Cat attacks with seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

XxBlaqkxX

Stalwart
Reaction score
Probably a weird topic, but I think my cat might attack me when I'm having seizures in my sleep. Does this happen to anyone else?

It's no secret that animals can be sensitive to such things, but I truly think it must bother my cat. Now, this cat is normally friendly to me.

I think it's possible because one night I was sure I had some seizures in my sleep and the next day, my scalp felt a bit itchy. I kept finding these dried beads of blood on different spots. There is nothing sharp or even close that I could've scratched myself on (no headboard, nothing in the bed, etc). I don't believe my own nails would've been so precise. The only thing I can think of is the cat attacked my head when I was having a seizure.

Last night, I was feeling quite off and was super tired. I pressed through chores, took naps between laundry loads, etc. the cat brushed against my feet, came up to sniff my face, and then decided to curl up next to me. When I finally got to sleep, my husband was worried and stayed up to watch from nearby in case. He heard the cat hiss and looked over and she was looking at me and hissed some more. My husband saw my hands and feet tensed up and my body looked rather stiff. He believed I did have a seizure.

Today I've been running on fumes because I didn't get good quality sleep again. Tonight, my scalp is itchy because I'm sure I'm having an allergic reaction to something I probably came across at a meeting tonight (food was brought, I didn't eat - but sometimes with certain food items, come across them on a door handle or a hug is enough), but I notice some extremely sore spots and places that feel like scratches. I also have what looks like a cat scratch on my foot. So, I think she may have....

It's frustrating o_O not sure what to do to stop this. Don't think I'm able unless I keep the cat out of the room at night or something, which I hate to do.

Pets can often sense when something’s off, even if they aren't trained as companion animals. I wonder if your cat is confused or scared when you're seizing and is reacting accordingly. But yeah, it would be no fun to exile the cat. :(

Pets can often sense when something’s off, even if they aren't trained as companion animals. I wonder if your cat is confused or scared when you're seizing and is reacting accordingly. But yeah, it would be no fun to exile the cat. :(
I agree with this.

Does your husband sleep in the same bed with you? My ex and I didn't because our sleep schedules were different. If he does can he tell when you are having a seizure?

One of my cats would lay on me when I was having a seizure and didn't get off until I think he felt it was ok. He was a pretty big boy too and it wasn't easy to move with him on me.

I think I would put the cat in a kennel or outside the room just before I went to sleep. Safest way to go.

I've definitely noticed this for sure. Animals can for sure sense the difference.

I remember having tremors in a meeting at someone's house in my hands and arms that I was having a hard time keeping control of. Their dog kept nudging me and wanted my hand on top of them. It was sweet and I figured that they approached me because they knew something was wrong.

I figure I probably spook my cat when that happens. After seizures, though, she tends to stay close. When I'm sick, she is nearby.

I guess my fear is if she gets scared enough and attacks my eyes or something...but so far it only seems like my head or feet.

I agree with this.

Does your husband sleep in the same bed with you? My ex and I didn't because our sleep schedules were different. If he does can he tell when you are having a seizure?

One of my cats would lay on me when I was having a seizure and didn't get off until I think he felt it was ok. He was a pretty big boy too and it wasn't easy to move with him on me.
My husband is a deep sleeper. When he's asleep, he sleeps.

My seizures don't usually wake him up whether he's in the room or not.

That past night where the cat hissed at me, my husband didn't get much sleep and stayed up most of the time in case and he was sure I had a seizure in my sleep the way I acted and how dizzy I was when later I tried to get up.

If I'm feeling weird, my husband usually doesn't sleep, but sometimes I go to bed fine and then a seizure happens.

I think I would put the cat in a kennel or outside the room just before I went to sleep. Safest way to go.
Probably, although I don't think she'd willingly stay in a kennel all night. I would think she'd start meowing and it'd wake the neighbors.

I don't close my bedroom door because of the kids.

Back
Top Bottom