Changes in seizure patterns

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
My wife's seizure patterns have included (in order from when I met her):
  • 1 TC every 2 years with daily absence seizures
  • Seizure free and med free for 4 years
  • 1 TC sporadically (every month or so) with atonic (drop attacks) and myoclonic (jerk) seizures a couple times a week
  • 1 TC per week with atonic (drop attacks) and myoclonic (jerk) seizures almost daily
  • TC seizures singly or in status clusters on a sporadic basis with myoclonic jerks or CPS several times a week (no more atonic seizures)
  • TC status clusters around menstruation time (monthly or bi-monthly) with myoclonic jerks or CPS a couple of times a week (mostly in the week preceding menstruation)
Changes in seizure patterns occurred with changes in treatments and with pregnancies.

I was reflecting on this the other day and thought that if Stacy had seen a new neurologist at different points over the last decade or so, she would likely have been given completely different diagnoses.

You can also get different diagnosis with different neruologists, too. One EEG I had, two different neuros came to very different conclusions. :ponder: One saw temporal spikes, the other said it was normal!

Go figure.:giveup:

I have seen that just in the short year we have been dealing with this.
I have read where some AED's can actually cause more seizures rather than less.
We also lost about 6 months of treatment due to the wrong diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom