Company Policy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BuckeyeFan

Grandpa
Reaction score
I ran across an actual company policy for employees with seizure disorders. It is mostly basic, common sense material and I believe it is pretty good policy. However, since it is not widely known about, I believe I have broken it many times.

Two items I have an issue with. These are for any employee having had a seizure within the last 6 months.

1) It states that no employee who has had a seizure should ever work alone. Woohoo, this means no more overtime for me if I have a seizure. I work alone in the evenings and weekends more weeks than I do not (due to workload).

2) It does not define the type of seizure. I have been TC free for 6+ years, however I have had auras and simple partials. Do those count?

I am thinking about approaching the medical department to help them upgrade the language in this policy.

Note: They have similar policies for several other conditions as well.

Good for you! Let us know how it goes.

I would have to question a policy that includes less severe simple partial seizures where consciousness and cognitive functioning are not impaired enough to be a safety or work performance concern.

Yes this policy does seem strange. Although I am not able to be alone upfront unless someone comes to check on me every half hour, or they call me every so often. So that could be some help for you too. Just have people you know call you every so often, and if after 3 tries they can't get a hold of you, they come down or call 911. If you have night security *after hours* then they are perfectly capable to come check on you. In fact, its their job to do that, to make sure your not doing anything that you are not supposed to be doing.

Technically NO employee is supposed to work alone, as there is alot that can happen. Even a seemingly healthy person can have a heart attack, asthma attack, seizure etc while nobody is around. Not to mention the possiblility of choking, falling off something, falling onto something, something falling on you, severe injuries, eletrocution, being robbed etc, at least you have someone there to help you if anything does happen.

Edit: I know that the above seems a little farfetched in most places of work, but its put into place so that employers can covers their butts should any of the above happen. I think my old place even had flooding, fires, animal attacks, mutilation, and being crushed on there. I worked in an optical store where the scariest thing on most days was the Bug-Eyed sunglasses

Last edited:
It is weird (and possibly illegal) to declare that employees with seizures cannot work alone. Unless there is a particular safety reason for this (dangerous equipment, etc.) then it feels discriminatory. That is, in order to enforce or maintain this policy, and employee would have to eventually disclose their disability to people who have no legal right to that information.

Since the policy does not distinguish between various kinds of seizures, it goes against the spirit (if not letter) of the law. Normally, such matters are to be decided on an individual basis, i.e. Can this person do this job?

-B

Well in Canada *at least in Manitoba* you are required to fill out a medical form once you are hired. For safety reasons. Like emergency contacts, allergies, conditions that could potentially arise during work hours. First aid instructions for such emergencys. They also ask you if you chose to be resucitated or not, and whether you wish to recieve blood transfusions. in case you are incapable of telling someone at the time of emergency. There is usually about 3 pages worth of quetions, because again, they need to cover their butt, and save yours should anything happen. its better safe than sorry. But putting restrictions on what a person is allowed to do because of one's condition is wrong. like you said Brent. Its whether or not the person can DO the job and do it safely and to procedure.

I used to be a mechanic assistant in the back shop. also worked on a few trailers. but I am not comfortable being back their until I am controlled. Nail guns and Miter Saws could be dangerous if I have a seizure, as well as lifting heavy equipment parts and/or installing them over top of me. So I chose to take over data entry and parts orders.

Right. Like I should probably not fly passenger jets, but I do work in a private office. My employer knows I have seizures (I've had a few at work), but my position warrants a private office, so that's where I work.

Is there an increased risk? Well, I would be more concerned about my coworker who smokes and eats chili-dogs for breakfast.

I think people get uptight about seizures because they look serious and have a certain amount of mythology surrounding them. Most people don't realize that, generally speaking, they are no big deal medically.

I have my coworkers trained to check the clock as soon as they notice, and to not worry about until at least 5 minutes have passed. Anymore, they pretty well go about their business otherwise.

Of course, I'm never really alone. My service dog is with me and she pretty well knows what to do.

-B

Aw! you have a service dog! thats awesome. I would like one, but my apartment doesnt allow dogs. But my cats are pretty well responsive to it. They have pawed at me when im down or lick my nose, nip at my fingers and toes. They dont do that when Im in bed unless I am tossing and turning. Then they lye beside me so I know that they are there so I dont have such a restless sleep, knowing I cant move or i'd squish them.

so I guess they realize that when it looks like I am having a restless sleep on the floor, that they should try to wake me up.

What breed is your dog, and does he/she only do seizure response? Because I think that would be a great idea for those people who work in a private office, if you can train the dog to bark loudly and constantly until someone comes to your aid.

At least they have a policy but it would be a good move to have better definitions. Me working alone is a safety concern for my wife. It scares her when it happens and a policy if put together correctly can for sure be good for anyone with a seizure disorder. That is a real big IF.

I know the laws in Canada are somewhat different regarding service animals, but in the states most apartments pretty well have to allow them. (There are a few minor exceptions to the rule.)

Zoe is a Border Collie and she goes with me everywhere. In fact, the only time we are apart is when my wife runs with her in the morning (which helps tone down the crazy a bit ... for both of them). She alerts me anywhere from a few minutes to a few seconds before I have a seizure. Generally, on a day when I am going to have a major one she acts restlessly - like today. That lets me know to be careful. Just before I have one, if I am sitting she will either push up against me and not allow me to get up and/or take my hand or sleeve and pull me toward the floor. If I am standing, she will take my hand or sleeve and make it clear I need to sit down.

When I am having a seizure, she stay pressed up against my side and just quietly watches over me.

We actually don't know what she would do if something more serious occurred. My family and coworkers have found us on the floor and don't know how long we had been there, but she just stays with me. She's a smart cookie, and she knows how to find particular people by name, so I think she might go for help if she figured I needed it. I don't know. Another nice thing is that we play hide and seek, so anytime she doesn't know where I am, she methodically searches the area until she finds me. That'll probably come in handy some day.

Aside from that, she does a million small things. She will pick up nearly anything I ask her to and bring it to me. Not too handy because with my seizures, if I am lucid enough to ask for something I am coordinated enough to get it myself. But, she likes it. The more jobs she has to do the more happy she is. She likes to pick up laundry that might be laying around on the floor. In the mornings she will go get a pair of socks out of the sock drawer for me. We're working on getting the correct color to coordinate with my pants. :)

-B

Aw, do you have a picture of Zoe?

I got all melty when you described what she does. Animals are amazing. Truly your best friends.

My job would rarely put me at any risk of injury. When I do go out to the factory, I am not alone. The alone part is working late or weekends in my office.

My wife does call and check on me if I am later than expected. She is nice about it and usually justs asks about something else.

When I worked in the factory 25 years ago, those rules would have made sense for me.

Back
Top Bottom