coffee? which is best?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to say that I am 44.75 years old and just learned that i do not like dark 'french roast' coffee. a lighter roast (hence more caffeine) is way preferable. Is this a result of tastes changing from meds? Lamectal messing with my brain and tastes? anyone else seen something like this?

Which Has More Caffeine: Light or Dark Roast Coffee?

Which coffee has more caffeine? Here’s the abbreviated answer: It depends.

Let’s dispel the most common myth right off the bat: A dark-roast bean contains more caffeine than a light-roast bean due to its stronger flavor. Not true. Actually, the caffeine content in both is virtually the same. An opposing view held by many is that the darker the roast level, the lower a bean’s caffeine since much of it is lost or "burned off" during roasting. Yet caffeine changes very little during a roast. Any significant variation would require a roasting temperature above 600°F. Since temperatures rarely exceed 470°F, a bean’s caffeine remains relatively static across all roast levels.

But wait. Even though a bean’s caffeine content changes little during roasting, a bean’s caffeine per volume and per weight is altered considerably—not because the caffeine changes but because the size and the weight of the beans change. The longer a bean is held in the roaster, the darker in color, lighter in weight, and larger in size it becomes. ...

:cheers:

But wait, i have heard that the darker the roast the less caffeine effect. And i found this to affect me just this way. My new French roast made me nap 2 hours every day (which i never ever do accept if i try to quit coffee altogether) but as soon as i mixed in the lighter roast i got energized! woohoo! i am GOING now.
PS. it is always a really good, fair trade, organic, stuff. quality roasting i trust.

My stimulant of choice is Crio Bru. It is roasted ground cocoa nibs so it gets you the theobromine buzz without the caffeine.
Teechino is also good. It is roasted dandelion roots. Not coffee but very tasty and actually good for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom