Can we donate blood while on seizure meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
The Fort Hood tragedy has me wondering if my blood is safe to donate.

Does anyone know?

This Army base is just a few hours from me and has really hit home. Praying for all the families affected today. :cry:

I used to give blood all the time. After I went on seizure meds I asked my neurologist if I still could and she said no.

I used to live in Fort Hood and Kileen. My first seizure diagnosis was in Darnel Hospital on that base. I can't believe such a crisis has happened. My step father was in Fort Hood fixing helicopters when I was little and we used to go on post to visit. We used to go to the PX alot and also to the MP office to visit with friends of his.

I can remember moving into the Austin area and getting a civilian doctor for the first time. i asked "Why are you not in dress greens?" But it was because it was not a military doctor- hehe. I was used to seeing all staff and doctors in military dress greens or BDUs.

I hope and pray for all of those involved in this crisis today.

Seems to be a toss up. My last seizure was Aug 21, so technically it hasn't been 3 months yet. Guess I need to give them a call 1st and see what they say.

Thanks. :)

It has been a long time, but I was told not to donate while on dilantin. I would doubt that anyone on an AED should donate. The meds stay in our bodies too long.

:e:Ft Hood:e:

Robin, you came to mind today because I couldn't remember where your son was located.

I couldn't find anything on Red Cross' site about seizures meds, I would check with your doctor.
I had hepatitis as a child and was told I could never give blood. About 10 years ago, I was told it had change and I was now able to give blood. I was really excited and after I gave...I passed out cold and had to go to hospital. I have been leary since then, but always felt so guilty as I have a fairly uncommon blood and know they could use it. But with all the infections I had in my accident in 2006, I was told I should not give blood. I hadn't even considered not being able to because of E.
Cathy, I know being so close to this tragedy makes me want to do something too. Added to that, I am a military brat with a lot of my extended family is also military. I am just devasted by this tragedy. Right now, I am doing a lot of praying.

I don't know about the US, but here in the UK, you are NOT allowed to donate blood if you are on ANY anti-seizure medication, OR if you have had a seizure after the age of 5. For some reason, a lot of the "YOU CAN'T DO's" in the UK are if you have had even one seizure since you were 5. I think it's something to do with the fact that young children can have 'febrile seizures' when they have a very high temperature, without having epilepsy.

Being from a UK military town, my thoughts are with those in Fort Hood, and all their loved ones.

I know in the UK you are not allowed to give blood if on meds for seizures and my hubbie isn't allowd to give blood due to epilepsy being genetic. He hates this rule as he has never had a seizure and never been on anti-seizure meds. You also can't give blood if you are taking thing that has a steriod count in it. Something to do with it contaminates your blood and can't be filtered out so beens it can't be used incase the person receiving your blood reacts badly tot he contaminants. Not sure if that makes sence. My hubbie wants to donate blood as he has family that are involved in the the training and stuff in afgan and other areas were british troops are and he wants to be able to do something for them that could save there life. We have just raised £500 for the red-poppy appeal which is our best so far. We do this every year because of our family history with all of the military forces.

I tried to donate my plasma last week and was refused because of being on Dilantin. The nurse told me that I had to be off my medication and seizure free for 5 years before I could donate. She said donating could mess up the medication levels in my blood, plus after doing some research, I read that donating blood could increase seizure risk in people prone to having them.

Ok , the situation is different for everyone. if you've had a recent seizure , it's not a good idea to donate blood (recent implies anything in the last 6-8 months). if you're seizure free for a long time (>2-3yrs) on stable med dosage it's considered ok (at least here) - but the laws in your country may prevent you from donating. i have donated blood on several occasions. The problems that can arise are an increase in seizure threshold due to a lowering of blood levels ofyour AED. so you're more likely to seize if you donate blood , but again this varies.
I don't know of any adverse effects to the recipient from receiving blood from an epileptic , since most of the blood donated is converted to PRBCs (packed red blood cells). The only thing to have traces of AED in it is Fresh frozen plasma that is made from your blood , but even that should (usually) contain insignificant amounts of AEDs to make a difference.
Given the wide range of laws regarding donation , i think it best if you guys check up with your GPs to find out if it's safe.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, Ive decied to skip it. I hate needles anyway.

My daughter works for the Red Cross at blood donations. she went to the head honchos for me a while ago and they told her that it is because of the chance of having a seizure. Evidently the shock of just a pint of blood is enough to tip the scales in favor of a seizure happening. Plus, the med levels change, which is enough for some people to bring on a seizure. They are generally not equipped to handle major medical happenings like that at their donation centers. I can't even have a tooth pulled without medical backup standing by at my clinic. That's the reason they gave me from the PA office of the Red Cross. Hope this helps clarify.
I was very upset too, that I couldn't donate anymore. Especially since my daughter needed blood when she delivered her son. She needed 3 pints and I couldn't help. Ironically, she received one of the pints that she actually collected at a blood drive. Everyone else in our family donates like clockwork, or they have her to answer to.

My daughter works for the Red Cross at blood donations. she went to the head honchos for me a while ago and they told her that it is because of the chance of having a seizure. Evidently the shock of just a pint of blood is enough to tip the scales in favor of a seizure happening. Plus, the med levels change, which is enough for some people to bring on a seizure. They are generally not equipped to handle major medical happenings like that at their donation centers. I can't even have a tooth pulled without medical backup standing by at my clinic. That's the reason they gave me from the PA office of the Red Cross. Hope this helps clarify.
I was very upset too, that I couldn't donate anymore. Especially since my daughter needed blood when she delivered her son. She needed 3 pints and I couldn't help. Ironically, she received one of the pints that she actually collected at a blood drive. Everyone else in our family donates like clockwork, or they have her to answer to.

That makes me wonder if we can be organ doners, no worry about a seizure then...:roflmao:

I liked that one Cathy. Seems like morbid humor is not so morbid for us, eh? Except, my liver is probably shot, kidneys are too. Eyes might be OK, but I sure won't be a fountain of gifts after I die. I still am designated an organ donor on my drivers license. Should I also have that changed. Talk about a can of worms, this leads to all kinds of questions.

Morbid, yes, but a great question. Having brain meds in the system is not a restriction for being an organ donor, especially because so many different organs can potentially be harvested, including skin and eyes (even if you're blind!), and parts of organs (like heart valves). An evaluation is made based on the condition of individual organs -- i.e., a smoker's lungs might not be optimal, but perhaps their corneas would be.

I know my aunt has Parkinsons and has made arrangements with medical school that specializes with it to donate her body for research after her death. I was thinking I should do the same

I'm debating

the same thing. Heaven knows my body could yield some interesting things...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I donated blood three times when I was on Carbatrol.

If you are thinking about donating your body to science, you should definitely check out the book 'Stiff' by Mary Roach.

Back
Top Bottom