cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Claire7

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have just started CBT to try and deal with my anxiety. I have always suffered with anxiety, worry and stress which has only got worse since my seizure last July.

We talked today about the 2 episodes I have had which have been 4 years apart. The first one was in 2008 when I was pregnant. A cause was found for that one and I tried to move on.
As I have always been such a worrier, its always been at the back of my mind but generally I haven't thought too much about it as it was so long ago.

I had been dealing with sooooo much stress in the couple of months leading to the episode in July including deciding to take on a 2nd job working for the ambulance service taking out of hours calls. When I applied, I declared what happened in 2008 on my medical form and their occupational health dept rang me as they wanted to discuss it.
It then went to the forefront of my mind bringing back distressing and scary memories as I was thinking about it a lot.
When I started the job a couple of weeks later it brought up even more memories seeing the paramedics and ambulances everywhere. I started to get panicky thinking about what happened back then. I suppose I felt scared of the past.
I only ever did end up doing that first evening there which was 3 hours long! During that first training session and looking at the computer system I kept focussing on the button that said 'fit' as I knew that that would have to be pressed if someone called up needing medical help for that reason. So as you can see it was on my mind quite a lot that evening. I got home at 9.30pm, went to bed at about 11pm and then woke up at 12.30am to my husband saying the paramedics are on their way as I had had a seizure.

I don't think I was partularly confused. I think I was more in shock that night. My heart was racing, I was sweating so much that my husband had to open the window. I suppose I was also lucky that I had no incontinence, no muscle soreness and only a minor tongue bite.

It is just so strange that I hadn't thought about that first seizure much for so long and when it re-surfaces itself in my mind, I had another one!

I know its probably just a coincidence but thought I would get my thoughts down on 'paper' so to speak!

Actually, with the fear you already had - it was a very a confrontational course for you. The brain is so complex.

Good for you Claire, I hope you will get a lot of relief from CBT. I am sure this will take time but its time worth spent. Keep us posted..

My Son, 27 is in neuro- therapy/bio feedback, which is brain training. His brain locks in hyper alert mode and as stress levels rise, we can wait for a seizure. Therapy is helping him big time, it’s a long road though… expect he will have anywhere from 50/100 sessions. He loves his therapist so makes it easy to go, he has both talk therapy and neuro-therapy/bio feedback. Both Id highly recommend, but more importantly my Son who has E, also highly recommends.

Let us know how the CBT works for you. I hope you start to feel positive changes soon.

I took 12 weeks of CBT and the group was great. Just remember to not believe one-way thoughts. theres plenty of paths to take.
hope it works for you.

Thanks everyone!

I had my third CBT session yesterday. The therapist is lovely and I am learning so much about myself. In a way all I have gone through has been a blessing in disguise. I didn't realise how much stress and worry I was holding in.

I am only having 6 sessions of CBT and then 6 sessions of counselling to deal with past issues which I am sure will be helpful. I can get re-referred for more CBT after the counselling as the NHS only allows 12 sessions in total per referral.

I am hoping that the counselling will help me get over the past including the issues I have had/still having with my sister, past sexual abuse by a family friend (it has been so hard for me to type that phrase) and my general worrying about everything, even things that haven't even happened!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that info Bernard. That first paragraph really made sense to me. Both times I had my seizure, I probably had months of built up stress and worry. My thoughts on the evening of the one in July probably just pushed me over the edge, combined with some sort of tummy bug I had, coming off the pill, heavy period and massive family stress. My poor brain could take no more!!!

Back
Top Bottom