Changing medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi i am currently on 400mg lamotrogen per day it has helped my tonic clonic seizures havent had one since xmas eve and that was 3 of them xmas day was a blur i still have myclonic jerks every couple weeks my neurologist want to try me on sodium vioprate i think is name of them i know here in uk theyve had bad media coverage for people having kids thag isnt a worry for me as i cant have children of my own.
Anyone else on them and can tell me side effects?
I worried as i have a history of depression and do not want it returning as ive worked hard to get away from those feeling and have attempted suicide in past aswell.

Hi Laura,

I took this med for yrs. and it worked great controlling my absence seizures but I will tell you that you have to have blood tests done to watch your liver and the drug can cause a person to lose weight. I lost 70 lbs. in 4 months while I was on the drug and I would still eat 3 meals a day along with snacks but the med burnt off the calories like crazy. Also you can't take aspirin while on this drug and I will say the drug gave me more energy than other seizure meds and I felt much happier. I had to go off the drug because my blood platelet level went so low my Dr. thought I was bleeding inside but I was fine. Take my word this drug worked great for me. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Well opposite of how lamotrogen makes me feel so tired sometimes i just want to sleep all night and day the least thing makes me tired like a 45 min walk with dog.
The weight thing is a concern as i only weigh 112 ibs
I dont put weight on very easily already had throids tested a d was clear as i am a strange eater i go through weeks eating and eating then i can just eat a dinner and that is it by oh keeps a close eye on my weight and eating habits as i had bulumia which i got help for due to not wanting my step daughter growing up and seeing that and thinking its normal to do that and teaching her real beauty is in the inside not how you look.
Lamotrogen has made my hair fall out aswell not alot but more than it should always blocking plughole. me and oh joke about it to lighten up he says his meals woulnt be same without my hair in it lol.
I dont take asprin i get cocodomal prescribed to me for an old shoulder injury that has not healed not seizure related but i dislocated shoulder falling out bed after seizure made it worse.
I dont mind getting bloods done if have to but not keen on needles but who is lol. if it stops jerks then id be happy as people look at me like im crazy when i have them ie shop workers bus drivers it has really affected my confidence that ill not get bus into town anymore.ive to make an appointment to see my dr to wean me off lamotrogen and start new ones but its like a 2 3 week waiting time for an appointment with my doctor. I will update when i start them and will keep an eye on my weight but hopefully no problems. Will update you on progress. :e:

Hi Laura,
I wish you the best of luck on the new med. Make sure the Dr. puts you on it slowly and if you need to either increase or decrease the dosage you are on make sure the Dr. slowly lowers or increases the dosage this is very important to do or you will possibly have seizures and I don't want that to happen to you. I will tell you the drug can thin your hair it made my hair come out a lot but it doesn't effect everyone that way. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Laura --

Lamotrigine and Valproate are often first choices to treat myoclonic jerks (assuming no plans to get pregnant). Sometimes Lamotrigine can make myoclonic seizures worse, so make sure you've ruled that out as a contributing factor.

Below is a link to some CWE threads about Valproate:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/valproate.html

Good luck!

I, like you, have myoclonic jerks. I've had dozens a day, literally.

I've been on Depakote for a while now, about a year at least. I was also on Depakote as a kid for I don't know how long before I was taken off because one of my neurologists considered my seizures "not serious enough" and decided I should have a normal life and learn to drive, etc. (until I started having tonic clonics of course).

Depakote made me GAIN weight, about 50 pounds. I was hovering around 200lbs before I was put on Topamax in combination with the Depakote and I dropped about 25 pounds to where I am now. I've never weighed so much in my life, nor did I ever eat so much. I couldn't wait to eat lunch everyday. Otherwise Depakote has been mild as far as side effects.

Now the Topamax, on the other hand...

Lamotrigine made my seizures worse, but no side effects otherwise.

Hi! I would like to know how you're doing. I've been diagnosed recently, and I'm pretty nervous.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. It's essential to understand the side effects of any medication you may be prescribed for your epilepsy. Some common antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) include carbamazepine, phenytoin, valproic acid, and lamotrigine. Possible side effects of these medications may include drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, headaches, and changes in appetite or weight. If you need a cheaper medicine option, I suggest https://www.pillpal.to/asthma-1807. Hope it helps

Hello. I take 500MG Zonisamide & 200MG Xcopri for the simple & complex partial seizures I get. I've taken every AED out there that I can. I was allergic to many, and those that work have only kept me truly seizure-free for a few months--then the breakthroughs would begin. With this combo, I'm down to averaging about 1 complex partial/month--it was 3+.

Back
Top Bottom