broken heart

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My daughter Brandi had tonic clonic seizures. She went two years without any seizures and had just been granted to get her DL She had also just graduated from college. on july 17, 2011 she had a massive seizure in her sleep and died. this is the hardest thing i have ever been thru. before Brandi passed we had a conversations about the possibility of her passing from a seizure, i had explained my knowledge of her type of seizures and had her read the article from epilepsy.com. A few days later i had asked her if she understood what it meant and she did. I have found a little comfort in that conversation with her because I had asked her how she felt about what she read and she just laughed and said "well mom if it happens I won't know cause i'm sleeping when I have seizures". What most people don't know is there are alarms for beds to help prevent this sort of thing from happening and that people can and will die from them. None of her doctors ever warned us and that is my goal to help spread the word. Her bday is coming around very fast and even faster is the anniversary of her death. Brandi Hamblin mom misses you everyday! :e:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

I have no words to comfort the pain you must be in. I am so sorry for your loss. Our daughter who is 15 also has TC seizures. I find myself laying awake at night listening for any noise from her. When I hear no noise it worries me and I go check on her. when I hear noise I worry and go check on her.

I am grateful that you find some comfort from your conversation with her, and hope that you continue to find comfort. Thank you for sharing your story, as hard as it must have been to type the words out. Your Brandi will be in my thoughts this evening. <3

Brandi's mom, I am so very sorry to hear of this tragedy. I am so amazed and inspired by your strength and resolve to not only recover from this, but also to educate others and save lives. I read your post with no idea what I would find a few sentences along. I actually had to put the laptop down because it was so confronting.

I have epilepsy and I often feel unsafe going to bed. I really feel for my mum too. She just wants me to move back home (I'm 27) and keep an eye on me. In some ways, I would be safer back home because her bedroom is right next to my old room. However, I need to continue living my life. I live with friends, one of which works from home some of the time so generally, I'm never alone for long. I can cycle (on the good days) to uni or catch the train. The train station is only 5mins walk so it is a god send in terms of dealing with my epilepsy. I guess my point is that I have to put the fear aside and still live my life. It sounds like that's what your daughter did and I really admire her for that. I'm sure she is looking down on with not only gratitude, but also so much love for how you have handled everything. You'll see her again. Until then, stay strong and I pray that you will find happiness again and be able to celebrate your daughter's memory.

Thank you for being so thoughtful of others at such a difficult time.

Brandi's Mom,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, too, for your loss of your daughter at such a young age. Thank you for spreading the word about the seriousness of epilepsy.

As kaitybugsmom said, I have no words of comfort but I want to thank you for sharing. It must have taken some courage to join and share your painful story.
The information you posted is great too, thank you and please keep in touch...

Holding

Hi Brandis Mom this is Pinkk Panther in Heels I know everyday you try to keep a look that shows your happy its ok and I know your childs n Heaven and proud of all you've done don't be hard on you don't hide a part of you morning isn't for a year its for a life of the living missing the un living I lost my 3 year old the best way is to help those who needed and it will help you rise a little don't stop smiling and giving your experience people say I'm a great mom I see you r a great mom to:e:

Hi Brandi's Mom,

I am so sorry for your loss.

By you coming onto this site and telling of your loss, know that you are honoring your beloved daughter. She is proud of her mother!!! It is when people share --they may never know --how many people they help.

My prayers are with you as approach her birthday and the annv. of her death.

Brandis Mom,

I am so deeply sorry for the loss of your daughter.

I cannot thank you enough for reminding us all that seizures can and do kill and it is of utmost importance that this is openly discussed, but very few medical practioner’s talk about this to those diagnosed with E (and their loved ones). My Sons neurologist never did.

Because you have taken the time to share this very sad news, I am so sorry, you remind us all of the true danger of seizures, and you have reminded me to speak with my Son again about SUDEP (we have spoken and researched) again and check out the precautionary tools available. Thank you.

Brandi Hamblin is now carved in stone in my heart and I will pray for her, and peace of mind for you. A chill in my spine and tears in my eyes, I am so sorry for your loss.

Brandi's mom,

My condolences to you. I'm am truly sorry for such a tragedy.

The neurologists need to start speaking to their patients about this issue. Last summer in my community I met a mother who has started a fund-raiser because she lost her daughter to SUDEP, also. Her daughter was 16 and and a massive seizure in her sleep. The dr. never told them about SUDEP either. Now one of their goals is educating the public about it, along with raising $$ for seizure dogs for individuals with epilepsy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am so truly and deeply sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing your story.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Thank you all for your kind remarks! It is a daily struggle dealing my my wondering thoughts of her, feeling like I should have made her live with me or have done something more. I know they say time heals all wounds but it still feels like the day the paramedics told me over the phone. I still hear my sons hysterics when he found her. Any way I don't want to ramble this was meant to say thanks to all!!!

Brandi's mom

I am so deeply saddened for your loss. I am so sorry.

If you had made Brandi live with you, she would not have lived her life. And because you let her go she did live her life, was cut way, way to short; but she did at least live it to the fullest (she accomplished so much). I am sure you are so proud of her.

I want you to know that because you took the time to share and remind us, I have openly spoken to my Son and his girlfriend extensively on SUDEP, thank you. We must be prepared and by that I mean a reminder to be honest at all times when it comes to E, and with that thought, express our love for each other. Thank you.

Brandi and you have been in my prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss. I appreciate your willingness to share your story and educate others.

Take care.

I am so sorry for your loss.
I know you would much rather have your daughter with you but everyone's lives, short or long, have a purpose and meaning. Thank you for sharing her special existence with us. I'm sure she's smiling down on you right now.

Back
Top Bottom