Cognitive Assessment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bobbi

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well I went to see a new neurologist and I will be starting Lamotirigine this weekend. 25 mg with gradual increase up to 100 mg then decrease keppra (3000 mg to 2000 mg daily). I have tinnitus since I started the keppra too. :(

In June I will be going for a Cognitive Assessment test using Neurotrax. Has anyone experienced this test? I don't trust my memory but some days my memory is better than my husbands...so I'm not sure if it's just old age, Epilepsy or meds.

Comments welcomed!

My understanding of this test battery is that it does not yet have the scientific/research support that some of the older and more commonly used test batteries have. That doesn't mean it won't have a very valid role in formal cognitive assessments one day, but right now no strong conclusions can be made about someone's performance as compared to a normative group, or compared to a particular impaired group (ex. patients with lesions in a particular area of the brain). However, there is possibly a role with this test battery when comparing a particular individual's performance over time.
I hope you will keep us informed of your experience!

I talked with my neuro about my cognitive function and he said mine weren't affected by my meds.

Well I did the Neurotrax exam last week and I had looked it up online prior to the test. It took about 45 mins for me and was a series of easy questions on a computer. Identify colors, in shapes then in words etc. Identify images then words that rhyme with the objects. Part was like an old Atari game but when it went to fast I missed a few. I see my doctor again in August so I prob wont get the results till then but since I work on computers daily and I am graphically inclined I think they will tell me my memory is normal....we'll see. I will keep you updated.
http://www.neurotrax.com/HowItWorks

Wow has it been that long since I was on this forum? I can't keep up.I have been busy and haven't had the chance to update.
My cognitive test results were average or above avg, however my memory is still weak. The doctors say I am fine with cognitive. However my latest EEG has changed. The latest 24 hour ambulatory says "focal parenchymal abnormalities that are in the temporal regions that are potentially epileptogenic as well as generalised epileptiform abnormalities." Prior to this test it has always just been generalised. I am now also using a cpap machine for mild apnea and oxygen desaturation. Boy, it's no fun getting old!

Thanks for the update Bobbi. Your EEG mentions potentially epileptogenic -- which means you might not be actually having focal seizures, but be vulnerable to them. My EEGs have always shown some focal epileptogenic activity, but I've never had a focal seizure.

I hope you can get the mild apnea under control -- as you probably know, there seems to be a link between apnea and nocturnal seizures.

-- as you probably know, there seems to be a link between apnea and nocturnal seizures.

I am in denial again as my apnea was a 6 and normal is 5. My oxygen levels went down to 81% during my first sleep test. I have read (but not official report) that lamictal could do this too. :(

Interesting! I didn't know that Lamictal could have that effect. I'm on Lamictal and haven't noticed any sleep/oxygen issues, though I've never been tested either.

Interesting! I didn't know that Lamictal could have that effect. I'm on Lamictal and haven't noticed any sleep/oxygen issues, though I've never been tested either.

I didn't know either till I had the sleep study - then since i was more oxygen deprived than apnea I started researching. I haven't found any official studies yet though. I'll keep looking since they want me to increase lamictal and decrease keppra.
I'll have to research both medications and see what other reasons there could be. I don't think my very mild sleep apnea could be the cause of low oxygen

Last edited:

Hello - it's been a while...
I requested a few months ago to have another oxygen test and doc agreed and I did it overnight at home. The test was good and the doctor reviewed all of the tests including the 1st sleep study! Well, someone messed up. They told me my O2 was fine and I no longer required to use the CPAP! Now that pissed me off.

Also after I increased my lamictal in the morning by 25 mg I had odd side effects (headache, nausea & vomiting) so I asked my doctor about it and she said they are not side effects. I asked are you sure? which she replied yes. These are all listed on the medical documentation that comes with the medication! I have my doubts with these docs but will not change yet since most of them have been about the same. Have a follow up next week, hopefully I can reduce the keppra by one pill.

I have another question but I will post it elsewhere regarding blood test results.

Back
Top Bottom