Catamenial

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It seems like neurologists always want to add more meds, doesn't it? They have great faith in them. But there are plenty of instances where AEDs make seizures worse, and it's very possible that this is one of them.

I think there's no harm -- and possibly real benefit -- if your daughter slowly tapers off of the Lamictal to see how she feels. (Don't have her go cold turkey). If she feels better and has fewer seizures off the Lamictal, then you'll be able to rule that med out for sure. This will also give the progesterone a chance to work without the Lamictal potentially interfering with it. Again, this will give you a chance to evaluate if the progesterone is working. Finally, if neither does the trick, then you can consider another, different med.

The tricky part is making sure your daughter is safe while she is transitioning off the Lamictal -- transition times seem to be especially de-stabilizing for the brain, and there can be side effects caused during the withdrawal process. If you can, you and your daughter should keep detailed notes during these processes to try and figure out what works and what doesn't.

i think my seizures are around when i have my seizures, rest of the month i am fine. i was told by my neuroligist about hormone replacement therapy has anyone heard of this if so is it any good? i have heard it causes hair loss is this true? i already suffer hair loss with this horrid keppra.

bioidentical hormone replacement (not synthetic) does not cause hair loss. My daughter is on her second month of progesterone cream and has not had any seizure like feelings while on the cream. In a few days we will see what happens as we lower her dose of prgesterone to that she will have her period.

I have just read on google that hrt can cause hair loss and early menoupause. Im just paniking as this keppra is causing my hair to fall out as it is. So the hrt off doc def dnt makeya hair fall out?

I have just read on google that hrt can cause hair loss and early menoupause. Im just paniking as this keppra is causing my hair to fall out as it is. So the hrt off doc def dnt makeya hair fall out?

Remember you or I could post whatever we want on Google, that doesn't make what we say true (even if we think it is). Just keep in mind that google has very good as well as very bad & even false information on it.

It is important that you know who is posting something & research what their qualifications are and if those qualifications are in conjunction with their claims. If there is no mention of who posts medical information I would be reluctant to trust it.

Last edited:
Yes epileric you are so right. Majority of ppl on here have said it makes ya hair grow back and not fall out. But im going to talk to my neuroligist next week about it and im going to ask questiond. All i can do is wait and see i guess.

Yes epileric you are so right. Majority of ppl on here have said it makes ya hair grow back and not fall out. But im going to talk to my neuroligist next week about it and im going to ask questiond. All i can do is wait and see i guess.

:tup: Best idea in my opinion. Let us know how it turns out. Also, if your memory is like mine was when I was on Keppra, bring a list with your questions. Even when not on Keppra I always forget at least 1 question if I don't bring the list.

bioidentical hormone replacement (not synthetic) does not cause hair loss. My daughter is on her second month of progesterone cream and has not had any seizure like feelings while on the cream. In a few days we will see what happens as we lower her dose of prgesterone to that she will have her period.

Diane, my daughter did this treatment too. Don't give up. Give the body time to adjust. I believe changing diet to help balance hormones has been helpful for my daughter as well. Reducing sugar has been helpful too. However my daughter is now on a birth control pill, that is designed to balance progesterone levels. She is seizure free for 10+ months, and has not been medicated in 3.5+ yrs

Hi Robin, thanks for the information. Just curious about the birth control your daughter is on. I was under the impression that birth control puts you in a higher estrogen state. Therefore, progesterone which is considered anti seizure would not be high enough to protect against seizures. Please let me know about this. So happy that your daughter is doing so well!

Thanx epileric. I will let yaknow. Yeah got my list of questions to take. Robin so this hrt thing sctually worjs?

Hi Robin, thanks for the information. Just curious about the birth control your daughter is on. I was under the impression that birth control puts you in a higher estrogen state. Therefore, progesterone which is considered anti seizure would not be high enough to protect against seizures. Please let me know about this. So happy that your daughter is doing so well!

Yes I was concerned when we discussed the possibility, however she saw a nurse practitioner that seems to be current on this info, and suggested this one, for women that are prone to seizures.

It is called : Quasense

Hi Robin, my family doctor suggested a birth control that sounds similiar, in that you only get 3-4 periods a year. It is called Seasonale. We chose to try the bioidentical progesterone. What was your daughters experience on the progesterone (cream or prometrium pills)

You said that she has been off her meds for 3.5 years plus, was she having many seizures during this time? And what kind. I would love to talk to you sometime.

I see she was using neuro feedback, I will look into this. Thanks

Hi Diane - I just now saw this post, my apologies. You are always welcome to PM me if you have any question.

My daughter was using a bio-identical progesterone cream, which was a prescription. It had to be formulated by a special pharmacy. It seemed to help some with the seizures occurring near her period. However there was a connection to nutritional needs, so we had to address that before we began to see lasting results.

She had 50+ tonic clonic seizures over a period of about 3-4 yrs. Once I made the connection to reactive hypoglycemia, it helped with seizure control, and also severe PMS symptoms each month.

Yes she also had neurofeedback therapy over the course of a year. I do believe that this would not have been helpful had we not started the nutritional changes too. In fact the clinician discussed dietary changes on our first meeting.

Contact me if you have other questions and I will make a good attempt to answer them.

What a relief it must be for you to finally have an official diagnosis. Will you be treated with progesterone as a result?

What's the family history that would preclude progesterone? (If you don't mind me asking).

Back
Top Bottom