Complex vs simple

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I should from experience know but that is what the forum is for. What is the difference between complex and simple partial seizures?

Simple partials are also known as auras so can be lead up to a stronger seizure eg complex partial or tonic clonic .

With me I am alert with my simple partials but lose awareness with my complex partials.
I either stare into space or do odd things, I don’t know about the odd things unless I have witnesses or things are moved.

Hi finalpoet,

When I have a simple partial seizure (aura) I just get a nervousness in my stomach and see colors flashing back and forth in my eyes but I'm conscious the entire time. When I have a complex partial seizure the same thing happens but then I blank out, wander around, smack my lips, and sometimes hear one word repeated over and over again and when I come out of the seizure I often find myself in a different room but I don't remember going there. My Dr. told me when I have a complex partial seizure both sides of my brain are also firing up triggering the seizure but when I have an aura seizure only1 side of the brain is firing up triggering the seizure. Also complex partial seizures last longer for me than a simple partial seizure. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Simple partials usually feature sensory disturbances or distortions -- migraines, illusions, hallucinations, feelings of dread/nausea, deja vu, jamais vu, etc. Basically, weird feelings.

In complex partials the person has impaired awareness. There can be automatic behaviors like Sue describes -- lip-smacking, wandering round, staring, picking at clothes, saying and doing things without remembering. It's a bit like sleepwalking.

Officially, simple partials are now called "focal onset aware seizures" and complex partials are called "focal impaired awareness seizures", but many people (including my neuro) use the older terms. "Focal" is basically the same as "partial" -- the seizure starts in specific focal points in the brain. Whereas in a tonic-clonic or an absence seizure, the whole brain is involved.

Simple partials usually feature sensory disturbances or distortions -- migraines, illusions, hallucinations, feelings of dread/nausea, deja vu, jamais vu, etc. Basically, weird feelings.

My auras / simple partials are usually dream like visions and I usually start spacing out while in the dream. Before my surgery it was just a dream then after the surgery it started with a noice then noise followed by vision now its different dreams.

In complex partials the person has impaired awareness. There can be automatic behaviors like Sue describes -- lip-smacking, wandering round, staring, picking at clothes, saying and doing things without remembering. It's a bit like sleepwalking.

My neurologist did once describe it like sleepwalking, especially my night seizures and my neuropsych described it like being in auto pilot mode where you continue doing things while in seizure.

Officially, simple partials are now called "focal onset aware seizures" and complex partials are called "focal impaired awareness seizures", but many people (including my neuro) use the older terms. "Focal" is basically the same as "partial" -- the seizure starts in specific focal points in the brain. Whereas in a tonic-clonic or an absence seizure, the whole brain is involved.
I can't get used to the new terminology as before my surgery they were always simple / complex then when they returned they're focal.
My neuro calls them focal but i call them simple or complex lol.

Hi. During my simple partials, I'm aware of everything around me. I get a very weird, hard to describe feeling the back of my head. They actually start on the right side of my head, & spread to the top/front. Sometimes it spreads all over my head. If nobody witnesses it, have no idea about what's happened when a complex partial occurs unless I do something to myself or my surroundings.

With me simple partials are when I feel my head get strange, it starts to shift kind of away and then it shifts back, strange feeling but usually pretty quick. The complex partials, it starts slow, kinda foggyish and then I start shifting to my other world. Usually things I still see in this world but it is from a distance as I shift away where I have no knowledge of anything. Slowly I shift back and be normal again with a headache ��

Back
Top Bottom