Brief spells of "amnesia" anyone??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ouarezki

Pillar
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to discribe this but it's beginning to scare me!

I get this brief but very intense moments of foregetfullness and total amnesia of my sorroundings. Though i am competly aware of everything it seems frightening to "be" in this place and I wonder exactly where I am.

Something similar to "alzheimer's"...since it comes from the brain like my TLE and that is scaring me because that means that my TLE is deeper rooted and maybe not really the diagnosis they should have going for?! (I've only just recently been diagnosed)

*Have you ever woken up but not comepletly, like still haf asleep? So you're not really sure of your surroundings?? ....well that's how I feel. It just comes and it's so intense and i get scared.

What could this mean

** I've suffered from depersonalization for several years but now i'm cured from that and so this is different....

Yep very common for me.MRI showed scarring one doc thought small sensory stroke the other said just scaring proberly due to many years of smoking.I more or less written my life off looking for alzimer homes.
now I know feel better about it but memory things is very depressing I don't know what to advice cos I be first one doing it..I rely on husband use his brain.I write notes then forget where put them.Maybe someone else got better idea if they have I want to know I use it as well.
I think many on here have memory problems and get very depressed about it aswel not much comfort I know but you not be first or last to have similar but get some test done

"total amnesia of my surroundings" is very similar to my most frequent seizure. I see it as slowly taking a short step out of this world where I can see and hear things, but I do not know what it is I am seeing or hearing. When I come back usually in 3-5 minutes, my brain is worn out. Not bad as a gran mal, but certainly my second worst type of a seizure that takes a couple days to fully come back.

Hi Ouarezki,

This has happened to me many times, it almost sounds like an absence seizure which is a lot like amnesia. I've had this type of seizure for 45 yrs. if I may ask do you feel confused and tired after this happens? If you do you probably had an absence seizure. It could also be jamius vu which is a type of seizure but you are aware of what's going on around you but nothing looks familiar to you even if you are sitting in your own home. It last me for a couple of seconds and I have to concentrate really good and keep telling myself where I'm at and I tighten up the muscles in my body at the same time this helps stop the jamius vu. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

@ Seagul: You've pretty much gone through everything i've described haven't you?? The whole rack of symptoms !! The trouble with this sudden 'amnesia' is the fear it brings along.... do you get that too?....that is why i compare it to patients with alzheimers because they too have this fear when they lose their perception on sorroundings..

@cadsgj: I think it sound like an absence seizure fo you. In which area do your seizures come from? Is there any fear associated with the amnesia...?

@ Porkette: Yes like jamais vu or déja vu, but stronger, more intense in a way. I'm not sure if I feel tired afterwards but yes i definatly feel confused because i have trouble getting back to 'reality' if you must: though if you ask me any question i would answer it consciousy. I can definatly feel something change in my brain sort of switch you know???

Do you also get really frightened when it happens?

@ Seagul: You've pretty much gone through everything i've described haven't you?? The whole rack of symptoms !! The trouble with this sudden 'amnesia' is the fear it brings along.... do you get that too?....that is why i compare it to patients with alzheimers because they too have this fear when they lose their perception on sorroundings..

oh yes the terror that is awful.iT Comes over like I do but that bad writing because spelling so bad use half dozen words when one will do.No I had it easy compared to many on forum.i sometimes feel humbled complaing when others hhave it worse

Ouarezki, for me, the most seizures I have are complex partials and usually are left temporal lobe, on rare occasions gran mal (or whatever called these days.) Amnesia, no, not for me, I just leave this world, yet continue to see everything... just hear voices with jumble, or no real words, and I see everything yet know not what any of it is or even where I am. Fear? No, it comes slowish and takes a spell of time to come back.

Thinking about this, would one consider what I explained as amnesia :ponder:

Hi Ouarezki,

When I have the jamius vu I get more alert and try and concentrate on what's going on and where I'm at. When it first started I was a little nervous because I didn't know what was going on but after my Dr. explained it to me I didn't worry anymore. The next time this happens (if it does) get a wash cloth and put cold water on it then put it on your face and the back of your neck, this is called cold water therapy by doing this you are calming the neurons down in the brain it works well. I was in a medical study with this and they found before I had a seizure my temp. was a little higher but when the cold wash cloth went on my face it stopped many seizures. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Oh thank you guys for answering.... It was really hectic for me i just kept getting them and nobody really understands. TLE is just al so new for everyone and since my close ones have aloways known me to be diagnosed as a more of a 'psychological case' whenever i tak about my feelings or new "spells" i get the feeing they still think it's all psychological...don't you??

THANK YOU ALL for answering, it's been so hard and straining on my brain. I wish you guys luck and i'm here whenever you need me :)

Back
Top Bottom