Butternut Squash Soup

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
My favorite soup recipe lately has been using Butternut Squash. They are abundant in the markets at this time (Jan - Feb)

I take a whole onion and dice it up. Cook it using some coconut oil slowly while I cut off the skin/rind/ of the squash. This isn't easy, but worth the effort.
Throw it away, along with the seeds and pulp. Take the flesh and cut into large cubes. Put it in with the onion.

Take about 5 carrots and peel and cut off the ends. cut into 1 inch pieces and put them in the pot too. Let it all cook up a bit, without burning.

Put in homemade or organic chicken broth. Enough to cover, and then some.
Let it cook until everything is soft. Salt and pepper.

Put cup full of veggies with broth into a blender. Make sure that the heat wont melt the unit. You might need to cool the mix down before you blend it. I have a high power unit that can handle it. Puree all of the veggies.

Put into bowls and enjoy!

Yummmmmmy! Sounds like a good project for this weekend. I'll make some for the freezer :)

lol... my soup recipie is much less sophisticated. I don't cook much anymore, but ministrone soup is a staple at my house.

1. Determine it is saturday morning. Determine this weekly.
2. Clean out the refrigerator, chop up the things that need to be eaten now.
3. Throw it all in a huge pot
4. Add a giant can of tomato juice
5. Add about a handful of peeled garlic cloves
6. Season with whatever
7. Put it on really low heat on the back burner and simmer it all day
8. Add a little quinoa, or macaroni, or rice, or whatever. Also add a can of white beans. Simmer a little more
9. Eat it

Yum!

I love some diced up butternut squash in a "kitchen sink" vegetable soup.

I do something similar...but I add curry (YUM!) and garnish with bacon bits, chives and
a blob of sour cream.

@Bernard - I love kitchen sink soup. A special doctor that helped me figure out my migraines, suggested root veggie soups before my meals. I have been better about having soup in the fridge, but I need to begin to make it weekly.

@hootie (I almost typed hottie :D)
I have started to like curry, but the sour cream does not comply with the GARD approach or no casein. There might be a goat or sheep alternative, but I have not researched it yet.

Well darn, there is a soy-based "sour cream," but that isn't allowed either. I've started going gluten free, and the gard diet is of interest to me, but I don't quite know how I'd do it as a vegetarian.

lol... Camel milk is available in some areas in the U.S. It is targeted towards our middle eastern residents, but could be helpful for some diets, too. But it looks like that's out, too.

Q. What is casein exactly?
A. Casein is the protein found in all mammals’ milk. Mammals include cow, goat, sheep, yak, buffalo, camel and humans. This includes human breast milk....

http://www.tacanow.org/family-resources/what-is-casein/

You can skip the sour cream...that is how my kids eat it since they can not have dairy. The bacon makes it awesome (dosen't everything taste better with bacon?????)!

I love squash soup - I make it easier on myself, and tastier, by roasting the unpeeled squash, chunked, until tender (usually with a head of garlic) and then pureeing the roasted squash (the peel just slips off when roasted) with an olive-oil sauteed mirepoix of veg and some stock. Seasoning depends on my mood - might use curry (always sauteed with the mirepoix of course), might do something Moroccan or maybe just loads of black pepper, some herbs and salt.

Last edited:
Mmmmm

Nikkal, you and I would get along well in the kitchen :)

Well darn, there is a soy-based "sour cream," but that isn't allowed either. I've started going gluten free, and the gard diet is of interest to me, but I don't quite know how I'd do it as a vegetarian.

lol... Camel milk is available in some areas in the U.S. It is targeted towards our middle eastern residents, but could be helpful for some diets, too. But it looks like that's out, too.

Sounds like you need some coconut cream. Great for making cream of <whatever vegetable>soup.

Back
Top Bottom