Calcium-magnesium supplement

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It says elemental magnesium and elemental calcium. Does that say anything to you?

EDIT: okay, I thought after posting this that of course they're elemental, since they're elements! So I looked the ingredients up online, they are:

Elemental magnesium (gluconate and citrate) ... 186 mg
Elemental calcium (gluconate and lactate) ... 155 mg
Elemental zinc (citrate) ... 3.5 mg
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) ... 204 I.U.

That isn't a very large amount of magnesium, however:

Magnesium citrate is a chemical agent used medicinally as a saline laxative
Magnesium gluconate is absorbed more quickly than other forms. And you don't have to take quite as much, since the amount of magnesium per capsule that your body can use is higher.
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/10/7.cfm
A bit odd to me that they would include one that is a laxative and the other that is more absorbable.

As a general rule, you need about six milligrams of magnesium for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. That means that if you weigh 150 pounds, you should be getting about 400 milligrams a day. If you develop diarrhea, simply take your magnesium in divided doses throughout the day, or reduce the dose by 20 to 25 percent until normal soft bowel movements return, says Dr. Mansmann.

For calcium absorption you might include Vitamin D.

However, this is one reason that I like to take a supplement that is not combined with another. It is easier to eliminate one and see if there is a positive difference.

That is odd they'd include a magnesium laxative. Maybe they want us to be regular so we assume that means it's working? That seems to be the selling point of yogurt these days.

I believe the added probiotic in yogurt is to replace the good bacteria that is killed off by the poor diets that we tend to have. Many also have taken multiple rounds of antibiotics over a lifetime, and this kills all bacteria. We need the good to balance it out.

I believe the added probiotic in yogurt is to replace the good bacteria that is killed off by the poor diets that we tend to have. Many also have taken multiple rounds of antibiotics over a lifetime, and this kills all bacteria. We need the good to balance it out.

ScienceDaily (Oct. 31, 2011) — In four different studies presented at the American College of Gastroenterology's (ACG) 76th Annual Scientific meeting in Washington, DC, researchers explored the effectiveness of probiotics for antibiotic-associated diarrhea; as an anti-inflammatory agent for patients with ulcerative colitis, psoriasis and chronic fatigue syndrome; and for people with abdominal discomfort and bloating who have not been diagnosed with a functional bowel disorder, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

Probiotics Effective in Combating Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea, Studies Find; 'Good Bugs' Look Promising as Anti-Inflammatory Agents

Back
Top Bottom