Can public schools refuse to transport a child with E?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Brain said it best - "Where's the aide?" Also as Skillefer pointed out, the threat of a lawsuit is a big motivator to make the school district comply. I also agree with Eric - that the drivers should ALL be trained to know handle such special needs children!

I am happy that things worked out well. I still think it is a little much to have the school nurse ride along in the bus. I can see if the child had severe multiple seizures a day- but usually they don't require a nurse to attend. There is a special needs bus that does transport students with all sorts of disabilities to school and back home each day.
They do have aids on the bus that usualy have first aide training. I know when I rode the bus, my aide did have training- I think I was lucky though since she had a son with Epilepsy.

Anyway- I didn't think it was possible for a school staff to leave her car at your house. Normally- thats not really allowed.. but you never know I guess.

Please, both of you take care.
Crystal

:e:

Hi Aidan's Family,

Great to hear that it got sorted. Personally, I think your son should be able to ride the special needs' bus without having to have the need of the school nurse - just like all the other students (don't need to have school nurse with them to ride the bus). And personally if I was them I would want to have a school nurse/nurse on board the bus for the all the kids on respirators!!! spelled correctly?

Personally I think that their health is much worser then that of your little boy thus they have the greater need for the school nurse/nurse!!! After all what happens with the respirator stops working and the kid stops breathing??? I am hoping that they get to know your child soon so your son doesn't need to have the school nurse with him as I think he should be treated just like every other child who rides the bus!!!

Susan

Miss Choccy

:e:

Last edited:
:clap: Hooray for Aidan. Now after all that trouble, I hope he doesn't refuse to ride the bus! :noevil:

Back
Top Bottom