Comfort in life?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
A question for epileptic people (same as me). What do you think is more important, less seizures or your comfort in life?

I take Vimpat which causes memory loss, extreme difficulty sleeping, it makes me very tired (30 min post), many dental problems (dry mouth). Well I will see my neurologist soon and tell her I'm going to stop taking it. But my father says that I must take it because he must take me the hospital. But he's unaware that there is a limit for every epileptic person and the meds they're willing to take.

Hi finalpoet,

I would have to say comfort in life. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yeah quality of life is key. People define it in different ways of course. And what the parameters are can change over time, at least they have for me.

Definitely quality of life is most important.

How I would have answered this 9 years ago when seizures started, however, would have been "control of seizures is most important" because at that time I felt my quality of life depended on seizure control.

Jen, I am almost exactly the same. My seizures started about 9 years ago but mine started very mildly, it took a while before I had a TC. And I began the same, I wanted control over my epilepsy. But I see the meds have some harsh side effects and I realized it's really a balance. The least or easiest side effects with the least seizures.

comfort in life. I've had epilepsy nearly 40 years. After trying every med combo
including Vimpat I'm getting ready to make the final decision on surgery. After having it for so long I've grown accustomed to it. Will having surgery change my quality of life for the positive nobody can say for sure? What I know from doctors are they want to make your life the be the best it can be. I'd trust your doctor and ask him if there is another med combo you can try.

Back
Top Bottom