batteries that have been reconditioned for as little as $15 each. What I save on my car expenses easily pays for these reconditoned batteries. If I were in one place permanently, then, I'd invest the $600 for new set of Trojan batteries that would last 6-8 years. So far, so good, though.

Did I say I do travel with a tow rope, though? :)

This would be perfect to get around my neighborhood, even old man would have a ball with it, I can just see him sneaking off to the corner bar! But then, of course, we'd have to do a few moderation's and up grades like this.....

LOL @ Birdy

Artist, I find it truly amazing that you could use your cart in the wintertime in South Dakota! That's really cool! :) But boy, oh boy, I would get COLD! That's just me though. :)

Birdy, you come up with the greatest pictures!

Meetz, they drive golfcarts all over the place in SW Indiana as well as those little electric/gas trucks (?). We own a small farm down around Washington and folks drive them out there as well as in Washington, Jasper and Montgomery and all the small villages in between. Can't remember if I've ever seen anything in Vincennes or Evansville though. It'd be something to ask the municipality about, lol.

Yes, I

think you're right Zoofemme. I do know that they're not allowed up here....and I've not seen any (except on golf courses) up in this area, and the surrounding area at all. Hmmmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom